Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rear end swap for 49 Plymouth 305 or 350 motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moe00, Oct 1, 2014.

1. moe00

moe00

Hi guys I've been searching for some time now, I'm putting a 305 or 350 chevy in my 49 Plymouth 2dr and I'm trying to figure out what rear ends will fit and good for the new motor.

Thanks!

2. jeep cherokee. cut off the pads install new pads done and done.

3. George

George

65-67 (or so) C body mopar should be a direct bolt it. There's a bunch of Big 3 axles that will fit with a spring perch relocation. 71-3 Mustang/Cougar, Duster, ect.

4. moe00

moe00

ok thanks for the tips. I'm removing the frame this weekend to get started!

5. HammerDown

HammerDown

Explorer 8.8 - The right width, strong, available in drum or disc, good gear ratios, usually limited slip, cheap & easy to find. Need any more reasons?

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. moe00

moe00

HammerDown what year range? I was doing a search on the others and I agree the explorer or jerk cherokee will be a bit easy.

Found it

explorer differential 1990-1995has drums , 1995 to 2001 has disk

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. Certainly from the standpoint of cheap and available, either the Exploder or the Jeep are going to be easiest to find, either one there are plenty in the you-pick yard right now.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ (Not Grand).

1990-1995 Ford Explorer.

There are more ratio choices with the Explorer, and the 8.8 is stronger than the Dana 35C or Chrysler 8.25 found in the Cherokee (unless you find a VERY rare one with the Up Country package, and a Dana 44).

9. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

If you hit up the salvage/ u pull yards looking for a explorer rear, quick way to check if it has a factory limited slip/trac loc in it, is open the left drivers door and look at the vin sticker on the edge of the door, at the bottom right of the sticker there will be a box that says ax above the box, in that box is the axle code, if the code starts with a Letter followed by a Number it has a limited slip/trac loc in it. Example D4 means trac loc with 3:73 ratio, which quite a few explorer rears you find with limited slip/trac loc's have 3:73's. You can find the axle codes online and print out copy to carry with you. Saves you from having to crawl under the back of the explorer and looking at the steel rearend id tag on one of the rearend covers bolts, can be a pain in the ass if explorer is sitting on the ground in the yard, if the rearend is already out just look at the tag on the cover, it will be on the bottom corner of the tag nearest the bolt holding it. If it has a L in the gear ratio on the tag, example 3L73 it is a trac loc 3:73 ratio. They are strong rearends and 31spline axles to boot, plus disc brakes on 95 to 2001's like previously said..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. moe00

moe00

Ok, thanks for all the tips

11. I see all the answers of what fits the '49 Plymouth, but what is the width of the '49 Plymouth rear? I don't see any mention of the width, either by the OP or the replies. Just wondering here.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Bob,

The original Plymouth rear end is right at 60", outside to outside. The Cherokee and Explorer axles are 60" and 59.75", respectively.

Ray

13. all good choices and stay away from the dana 35, except for brake setup (fits dana 44, ford 8.8) its total shit!

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

31259140.jpg

15. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

I'll put a 8 3/4 Mopar in. C bodies rear ends are good for fat fenders earlier Mopars, but 49 and up are narrower. 60's B bodies fit good and got the correct early look. Yeah kill a Roadrunner lol

16. Thanks Ray!

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, it isn't. I have 4x4 guys running them with 160:1 crawl ratios, which is a multiplied 44,000-lb.ft. peak torque. They work exceptionally well, after you weld the tubes to the pumpkin.

Hnstray likes this.