Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 chevy 2 door transmission crossmember

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser_Dave, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

Did a search, and not much luck. Just looking to see what you can use for a transmission crossmember. Dropping a 283 with a TH350 in my 2 door coupe. I know that to get the V8 in there that the verticle pieces of steel on the firwall have to be cut out, and maybe the trans tunnel, but I cannot find what to use for the transmission. Thanks!

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just modify the original crossmember.. with a T350 the trans mount ends up just about where the crossmember is. it needs to be lower in the center. I like the idea of a bolt in center in case you ever want to remove the trans

as for the firewall, get a spot weld drill bit and drill out the spotwelds to remove those pieces.

3. aaggie

aaggie

I have seen a fair number of the '49-'54 Chevys and just about any GM trans will clear the floor tunnel. The stock cross member will clear with a minor trim. Use side engine mounts.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All GM automatics fit under the floor, except the 4L80E, and 6L80E.

5. I used side mounts and set the trans mount on the 54 crossmember and bolted it down. Usin a mild 350/350 turbo. Not a problem. It was a short tail shaft 350.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Most guys just cut out the center, then weld up a removable middle section. We took a MOPAR/Dart cross member and modified it by removing the outer ends (outer bolt hole), welded on a flat plate for a trans mount mounting, drilled two hole through the stock cross member, and bolted it in. Used Chassis Engineering side mount kit and welded them in right where the instructions said to. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

I used a Chassis Eng weld-in drop and bolt-in engine mounts. Unfortunately my TH350 is a long tailshaft so I had to build an extension for the mount. I will be modifying it shortly to make it a bit cleaner.
    This was in 1987 so memories are fuzzy

8. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to rethink my engine motor mount choice. I was going to use the kit that mounted to the 2 holes by the water pump on the front of the block. Maybe that is where I was getting the idea that it would be up to high to clear the tunnel?

If anyone has any pics of a modified cross member, I would love to see them!