Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone from Rhode Island here? Looking for history on vintage slingshot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasserx, Oct 16, 2014.

1. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Is there anyone from Rhode Island or nearby on here? Im trying to find some more history on my slingshot dragster, but im kind of stuck without getting more information from one of the previous owners. His name is Bob Medeiros, and as far as i know he lived in Rhode Island at the time he owned it - and might still do.
    Does anyone here know him or remember him?
    He owned the car from 1988 to 1999. Not sure if he ever took it to the track, but if he did, i would love to see pics of it from that period also. Actually, any names and slingshots, vintage cars or info from the late 80`s in that area is of interest - i might find someone who knows him. Unless he was hiding the car for 10 years, someone must know.
    Main goal would be to pinpoint on the map where he bought it, that would be a major clue for me!

2. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Must admit I don't remember the name.

I am sure someone on this site might be able to help you. I am in R.I. a few times a year but the name does not ring any bells.

Jimbo

3. Church Key

Church Key

I know Bob Mederios. He has had two dragster since I have known him. The car I think you are referring to... Was a Woody Gilmore about 170 inches long. The chassis was painted red with a black body. It had a high reving 283 Chevy. He had a partner Dave Stone who drove the car. Bob did drive, but did not fit the car well. I will have more later.

loudbang likes this.
  4. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Check with Helger bros speed shop Phone:(401) 624-4060 they run the king and Marshall dragster in nostalgia events and know the Rhode Island drag race scene.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Church Key, right now you are my hero! This is awesome news.
    This must be the car:
    [​IMG]
    This picture is taken after Bob sold it i believe.

I havent been able to get hold of Bob myself, but previous owner told me that Bob didnt remember much about what town he bought it and from who (in around -88). I have been told "Canada" - but thats a huge country.
    If Bob could point at a map and say what area he collected it, im far longer in my search.

I would love to hear any details about the car if you can dig up anything. I hate to ask, but if you know him - would you be kind to ask him if he remembers the area it came from? You can send me a private message if you like.

6. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

32 bowtie, i followed your suggestion, and the Helger bros speed shop also knows Bob.
    The HAMB is GREAT!

7. I was with Bob yesterday........................We worked on his new rail. Give me some contact info an I will see he gets it.

8. Church Key

Church Key

I have some pictures to post, but I won't be able to do so until next week. I am following all the info coming.

9. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Thank you so much guys, i really appreciate your help.

10. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Tried to send you a privat message on here CTFuzz, not sure if you got it.
    Looking forward to the pictures Church Key :)

Here is a picture from this Sunday with my daughter checking the view;

[​IMG]

11. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

I have made contact with him now, so no need to bother him any more about it. I got most of the info i needed, and a little bit more.
    Pics however is still very interesting :)

12. Church Key

Church Key

This picture is from New England Dragway. I am guessing around 1999, I should have dated my pictures. Stone and Mederios 1.jpg

13. Church Key

Church Key

Stone and Mederios 2.jpg This is when Bob Mederios and Dave Stone teamed up. They bought a nice pair of Americans to replace the Super Trick wheels. The headers would soon be replaced by a set of zoomies.

14. Church Key

Church Key

15. Church Key

Church Key

These next couple of pictures were from Lebanon Valley NY. Stone and Mederios 5.jpg

16. Church Key

Church Key

A whole group of us went to Lebanon Valley that day. Dave Stone (second from left ) was the sole owner by this time. Bob Mederios sold out to build a door car. My friend Ray Curtis considered buying the car, but did not fit. Stone and Mederios 6.jpg

17. Church Key

Church Key

Tight fit !! GasserX , since you have talked to Bob... fill us in on some more history. Where has this car been since leaving Rhode Island. Stone and Mederios 4.jpg

18. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Oh man, you are AWESOME, thanks a hundred million times! This was very, very cool to see.
    Your friend Ray looked a little too big ;)

If i have the correct information, Bob sold the car in 1999, to a guy name Mike in Brunswick, Maine - he owned it from 1999 to 2004 and used it for bracket racing. Looked the same as on your pictures (when it had flames).
    Then it was sold to Sommerset, PA, and upgraded with a little fortune, and used for vintage racing etc. Previous owner had it for 10 years before i agreed to buy it this summer. They made a 7.04@1/4 mile as best last year.

Well, Bob could tell me that it is a 1969 Woody Gilmore, and originally had a blown hemi, raced Top fuel and that it was from Florida.
    He also said the frontend and cage was changed, but i knew that already (not many FEDs with fixed axle).

He did not collect the car himself when he bought it, but the Canadian guy trailered it down to RI for him.
    Bob says he was from straight above RI, and to the left. Thats not to specific, but i think we are talking about Montreal or Ottawa area. He also said the car was a proven winner and had won many races there.
    There is quite a few old dragstrips to check out, just hard to know what to look for - seems like most people in Quebec speaks FRENCH, and i dont...

Well, i just have to give a big THANKS to those who helped me find Bob, and special thanks to you Church for the pictures - thats priceless.

Now i need help from you Canadian guys!

Here is some up to date pictures of the car :) (Except i dont own engine, as i did buy the roller w/ trans only)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  19. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very cool history for the car.

The HAMB comes through again with someone who knew the car well.

It's always great to know the history behind so many of these great old dragsters.

Jimbo

20. Church Key

Church Key