Register now to get rid of these ads!

San Diego rodders, ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Oct 12, 2014.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

Do you Remember this a roadster. It was a yellow 28-9 ford with a blown hemi I think. It said vortex on the side and was the baddest car around when I was younger. I would really like a pic of it if anyone remembers the car. Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I have lived here all my 51 years. Doesn't ring a bell. What part of town? I can ask around.

3. @JimSibley -

Was it Don Kleine's '31 Roadster with a blown ’56 354ci Chrysler Hemi?

vortex-hemi-roadster.jpg
    image by Bill Dutting

NOTE: From April 1976 through January 2002, Donald Kleine was the CEO/Owner of VORTEX ENGINEERING headquartered in Santee, California (in eastern San Diego county) ... In January 2002, Don started VORTEX RECYCLING in New Castle, Pennslyvania.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Rattle Trap likes this.
  4. Don's roadster appeared on the cover of the December 1984 issue of HOT ROD Magazine:

hrdp-1984-december-cover.jpg
    1931-ford-model-a.jpg

5. Don's roadster was part of the "HOT ROD Magazine Homecoming 65th Anniversary Show" held at the Pomona Fairplex on March 23-24, 2013:

VORTEX Roadster @ HRM 65th Anniversary Show.jpg

6. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Wow! I deal with Vortex from time to time. Never knew the owner was a Rodder.

7. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

I think the car is in east county San Diego, El Cajon. I bought another car of the guy and looked at the Hemi. Nice guy.

Rattle Trap likes this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I remember Don and his 31 well. He drove/raced the car everywhere including to work daily.
    I don't have the copy handy, but when Don bought the car, it was discovered the Roadster had been on a magazine cover. Believe it was Popular Hotrodding around 1971. IIRC, it was maroon in color.
    The car got a ton of ink including a poster of his car being pulled over by a Lambo CHP car.

9. JimSibley

JimSibley

That's it. Always remembered it as a 29, I was wrong.

HEMI32 likes this.
  10. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Got to be Don's 31 roadster, he is also affectionately known as "quicksand" with that daily driver he was sometimes "in over his head" :)

Here's a poor photo of the a fore mentioned poster hanging in our hall way

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App![/QUOTE]
    IMG_1569.JPG

11. I "Believe" Don's retired now. He's definitely back in San Diego and still has the roadster. I see him at the weekly El Cajon car cruise regularly. I'll try to snap a pic of the car next time I see it (cruise season ends on Oct. 31st, hope I see him before then). He's a really nice guy, when I started.bringing my T out, he came up an introduced himself, said if I ever needed any blown early Hemi help to give him a call.

HEMI32 likes this.
  12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

He drives by my house all the time. I can hear him coming from pretty far off.

HEMI32 likes this.
  13. pitman

pitman

Warning...or a ticket? Nothing like a CHP fashion show! :)

14. View attachment 2737175 [/QUOTE]
    Ummmm.......Bob, check the reflection in the bottom of the poster, I "think" the headless horseman is hanging out in your hall! ;)

15. Here's a better copy of the poster:

Poster.jpg

16. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

My dads buddy owned that Lamborghini, it was all just stick on stuff, I believe, with the light bar just sitting on top.

17. JimSibley

JimSibley

That car is just plain fast. I had a 66 mustang with a roller 5.0 in it and a 3 speed when I was 22 yrs young. The roadster pulled up to me at a stop light. We agreed to run just to see how hard he would
    Kill
    Me. That thing launched so hard I felt like I was going backwards. Funniest race I ever lost.

Rattle Trap likes this.
  18. I didn't realize you were from around here, Jim. I have one of those stories too, but from Texas. I agreed to a race with a pretty, heavy local hitter in a T Bucket. Knew I was out classed, but did it anyway. Missed 2nd gear because I was too mesmerized by his front tire hanging right out side my window! I still don't know how he got that thing to hook up, but he did. Only thing I ever got out of him was he was launching in 2nd gear (it was a 3 spd. manual car). Anyway, back to Ron's car.....

Attached Files:

19. ucfmcdonald

ucfmcdonald

I bought another car of the guy and looked at the Hemi. [​IMG]