Register now to get rid of these ads!

17 year old VS 1928 Model A Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nelsoncoupe, Jul 6, 2014.

1. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

The body is from an ex drag car from the Bay Area. When I get home I'll take
    More photos of the cage and the interior because it's really well done. It's different. There are ribs going down the body all along the interior.

Hold my beer and watch this!

dana barlow likes this.
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Tagging along on this build,you will probly know some history on your car before the night is over,if i know this place.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Your pic of a really nice looking black A roadster is super,that one indeed cool to me too. As for low,well many now seem to over do the low thing so far in the name of so called "Cool" that with some I think its over done and can't clear the many speedbumps an driveway humps we have. Thats when it stops looking cool to me,at that point were there is no longer a clear space in center of rod between front and back axles of around 3in.=about safe for most bumps,less is to me a undriveible looking rod. There is nothing cool about undrivible,thats the hole point too me

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    patmanta likes this.
  4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You lucky stiff! That is a very cool start. Wish somebody had given me something like that at 17. Or at 47, for that matter. :D Now, on to the geezerly advice--which, at 17, you are free to ignore, just as I probably would have.

Find out right now what the titling requirements are in your state. Yeah, I know, buzz kill--but this could save you a sh*tload of grief later. In my state, for an assembled vehicle, they want to see a notorized bill of sale on all major components (body, frame, engine, etc.). Ask the person who gave you the body for a notorized bill of sale or gift delcaration. Get something on paper. Do the same when you buy the frame and engine, presuming you get them from a private party. If it's from a business, a regular receipt might be enough. Check the rules.

Now, maybe you're already an old hand at this (I got my first car at 12), and if not, perhaps you have an old pro buddy to help you out. Otherwise, my advice is to buy a complete chassis if you can. So much easier to when you start out with all components in place, so you know where everything goes--you can upgrade piece by piece from there with drop axel and etc. I've seen a lot of new guys burn out trying to assemble from scratch. It would be better still if that complete chassis has a title, but that's a tall order.

OK, enough of pretending to be your father. Go hit the swap meets and have fun! :)

HEMI32 and harpo1313 like this.
  5. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

I got the body for free...

6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I know it was free--that's why I called you a lucky stiff! But when you go to apply for a title, your state will probably want paperwork on major components. Mine does. So get a document saying it was a gift. Or get a bill of sale for some token amount. Just get something on paper, preferably notorized. That way you'll be driving your cool roadster much sooner!

dana barlow likes this.
  7. 117harv

117harv

Why did you start another thread? Did you recieve the parts that were offered?

8. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

I started another thread because I didn't know if everybody would see plus I hadn't posted for a while. I wanted to start over since now the build is finally underway.

9. oldsman41

oldsman41

clark has the right idea get some paper on it before you start spending money. you may save tourself alot of headaches, and moola.

10. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats, great start!

11. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413249517.336972.jpg

These are the ribs I was talking about. They make me feel somewhat safer but I'm still riding in a damn soda can!

12. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

Here are the ribs in the body. Anyone ever see anything like this? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413297902.794730.jpg

13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

looks like that body was rodded or raced at some point in its past. If the body is straight as it sits, I'd leave it alone. Grind that gnarly, jagged stuff off the pipe though. Otherwise you WILL eventually get snagged on it and it will hurt; there's plenty of better ways to get hurt.

14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you're set on channeling, get yourself an original Model A frame with good numbers on it. From what i can tell, that body looks like it is already set up for a 4" channel on an A frame. The numbers on the frame can be used to title the car. Make sure you get a legal Bill of Sale on it; you'll need that.

The thin ribs look like they're just there to keep the sheetmetal from flopping all around. It's there in lieu of the original body structure, subframe, and wood. I'd leave them be. I'd also leave the vintage cage alone, just clean up the sharp edges. It will make for a cool look when you open the doors and make your car stand apart for sure. Besides, it's part of the cars history (not to mention its structure). Hell, you might be able to run with no doors even!

Also, X2 to @dana barlow , 7" of channel and a deep Z sounds like too much. If you want to go LOW, put in a 32 style crossmember from So-Cal, reverse eye springs, drop axle, and consider running later wishbones with the spring hangers on the front or using spring behind mounts to locate the spring even lower.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Interesting frame work,long as none ends up in the way of something you plan doing,seems like far add to stiffen body a little. This maybe handy for sizes as ya work;
    1928-29_Ford A Roadster.jpg

nelsoncoupe and patmanta like this.
  16. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

17. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/30-31-model-a-chassis.923904/

Is anyone passing through Nebraska to CA with an empty trailer? This is a complete chassis with engine. Chassis has no numbers but engine does. It has everything.

For some reason the link isn't working. Look under "parts for sale" and you'll see it. Posted today or last night.

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

As smooth as those rails look, the number should still be there somewhere. May need to be raised chemically.

In my experience though, trying to find the BIG or HEAVY things locally is a better way to go. Set up alerts on your local CL for Model A frames.

19. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

So the guy who gave me the roadster body sold all the other stuff. There may have been a miscommunication but I thought I was getting everything. Sadly all I got was the body. And the reason I started two threads is because I hadn't posted on there for a long time and I was worried nobody would see. Also I'm not sure how to do anything on the forum other than reply to a topic and post photos.

20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Nothing to be sad about. Just more stuff to gather, NBD. You might luck out and come across a rolling chassis that someone's replacing.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

Does anyone know if a roadater body will work on a 29 two door sedan? I may be able to buy a full car for 3 grand, but if I do I wanna build this... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413416472.529259.jpg

The car currently looks like this... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413416498.146067.jpg

22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Pretty much same "A" frame from 1928 to 1931,a few holes were in other places but thats about it.

23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Slippery slope there. Easy to get sidetracked buying more bodies. I speak from experience.

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

You are going to build a '32 sedan out of a '28 roadster?

HEMI32 likes this.
  25. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Do yourself a favor and buy a daily driver. Doesn't have to be much like a cheap no optioned s10 or Toyota pickup for running parts and daily commute then build the roadster for fun. You start mixing the words daily driver with hot rod or in my younger days race car and it becomes a headache trying to merge the two together. My dad alway said if you want a race car buy "a race car" but have something else to make sure you can get your but to school or work Monday morning. Just my 2 cents.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

dana barlow and patmanta like this.
  26. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Such a lovely dry sense of humor. I like that.
    Reminds me of an experience we had around '74/'75. We were out driving in one of the remotest parts of south west Ireland, and decided to call it a day and drive home, so my Dad pulled over to ask an old farmer standing by the roadside, what's the best way to get to Bantry. So the old guy looks up the road, looks down the road and pauses for a minute.
    Then he leans through the window and says in that defeatist manner, the Irish master so perfectly, "Well for sure, if I were heading for Bantry, I wouldn't be starting from here."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Robert Crosse likes this.
  27. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

......or turn left at the last intersection. :rolleyes:

Visiting friends in New Bedford Mass, towing the camper, DW driving.
    said she...."I'm not sure how to get there from here."
    said I...."turn left at the red light ahead"
    After we passed the light...
    "you missed it!!, why didn't you turn?"
    "it was green"

Never argue....she was right, it was green.o_O

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    dana barlow likes this.
  28. Robert,
    That is funny, I'm still giggling while replying.
    Keith

29. missysdad1

missysdad1

If you are not in love with the idea of building, owning and driving a roadster - believe me, roadsters are a whole different world than closed cars! - then peddling your roadster body will get you a long ways towards owing that sedan. And frankly, starting with a complete sedan is probably a far, far better idea than trying to p iece together a roadster...for a guy in your situation. Give it some thought.