Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gennie Shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Rodney, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Well I installed a Gennie Shifter. The company is actually somewhat obscure - no big flashy magazine ads. I even thought they might be out of business. I ended up locating them on Ebay under the user name "vintage auto" not realizing it was actually the Gennie company. My previous car was equipped with a Lokar. Now Lokar makes some fine products (specifically throttle cables and headlight conduits), but I found the shifter to be a bit glitchy; the button had to be manipulated quite precisely in order to move the lever. The Gennie conversely is very smooth and intuitive - it moves similarly to a column shifter, only on the floor: pull it toward you to release the lockout and select your gear. And it's great using any shift knob you want! I've found an old Bakelite 4-speed knob I'm going to screw on it.

hotrodharry2 and loudbang like this.
  2. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I've got a Gennie on my C4---like it real well. I can't seem to get the neutral safety switch quite right, tho----

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ive always liked gennie products. I dont care for the push button shift knob either.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

have a gennie on my powerglide and it is a manual shift so I am using it all the time...I love it, works great.

5. OFT

OFT

I have a gennie shifter on the old funky truck since 1980. Been working fine all these years.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think it boils down to personal preference. My one Son has a Gennie in his rpu and when I have moved the car I find the shifter a little indecisive.........have to guess a little which gear it is in. But it is ok. I have had a Lokar in my 23 and my other Son has one in his T bucket, and we have both replaced the small knob with the adapter and a bigger knob. That makes it much easier to use IMO, all you do is put your palm on it and shove down.

But both Lokar and Gennie do what they are supposed to do. In fact, I have an American Shifter that I am going to use on my own rpu, I bought it just to see how it was compared to the Lokar, and it seems fine too, when I mocked it up on the trans.

Don

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ebay search doesn't show anything close to your "vintage auto" as far as shifters go. ???????????????

8. yea it's there, vintageauto is the name. (no space)
    -Pat

9. Love gennies, had a few through the years

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  10. Gennie Shifter

Gennie Shifter
    from Colorado

Thanks for being Customers ,we love reading the feedback !

Uncle Ronn and jackandeuces like this.
  11. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Gennie's website confuses me a little. I guess I have to order the mechanism, then choose the shifter lever style, and order that separately?

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I like my Gennie, especially being able to use whatever knob I want.

13. X2 on the neutral safety switch. When I installed the Gennie Shifter in the '35, the neutral safety switch kept shorting out the electronic ignition module.

14. But I love my shifter. Have them in both my cars.

15. Gennie Shifter

Gennie Shifter
    from Colorado

@MikeRose We are working on that on the backend of the website right now . You need to pick the Brackets you need , the shift mechanism , and the stick . Hope this helps

16. Gennie Shifter

Gennie Shifter
    from Colorado

@37hotrod thats a new one on me never heard that before , if you need a new switch let us know .

17. I looked at the Gennie website to get an idea for a shifter for my '51, assuming I put in a TH350. The Gennie website has several steps as to how to "select the correct shifter", but I certainly could not get through the 4 or 5 steps. It was frustrating for me.

18. I'm looking at purchasing one for my car right now. I like being able to use whatever knob I want. I just need to figure out the length I need for my shifter.

19. fordcpe

fordcpe

I have the older style Gennie bought in 2001 and have loved it since.It is on my 34 Ford with C4 trans.Darrell car parts 030.jpg

Gennie Shifter likes this.
  20. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Had one in my 50 Ford car and loved it. Just picked one up for my 5o Chevy pickup last weekend. Wouldn't build a vehicle without one. I think I am going to have to get one of those commander swan shifters. Those things are 10 kinds of awesome.

21. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Had them in lots of my cars!

22. Gennie Shifter

Gennie Shifter
    from Colorado

Hello ,

Working on a solution for simplicity but in the meantime Pick
    1.shift mechanism
    2. brackets
    3. stick

Thanks !

23. Besides the smoothness of operation, I like the fact you can fit your own stick to the "Lo-Stik" shifter.

Curious how that happened?

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Went to the Gennie website and just for curiosity went through and picked all the components for a shifter for a C4.
    Picked the shifter and a mounting kit and the 12" Commander stick and a basic shift knob.
    :eek: WTF $370 ??
    Seems a little high IMO.

25. Had Lokar in my first 32 and Gennie in my last one. Liked both but had to relearn the Gennie after not driving the car for a while. Forgot to pull it toward my knee to move it. Hate old age.

26. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Doesn't sound right. The one I just bought was almost $100 less than that.

27. hotrodscott2003

hotrodscott2003

I've got a Gennie in my '52 Chevy PU on a TH400 and LOVE it! I used to sell both Lokar and Gennie shifters, etc., working at a hot rod shop (RB's Obsolete...a LONG time ago), and you guys are right...it's more of a personal preference thing. Both are quality products. I prefer Gennie's, no matter how hard they are to find! I will always recommend them first over Lokar. Again, my preference.

Gennie Shifter likes this.
  28. Gennie Shifter

Gennie Shifter
    from Colorado

The Commander stick adds about 80 to the price over the standard stainless stick setup .

29. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I can't find it on E-Bay but than I am not any good at finding stuff there. So can you make it simple for me and post the address here Thanx