Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '34 Ford Cabrio pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timwhit, Oct 11, 2014.

1. 100_0289.JPG 100_0221.JPG 100_0225.JPG 100_0228.JPG 100_0229.JPG 100_0230.JPG 184.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG 001.JPG Here's a few pics of the work on the frame for my cabrio. I should have started this thread a long time ago, but here it is. I can only load 15 at a time so I will add pics in subsequent post's. I'll not include a bunch of text but if you ask questions I will try to answer in a timely manor. Tim

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. 102_0590.JPG 102_0591.JPG 102_0592.JPG 102_0598.JPG 102_0602.JPG 102_0599.JPG 102_0642.JPG 102_0623.JPG 100_0706.JPG 100_0687.JPG Imported Photos 00045.JPG Here's a few pics of the body when I first got it home and started on the re-build. Some of these show the building of the windshield post's. The body is sectioned, shortened and the windshield frame was cut off. I've lengthened the doors back to stock length, added new door tops from SAR and off course stretched the body back out, patching the floor as I went. I'll post some pics of the doors next. BTW...thank ss34coupe for encouraging me to do this thread..thanks Steve.

3. brady1929

brady1929

looking forward to this. great hot rod project.

4. Imported Photos 00108.JPG Imported Photos 00117.JPG 100_0688.JPG 100_0694.JPG 100_0651.JPG On to the doors!!! There will be a couple of odd pics in this batch...having trouble finding them all. Some are in windows photo gallery which is not co-operating.

5. I'll try to find some pics of the body now. Plus having to re-size everything!!! I'll take some time tomorrow to upload more pics of the body while I was doing the body work etc. as well as some current pics. 259.JPG 260.JPG 261.JPG

6. Did you make this ?
    You'll have to do a tech on it please

[​IMG]

7. I wish!!!!! If I could do that I would be a rich man!
    h!!! Those came from SAR

8. So the body was diced up as some sort of special ? Cut out door tops and all.....interesting. Did you find it as just the body or was it on a later frame ? Story, or history known ? Great work getting it put back to what it is now. Always easier to cut it, then to attempt to uncut the cuts. I would have never guessed.

9. Campbell: I got only the body, minus the deck lid. My nephew in Florida bought the body off ebay. He was building a '34 roadster from pieces and thought he would cut this up for parts to finish his car. When He got it (shipped from San Diego to central Florida) it was to nice to cut up so he gave it to me.

10. I need a nephew like that :)
    All I get from my nephew is gimme gimme gimme

11. Wow man......cool nephew ! Sid Alphonse had a special with similar body on a severely sliced up 50 Ford frame, and drive train. MG top, and cycle fenders. Sounds horrid today, but looked damn fine in its day. Made a few "sports car" events, in the north east.....hill climbs....Poconos....etc. Rung a bell when I saw your picture. No telling where this old scrap comes from, huh ?

12. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

All I can think of is that Silk Purse out of a Sows Ear......thing

You got the SKILLS !!!!

I AM IMPRESSED !!!!!!!

13. Uptown83

Uptown83

Are you going to un-section the body?

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

nice cabrio...but show more pics of the pickemup! what headlights did you use on it? :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Uptown: I'm not going to un-do the section. Building the belt line molding back is way beyond me!. It was shortened a total of 14". I put 9" back in the doors then shortened the wheelbase 5". I built in a @5" chop when I made the ws post's. There"s 5" out of the quarters that I'm not #$%%^& with!!. Close as I can figure by measuring a friends 5 window body, it is sectioned @ 5". I mocked up a top on it once and it really made a huge difference. Hope to get one on it this winter.
    Larry, the headlights on the '32 were '35 pass/pickup. BTW...thanks for being payshunt.

3wLarry likes this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great save. Keep up the work, it's shaping up nicely. Love watching these "save a body" threads!

17. Uptown83

Uptown83

I just noticed the belt line was gone :(. I do agree it would be challenging to un section it's but doable!

You could always get with Don Smart to get the patches you need to fix the car. He is slow moving but is defiantly a very knowledgable guy that could make the panels you need to fix the car correctly. Just throwing it out there. Plus it would increase the value of you car huge if you could make it correct. Also need to add back the 3rd door hinge. Im just telling you what I would probably do.. I am admiring that cabriolet body though :)

Anyways thanks for posting your build looking forward to more!

18. Nice work! I love model 40's of any flava'!

19. 144.JPG As promised here are a few more pics. I'm going to include some pics of my nephew's '34 roadster, the car He was building when He bought the cabrio body. 001.JPG 004.JPG 246.JPG 264.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 019.JPG 001.JPG 001.JPG 113.JPG 114.JPG 117.JPG

20. 102_0647.JPG Here's one I missed that shows the gap between back edge of door skin and hinge jamb on quarter...@9".

21. The little guy with the bent spoke wheels is my grandson. We picked those up at the hot rod reunion in Bowling Green back in June.

22. Larry: Here are a few pics of the pikup

Attached Files:

3wLarry likes this.
  23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Tim - you have done an amazing job on the rebuild of your cabriolet! It is really encouraging to see another guy out there that is willing to put a body together again closer to like it was when Henry Ford first built it - too many got cut up in ways that don't work, but you pulled this one out of the hat! Good job on the chassis as well, you have put together the right parts to get a stance and look that is just right! Those full image pics work really well, and is one of the best features of this new version of the Hamb, IMO. Nice truck as well, you are a lucky guy to have these nice rides! Hey, that roadster is too cool, and one of my dream cars. Some day maybe....

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tim...The proportions of your Cab are way better for a fenderless '33-4 roadster than the stock dimensions.
    Every defendered stock body I've ever seen appears 'massive'...

Very nice construction, engine mounts very neatly executed. (some guys will argue that these frontal mounts should only be used with the GM side mounts at bellhousing, especially with aluminum automatic tranny case...)

First '32 Highboy I saw with a SBC was an older friend of mine, Al Marceline, in late '55. This was in Santa Clara, CA. His highboy was pictured in Andy Southard's books...(orange then)
    The flathead came out, Chevy went in with an old Wilcap adaptor/Chev stick flywheel, and '50 Merc clutch/pressure plate. The front '55 Chevy mounts sat right on the original 21 stud flathead crossmember...GM knew where these engines would end up!

25. Steve & Mike: I simply went about the build in a way that worked for my ideas, limited tools and talent. The result is what you see. I could point out things I don't like about it but come spring they will have been done over. Its a lot of fun to cruise in. Tim

26. Recently bought fenders and running boards. They will be a challenge in a couple of places. The grill has been lowered and the gas tank cover will have to be sectioned as well. It can't be to hard?

27. demmals7ytriht

demmals7ytriht
    from Speer lane

Looking good Tim!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Billy: I love the colorized version of your truck!!!

29. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Awesome Job Tim! Cabrios are my favorite..Looks great with the beltline removed.. something I would have never thought of doing to one of Henrys finest bodys.. Keep up the great work!.

30. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman