Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A more attractive overflow bottle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by menacekustoms, Oct 16, 2014.

1. As you might have seen, I recently acquired a very nice 1934 Ford 5-Window. I've been going through it, adjusting, cleaning, polishing and driving the thing. So far, it runs much better and it's looking much better. There is one eyesore though, the overflow bottle. The bracket and bottle that are on the car are ugly and out of place. It blocks the view from one whole side of the engine. There's not a lot of space under there, and I would like something that is "period possible" not some fancy billet aluminum piece that will stick out like a sore thumb. Any suggestions?

Here's the culprit:
    [​IMG]

I really just want a more sanitary engine bay. You gotta show of the Flathead! Thanks HAMBers!

2. Oh Yeah, That would have to go. Have you tried getting by without an overflow bottle at all? I don't have one on either of my hot-rods. There might be an occasional spit out the overflow tube that I just have running down the side of the radiator, nothing substantial though.

Dooley and 40fordtudor like this.
  3. No, I just got the car last weekend, and I just got it running right today, so I haven't tried running with out it. It is ugly though isn't it?

4. AZbent

AZbent

That engine compartment is busy. Wires going all over the place. If you really need an overflow container, and you can't find something suitable, just buy one of the billet overflows and paint it black. That way it will not stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Model T1 and clem like this.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

See if you need it. If all is well, an unpressurized system like '34 Ford will, when first filled, spit out some water via overflow tube as it warms up. As it cools down after use, the result is or should be water above radiator core but below full to the brim. This will be stable, and if topped off again will simply recur. If yours behaves thus, ain't no need for the bottle. If it continues to go down in use something is wrong. Give it a try.
    I remember when they sold those bottles and brackets in the proto-Kmart type stores in the early '70's...

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. AZbent, yes it is. Wiring is my pet peeve so it's driving me nuts. I wanted to get it running right before I started messing with it though.

Bruce, I'll try just taking it off and see what happens. I don't know that it needs it, I haven't driven it enough. It doesn't seem to run too warm though, so I should be ok.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Cword

Cword

Pyrene fire extunguisher? Vintage Sealer (canning jar, give the ladies something to point out)?

8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

A beer can nestled down by the lower side of the radiator with a hose going to it.as was said once they burp out to a level it likes it should be fine.And yes that jug is so wrong .

ridgy didge and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. many of the early aftermarket ones were nothing more than heavy glass quart canning jars with screw on lids that had 2 holes for inlet & overflow hoses drilled in the lids. They had a bracket to mount them either to the inner fender or to the front on either side betwee the radiator & inner fender.
    I found an original Chevy tank for my 46 coupe that is a painted metal canister that I will installin a couple of weeks to the right or the front between the rediator & inner fender.
    Possibly you could make one out of hot water rated 3" pvc pipe & glue a cap on each end & drill the holes and insert metal tubing in top for overflo & stick in the hose from the radiator. You could paint to match inner fender color & not stand out. If you want something to show use 3" hard drawn copper tubing & solder on end caps & polish.

Here's the culprit:
    [​IMG]

I really just want a more sanitary engine bay. You gotta show of the Flathead! Thanks HAMBers![/QUOTE]

10. DSCN5564 small.jpg This is what I'm using. 1938 Rainier beer can in my 38 Chevy coupe

11. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

I used a pyrene fire extinguisher.. it came out great, and gets plenty of attention. This is the only picture I have on my phone right now

Attached Files:

40fordtudor and tommyd like this.
  12. flatblackdave

flatblackdave

13. sdroadster

sdroadster

WW2 canteen looks good. Lots of them on Ebay.

14. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

BrassWorks makes a really thin overflow tank intended to be mounted beside the radiator inside the grille shell...fits 32 thru 34. However, it needs a drain with a valve to be added

15. A vintage aluminum canteen makes a cool looking overflow tank,heck a beer bottle would be a huge improvement on what you have now. HRP

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Man, there's a lot of good ideas here. Canning jar would look appropriate I think.

17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

18. A Marvel Mystery oil can would add a nice vintage look. HRP

[​IMG]

19. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

How about an old Jack Daniels bottle?:D

40fordtudor likes this.
  20. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i use a malibu rum bottle... perfect for a vintage malibu!!

21. stimpy

stimpy

the can can be mounted anywhere as its a siphon controlled by the radiator , they took the a bottle mount on my Pontiac and put a mason jar in its place with a pipe thru the lid that went to the bottom on one side from the radiator and it had a hole with a j shaped brass pipe soldered on the other side to vent .and it was set down low so it was out of the way . and this wasn't a recent set up by the corrosion it had on it .

22. fleetside66

fleetside66

1946 spun aluminum smoothie maker.
    [​IMG]

23. Now that is pure class! HRP

falcongeorge likes this.
  24. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Maybe an old metal brake fluid can. I like the copper pipe with soldered on cap idea too. Nothing plastic, at all. Voltage regulator body color too, or Ford green to match the engine. Nice Car! Good Luck!

25. Yeah, the voltage regulator bugs me too. This is the downside of the HAMB, too many good ideas, lol!

26. indyjps

indyjps

http://m.ebay.com/itm/330800300598. Triangular windshield washer bottle and bracket, peel the label off if it bothers you. Would have been an easy pick in the junkyard and period correct. Trico made a bunch of them too if the GM part is offensive.

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Speedway sells stainless steel catch cans for cheep. I have one on each of my cars.

28. silversink

silversink

I have a Ford script anti freeze can I'm saving for mine

29. I used a 1947 military canteen I bought at a rummage sale for a dollar.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

There is a huge thread on here with tons of ideas.