Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A more attractive overflow bottle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by menacekustoms, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Simple bracket - works great.

IMG_5691.JPG

wingnutz, Model T1, spuds and 2 others like this.
  2. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Lots of great ideas on this topic. I love the Pyrene fire extinguisher, and the polished canteen looks really, really good.

Can you show another photo of how you mounted the canteen?

Muttley likes this.
  3. I use an old paint pot mine has paint on it but they polish up good .

4. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

5. alchemy

alchemy

When you get to cleaning up the wiring and other stuff, take a look at your fuel line. It looks pinched between the filter and carb.

6. I used this can on a '32 pickup I had a couple of years ago. Tim 004.JPG

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. My two!
    COLEMAN R&R 054.JPG
    COLEMAN R&R 006.JPG
    overflow 001.JPG
    overflow 003.JPG

Model T1 likes this.
  8. The pinched hose is really just loom. The actual fuel line is not pinched inside.

I just got a bunch of cool old medical glass from my grandfather. I might be able to find something in there.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Glad to see this thread. I was thinking of starting one like. I loose some coolant in my roadster over time and it's hard to keep up with it. Yeah I know it is because my radiator is so low. I don't want something that is so cute that it jumps out at you. Leaning toward a plastic Marvel Mystery Oil quart bottle because it is an old product and it is red but not sure how I'll mount it. I'm keeping my eye on this thread. Keep posting.

10. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

After 60+ years the washer 'bottle' broke, this was an exact fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may not want glass, but for us it's what was used for the washer.

Bob

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  11. Thanks! That picture helps a lot. I probably will go with glass, it's "right".

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Lots of drinking water, "water bottles" out there, everything from plastic to spun aluminum, and stainless steel. What about that "coil bracket" bolted to the head? You've got to do something with that. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I used a Rolling Rock bottle.....

14. AZbent

AZbent

I know what you mean about the wiring, that is the first thing I saw. At work, if the job doesn't look good, it probably wasn't done right. I am sorry, but the wiring doesn't look good. I don't mean to change the subject.

15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Man that looks like a colostomy bag.
    I just put a PBR can up against the inner fender and massively achieved the red neck look.
    Theres alot of winning ideas here. I think I need a spun aluminium water bottle.

16. Lol, colostomy bag. Like I said, wiring is next on the list. You should see the wire nuts on the bottom of the car! Over all it's not bad wiring, just no thought as to routing or aesthetics. I agree about the coil, but I'm limited until I get new plug wires.

17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

A billet overflow painted black if needed looks OK, how much attention do you want to draw to it. Some of the cans, pop, beer, desert water bags, etc. look gimmicky to me.

18. I got a reproduction finned oil cooler (Filcoolator) Style from the garage sale section of Speedway for free (wasn't a gift or anything it was listed as having a pinhole leak, which I haven't found) a while back. I wanted to try and reconfigure it for a housing for a filter if I go with a full flow oiling system on the flatty. I am now leaning on configuring it for an overflow. Overkill...maybe, but I will use it one way or another.

19. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the one I used on my '32. Maybe not for everyone's taste but I liked it.

DSC01489.JPG

Model T1 likes this.
  20. gatz

gatz

the leather strap looks good on that Jack Daniels bottle.

would a SS Thermos bottle work ?

[​IMG]

21. This is the Dollar canteen in my old Roadster...

engine 1.jpg May Hardy\'s 09 3.jpg

Model T1 and Max Gearhead like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

23. [​IMG] Made from a Huey fuel pressure reservoir and DC3 airframe clevises. Sits on top of the spring hanger for the suicide axle

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The one above is one of the better ones.

Ago

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sometimes a simple question that seems so obvious turns into a really good thread. This is one of the good ones. Lots of great ideas here.

26. Road Runner

Road Runner

Period correct puke bottle ...

[​IMG]

27. This thread has me thinking about the lack of a overflow bottle/tank on my Deuce pickup and after seeing what some of you guys have done I remembered a had a couple of tall glass SHELL oil bottles and this is what I have decided to use...I'll post photo's after I gather up all the hardware to mount and cap it. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Like someone said- if you're looking for "clean", just buy one and paint it black.Or make one from copper pipe and paint it to match your radiator hoses.All those beer cans and additive containers do just the opposite of clean- they focus attention on something you're trying to make go away.Just my 2 cents worth- don't mean to step on any toes-It's up to the individual.

seadog likes this.
  29. Yep....and I like the old FE upper brass antifreeze tanks(picture not needed). Some can be cut down and brazed.....or...... you can find other styles similar, and maybe a better fit....between grille/cowl support rods. Brass always looks like it was always there.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  30. pitman

pitman

Something about Schlitz beer cans.