Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brand new Flathead owner needs some guidance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by menacekustoms, Oct 13, 2014.

1. 97

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And a Moon tank is I guess a fairly high-end auxiliary, just go down to your local junkery and get a tank from a small motor of some sort and a piece of hose...I think you would be much better off getting car into shape on an auxiliary tank so you are not spending your time beside the road wishing the bowl gasket hadn't torn when you went after the ball of varnish and rust that stopped you there...
    And driving a car is an excellent way to slosh cleaners around in the dirty tank.

3. Thanks again Bruce, your input is invaluable. I'm going to drain the tank here in a few minutes, I've been soaking the plug in penetrating oil. We'll see where I stand after that. Then I'm heading to the local parts house for a new inline filter. I also discovered I need a new set of plug wires, so that needs to get ordered as well.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Slopok

Slopok

While you're at the auto parts store getting plug wires pick up a set of Autolite 216 spark plugs. Way better than Champions.

5. sambo

sambo

I'm no Flathead guru-but I was tuning blindly as you are, and as mentioned before, condeser. 90% improved. I really like the aux. gas tank suggestion as well. Gonna try that. Dad's 51 purrs like no car I've driven. Maybe it's the love and respect we all have for the Flathead. But when it's runnin good, it feels better than any other motor! Awesome car you have!!!

6. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

The engine you've got in the car is a later model engine. The 59AB engines were from '46-'48 or a little earlier. That is judging by the picture you posted. If that is the case that is what you go by in tuning and buying parts to rebuild the carburetor and fuel pump.

7. Yeah, I know the motor is later, I think it came out of a 47. He put that engine in for more power and drive ability. I think it has a Merc crank as well. I just picked up NGK B-6Ls, they came highly recommended.

I drained the tank today. There wasn't anything horrible in it. No flakes or anything, a little sediment. It didn't even smell too bad. I put fresh fuel in as well as a new inline filter. I adjusted the points, one wasn't even opening. Then I drove it down the street, got a few hundred yards and something POPPED. Now it won't start. So, the distributor is coming back off. I ordered new points that will be here tomorrow.

8. The rotor broke in half. No wonder it didn't run. Did I do something wrong or was it just an old piece going bad? I don't think you can put it in wrong can you?

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Menace, congratulations on your 34! You are a fortunate fella! Your pictures of the car did not show up on my PC. Anybody reading this thread that can post them?

10. Fixed it. I moved them into a new folder on photobucket. Sorry.