Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Gas Stations with Drag Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

Awesome thread!

Does anyone remember a station that had a Challenger or 'Cuda parked beside a station in the San Fernando Valley as late as the late '90's early 00's? I think it was in Sun Valley.

2. rlsteel

rlsteel

gulf station Salem mo.

Attached Files:

3. rlsteel

rlsteel

Vickers station.

Attached Files:

Stogy, Lazy A, volvobrynk and 4 others like this.
  4. The guy that owned the station, and the Challenger ( white with aqua & pink graphics if I remember right, and 383 engine?), was George. He was a regular attendee at LACR. The gas station was on the south side of Glenoaks Blvd. just before Tuxford St. Not sure if the station is there anymore. George was also buddies with Eddie, at PDQ Auto Salvage just around the corner. I grew up in Sun Valley and worked first at Master Auto Parts, then at Dick Gazan Racing engines, across the street from PDQ.

5. Love this one!

6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Found this one on Hot Rods and Jalopies blog 1b - final ed1.jpg

7. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Love this one, I lived those days and remember them like yesterday. The problem is the only pictures I have are in my memory bank. I don't think I ever held a camera until I was in the army.
    I worked in a service station and after the boss went home the real work started. Then test and tune on the streets Wow those were the days. Ron

loudbang likes this.
  8. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

9. BobG

BobG

We had several gas stations around here that had drag cars, just something lost in time.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Most gas stations don't even have garages anymore.

Dustin

Stogy likes this.
  11. Utahvette

Utahvette

pitkin brown.jpg Pitkin and Brown record holder from Salt Lake City.

12. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Since nobody else has done it, I'll bump this thread. There's got to be more neat photos on this subject out there.

Stogy likes this.
  13. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

Here's my contribution. I don't know much about Walt Orr other than he was a local drag racer and owned a gas/service station. The important part is that he always parked his latest racer out front, which I loved seeing as we'd drive by when I was a kid, and he had the memorable sign out front, "Home of the Fossil." This is an earlier Fossil than the one I grew up seeing, but it's pretty bitchin'.

Attached Files:

14. ...the only (lousy) pic I have of my 56 at the Shell station I worked at all thru high school... bikes 015.jpg

15. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Two neighborhood friends that were 5 years older than me worked at the local 76 gas station. This station was definitely a hang-out for gearhead kids and the owner was pretty cool. In the mid 70s, these two guys pooled their money together and built a 63 Nova drag car that they ran at OCIR. They would leave it at the station and work on it on days off or at night. It had a 327/Powerglide. It was not registered for the street, so it had to be towed. The tow car was a 1964 Chevelle 300 2-door sedan and had a real 1968 Z/28 302 engine/4-speed and hauled ass. The joke in our circle of friends was that the tow car was faster than the race car!!
    BTW, I'm still friends with these guys. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    jakespeed63, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.

16. NHRA Safety Safari at Mobilgas Station (circa 1954).jpg
    The NHRA Safety Safari at a Mobilgas Station (circa 1954)​

17. Muldowney dragster at Sinclair Station.jpg
    Muldowney dragster at a Sinclair Station​

18. Iseli Brothers Dragster.jpg
    The Iseli Bros. first dragster​

19. Although these three Hot Rods spent most of their life on the street, they also ran at the Fremont Dragstrip:

Olson, Burnham & Kibler - 50\'s Gas Station reenactment - 1973.jpg
    This staged '50s Filling Station photo was taken in 1973 ... at a gas station on Main St. in Pleasanton,
    California (it still exists today). That's the our 331ci Chrysler HEMI-powered Deuce 5wd on the
    left, Bill Burnham's butterscotch yellow '29 Hiboy in the center, and Clark Kibler's silver '29 Hiboy
    on the right. ... The "hoodlums" are Kibler (left), Gary Meadors (center), and Billy B (right).​

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

We had Drag Cars at the Gas Station I worked at, a '55 Chevy and a Plymouth Road Runner ... wish I had pictures.

21. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I always though Billy B's roadster was baby blue?

22. Billy's 321ci Pontiac-powered butterscotch roadster was the predecessor to his FE-powered Ol' Blue roadster.

PS: Rather than hijack this thread any further ... for more info & pics of Billy B's cars, checkout my Billy B Ramblings thread in the HAMB Old Farts' Club social forum.

23. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

wow !!! this is soooooooo cool, I want to see more!!!!!!

24. Note that so many of the cars had "car in tow" shoe polished, on the back window. In the late 80's, I used toflat tow my '69 Nova SS to Thompson and Dragway 42, with my little 2.8l v-6 4 speed x cab s-10 pick up.
    Also...On my way to St. Christines grade school, in Euclid Ohio, there was an old Standard Oil gas station corner of E 222nd and Ivan. The kind with an additional garage off to the side, for more service work. These guys ran a '68? Big Block Camaro. Can still remember drooling over it, after school. It was meduim blue. Circa 1975?? There were stations like this ALL OVER town. Sorry cannot download pictures from my head to my computer.
    JT

loudbang likes this.
  25. Fedman

Fedman

Grant (pictured) and brother Murray Iseli, the guys that got me into Drag Racing, sadly Grant passed away in 1986, but Murray and I still remain close friends and were racing partners until I retired from racing at the end of 2008
    RIP Grant.......

loudbang and HEMI32 like this.
  26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some things never change. Corvette and 55 Chevy 4 2 15 sepia.jpg

27. awesome post, keep the pics coming

Stogy likes this.