Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A drive train

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustedcutlery, Oct 11, 2014.

1. I got a '29 two door sedan that I'm going to build this winter, and am trying to decide what I'm going to do for a drive train.

For now I'm going to keep the factory 4 banger until I finish the car. Eventually I will either build the original flathead, do a flathead v8, or something else thats oddball. I'm not looking for a 900hp bigblock, just something with a little more pep and looks. Not going the typical sbc route here, it has its place, just not for me in this case.

For a trans what's popular? Th350 & th400? Rock crusher?

Same question for rear end. I love the looks of the original rear axles, but can they be built to survive some power and a heavy foot? Iv got a 31spline 8.8 i should do something with, but again, it seams a 8.8 or a 9 is what I usually see under hotrods.

Here is what I'm working with.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413084793.651030.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413084828.806154.jpg

So if you've got a opinion or some constructive criticism, let's hear it.

Rusted.

2. 55willys

55willys

If you want to go the AV8 route get Vern Tardels book on the subject. With a car like that I would drive it first and think about what you do and don't like about the car. My thought would be to use a Flat 8, 39 trans and a V8 rear with a shortened torque tube. Hydraulic brakes would be high on the list. What kind of hot rod do you like? Is this the car to build it out of? Jim Ford

3. Doesn't look like a 29 to me. But besides that......things like money, or what you may have already laying around / have access to / can help make the decision. I found that an 8.8 axle out of an explorer is the perfect width for a model a. 4.25" backspaced wheels fit perfectly. Although, it's not the best looking axle.

4. That's a '31, based on the one piece splash aprons. You left a pretty much open ended question. What are your plans for it? local cruising or long distance driving road trips? how often do you drive it? what HP levels would make you happy? do you want it to handle? all of these questions and more dictate where you should start...

5. Sorry for leaving it kind of open ended. I bought the car over a rear ago and forgot what year it is. I got the year confused with my grandpa's. I'm new to the whole model a deal.

Anyways, I want it to handle and stop, I don't plan on auto crossing it or anything, but I'd like to drive it a distance without rattling me and it apart. I have yet to drive the car yet but can't wait to.

I like spirited driving, but don't have a set hp. Maybe like a 250-300 hp flat 8? I would assume it doesn't take much to move these cars on account of the weight, or lack there of. Juice brakes are going to be very high on my list. I will most likely convert it to 12v

I do not have much for parts yet besides a couple buckets of small parts that came with the car, and 2 21 stud flat 8's. I know of a few A's I could get parts from if needed.

I plan on removing the fenders, maybe take the hood off too, slightly taller and wider wheel and tires, a wire wheel of some sort. I'd like to put sound deadening wherever I can put it, small simple leather buckets in the front.

What can the v8 rear end handle?

I'm sorry if this is kind of all over the place.

6. Let me offer a suggestion,read every thread you can find concerning Model A builds. HRP

7. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

This is great advice, along with the Tardel book.
    I'm new to this also and like you, have a '31 Sedan that will be built into an AV8.

8. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

hard to get 300hp out of a flathead, unless you have deep pockets.

9. Realistically, what is a flat 8 capable of before it gets to the point where you should maybe look into other options?

10. Here is the look I'm going for

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413171543.585001.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413171906.163629.jpg

I know, I know, gas monkey. But I love the way that car turned out.

11. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

realistically about 130hp-150hp. I've heard of 200hp but that takes a lot of go fast goodies, engine work and maybe a supercharger.

12. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

I agree with HRP. Use the search feature and read through some build threads.

13. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Keep it safe and dry while you educate yourself. Do some reaserch and plan your attack.. a stock 8ba will move that Sedan very nicely. Again like said earlier get the Vern Tardel Book and read it. Everything you need to know about how to assemble an AV8 with genuine Ford parts.

14. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

A nice flattie can make as much horsepower as you want, so long as you can afford to build it....

Attached Files:

15. Wouldn't take much to get the car like the "Gas Monkey" car. You already own a lot of the items that car has on it. That car has the stock 40hp model a engine, which is a little anemic for today's traffic, but there are guys drivin them around, some are even dailies!. Both of those cars have '35 16" wire wheels, your car already has them on the rear. Juice brakes are a good choice. As said before a good start to inform yourself would be the Tardel book and multiple build threads here on the HAMB.

16. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

17. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a great start. I have a 30 sedan, mild chop, rebuilt 8ba flathead, 39 trans, 40 rear. Plenty of fun.

[​IMG]