Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***Fall is in the air: October 2014 Banger Meet***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jiminy, Oct 3, 2014.

1. I'm currently using a drive shaft that was cut with a standard endmill till the coupling could be slid on then the coupling was heli arced to the shaft.

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I used their disk. The splined hub is lengthened about 1.5". With out this special center hub you can't use anything else.

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  3. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Finished my 97 manifold, nickel plated it, took it for a spin seems to run fine with this set up.
    Air cleaner is just touching the bonnet (hood for some) I will have to come up with an alternative.
    Brendan

Attached Files:

4. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Also just bought one of these 4000 RPM tachometers for AUS $85, seems like a good deal.
    if you search "Tachometer 85mm (4000RPM) SUPPLY WORD-WIDE, FREE POSTAGE FOR AUSTRALIA" on evilbay australia you should see it.
    Brendan

Attached Files:

• $_57.jpg
      $_57.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Brendan, the 97 manifold looks good.

6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thank you. I love going to Bert's. They have always been fantastic to deal with. I am going to have them rebuild the engine for my coupe when I get the $ saved.

That's what I figured. With the popularity of Model A's these days I am surprised someone else doesn't make a disk for this application. Might be easier to build a different bell housing than make clutch disks, but both are beyond my skill level.

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Look into the kit that uses the AA bellhousing. The AA bell is shorter and I think it used a standard clutch disk.

8. 10,000 miles!!!
    Some of us joke about just having a motor last 6 miles.......

Does anyone have Eubanks Alum rods?
    Just curious about them, looking at a set, not sure about them.

John

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

post #52 :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I never seen any post on here with them.
    But I do know a guy found me on the banger meet to make him some flanges for his Iron Duke so there are some guys snooping around

WACCUSTOMS.COM
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3wLarry likes this.
  11. No, but I have a set of REM rods for an A engine same blank as B. I ran them but when I broke my second crank I put them on the shelf, they have a new set of 4" pistons on them with rings. Actually I didn't break the crank just cracked it. Thats when we finished the stroker so I didn't think the rods would clear.

12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I knew the AA bell housing was shorter. I had several stock bellhousings so I have already committed to the stock bell housing as I have already shortened my TT. I just need the drive shaft cut down and get the clutch set up. Hope to have a productive winter and have this on the road in the spring and have all summer to work out bugs. Planning on blowing it all apart next winter for paint upholstry and top. Hopefully by then I will have the funds to have a motor built too.

13. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Larry have read a bit about them on the Elusive 224 Mercruiser Banger thread
    while they would be welcome this is more pre war IMO

14. Hey fellas, would really like to use an early-mid '32 Model B starter cable on my hopped up A...was curious if the B starter switch can be adapted to an A starter or if I need to be looking for a B starter (if the B starter is a bolt-on to the A flywheel housing).

All help is greatly appreciated!

15. ebtm3

ebtm3

Gary. .

Gary-
    Switches and starters are interchangeable. If you want to install a ''modern'' starter solenoid, you would have to tap the large copper stud (visible when either switch is removed) 5/16 for a --preferable copper--
    stud to accept a cable.

B starters have a little more oomph, due to different field coils.

Herb

16. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

I have a vintage Mallory Dual Point Distributor, that will be installed on a Model B Engine with a Riley Two-Port Head. What "Size" Springs would be recommended to get the Advance Curve right for this head. I think the CR is 6.5 or 7:1. I do not have a Distributor Tester to check the curve. I also live at 5,000 feet above sea level.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob

17. Yeah! I had a set of REM Aluminum rods in one of my earlier race engines. When I broke a crank I tore the engine down. I found the block cracked around the water jacket and the aluminum rods stretched beyond my use; so I sold the whole thing to an LSR guy who didn't give a shit.

18. Jeg's and Summit sell a timing kit for Mallory distributors. Included in the kit is a chart to assist in the selection of springs. Bubba's Hot Rod Shop will do whatever you want with the distributor.

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Well this website dropped my request for email updates again!!

HONESTLY I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY GIVE YOU THIS OPTION ONLY TO PROVIDE SOMEONE WITH ONLY ONE HALF THE THREADS!!

Come-on Ryan you can, (and have done better in the past) do better than this! I really enjoy reading what my friends write here. Between dropping me and trying to read half-tones with failing eyesight it's not easy.

AND WHERE DID THE PREWAR RACING CAR THREAD GO TO???????

20. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I have a flathead powered dragster from my misspent youth of the '60s that has saftey hubs with ring welded on hub another ring bolted through backing plate mount. Also lapping Ford hub to axle was secret fix for broken axles and sheared keys in the '50s.

21. out plowing

out plowing

Will a 46 ford truck top load transmission mate up to a Banger flywheel housing and be useable? found one for sale for $25 locally

22. When you say truck do you mean a pick up truck or larger vehicle ? The 46 3 speed pickup trans would probably fit with an adapter but it is usually set up for open driveline.

23. out plowing

out plowing

So it sounds like more work then its worth.

24. out plowing

out plowing

Does anybody remember a post about A. Chevrolet drawing for a cam and crank for the model A?

25. RussTee

RussTee

Who is using A modern HiTorque starter and how do they go on higher compression motors I will have to go threw my original and the cost will be about the same as buying the modern HiTorque why stick with the old if the new is better?

26. just checking in.....putting a battery in my A has been on my list....

27. A little progress on my pickup and still looking for a high compression head to compliment the intake.

[​IMG]

ROCKER77 likes this.
  28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Rusty,
    Pop is using one on the Ruterford headed engine in his truck. works very well. I thought about putting one on mine, but it looks to modern for my taste.

29. Hey! whoever starts the November thread: come back to this thread and give us the address, so that old dumb asses like me don't have to wander around half the month looking for the conversation!

Thanks,

JK