Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I the only one that don't like the new format ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by langy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. One thing that would be great -
    If you are on the "watched threads" page it only shows you those that are "unread" unless you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and hit the "show all" button.

If you are on the "new posts" page it only shows you those that haven't been looked at yet unless to hit the "recent posts" button at the very top of the page.

It would be better if the navigation buttons were more consistent and in the same location. And the top of the page would be much better . It kinda sucks to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to that button and trying to remember where they are on each page or what page you are on. It's a lot of scrolling.

2. I think it was me you even posted it to a few weeks ago. I love the feature, its just in a less convenient location now. When Im done reading a page, Im at the bottom of the page. To have to go to the top to navigate is the same as when you go to a website you have to back out of pages to get to a menu. Sure, its only an extra click or two, but .............

3. Ha! :confused: That was you, wasn't it? Not trying to flog a dead horse here, but I don't think the threads over here get read as much as over on the main boards. :rolleyes:

4. saltracer

saltracer

Don't have anything positive to add. Pretty much hate the new format.

wbrw32 likes this.
  5. socalclassics

socalclassics

Ît

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You might want to find another forum then man... Sorry.

7. Clik

Clik

I didn't like it at first either but I'm getting used to it and it is improved. It's just the "traditional" in us that resists change. Old is in our blood.

8. If the Hamb sucks so much why do these guys that hate the new format stay and keep complaining? HRP

lothiandon1940 and gwhite like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Complaining about change is traditional.

10. The new format hasn't slowed me down a whole lot, but I sit in front of a computer all day and I'm reasonably tech savvy. One of my club members says it's like someone switched toolboxes on us... all the tools are still there, but they're in different drawers.

Personally, I think it feels like we went from a comfortable and easy to drive mid-50s sedan to a sport tuner hot hatch. Lots of pros and cons, and maybe some new creature comforts and such, but it just seems like more high tech and more bells and whistles than we are used to (or want).

It has pretty much killed the Social Groups. Most of the guys in my club have migrated over to Facebook (which I can't stand) but they say it's easier to use and to upload photos from their phones. It's actually causing some in-fighting in the club since some of us have always considered the HAMB as our official online meeting place and some of the boys just won't come here anymore.

I do know that a lot of old names have opted out. I occasionally click on a user name to see when they last logged in and I see early May a lot.

It also bugs me that I can click on a user profile and see their conversations with other people. I wanted to contact someone about a part in the classifieds and I could see their price negotiations and contact info for other buyers. In this day and age that just ain't cool.

I liked the friend listings. I could tell a lot about someone by seeing who they were friends with. I don't care who someone "follows", I did like seeing who had mutual friends especially if I was buying or selling parts.

I'm a long term HAMB addict, and I'll never say a bad word about Ryan or what he's created here. I have a lot of close personal friends that I only met because of this place, but the new format is less-than-perfect in my opinion.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  11. Muttley

Muttley

I'd still like to know why so many people find the new format hard to grasp, other than the actual look of the place it's pretty much the same as it ever was.

12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Why? Because it is what people do on social media. Some people complain. Some kiss ass. It is the same on whatever forum you visit.

13. The not logged in since May thing seems to be a glitch I have seen lots of guys whose profiles say they haven't logged in since May and I know they have been on since then.

Conversations cannot be seen by anyone other than those that are a part of them. They work pretty much exactly like they did before other than the fact you can invite more than one person to a conversation and you can upload pictures. What you are seeing are people who are posting on other peoples profile page has nothing to do with the conversation feature. They just don't know or refuse to learn the difference.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We've created dissent amongst a group of gentlemen that call themselves the Sock Fuckers? Holy jesus, that's when you know you've really messed up!

Seriously though dude... You know those are just profile posts, right? You can still send a private message (now called a convo). Details here.

As for hating on the new H.A.M.B.... I think people forget that the H.A.M.B. is not really a social service of sorts. Meaning, I don't do this thing to make as many people happy as I possibly can in hopes of driving traffic and increasing ad revenue. In fact, sometimes I feel like the loads of traffic we get distracts the real reason this place is here - focused content... More specifically, traditional hot rods and customs.

I'm actually really damned happy with the new place even though I realize lots of people are not. The new vibe has really inspired me to get out and feature new cars (something I've done a lot more of as of late) and restrict the focus around here even tighter than it was before. The HAMB is starting to feel underground again... and I love, love, love that.

That being said, I'm behind on my production schedule for sure. Life got in the way this summer and I had to tend to other things that are far more important than the HAMB. Family.

You might notice some subtle changes that have been user requested popping up here and there over the next week. Even that has been fun for me.

I guess the point of all of this is that I'm selfish. I love where I'm going right now and have no plans to change direction despite what seems to be a whole lot of folks that don't. It's a personal thing for me. It always kind of has been.

15. silent rick

silent rick

at least there isn't a hunnert fucking new guys welcoming each other just to build their posts count.

that's it, maybe the new format has made everybody anti-social.

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  16. Not sure this thread still serves much of a purpose, if it ever did.

On a happier note, you all should be seeing some subtle changes (user location below their avatar and some font enhancments) that were suggested to the bossman. We really do appreciate helpful suggestions and constructive criticism; rants and whining, not so much.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

These are still a work in progress... In fact, I'm doing it now... By Monday we should have some pretty nice changes done. By the end of the next week, we will have a BIG search addition if I'm lucky.

Oh and Gary, I reopened it. I like it in that it keeps all this in one place.

18. Your patience is commendable!

Looking forward to the big search addition!

19. I don't care what you do to this place. I'll still show up. The content rules now. Non of that neo street rod in traditional clothing stuff that started popping up for awhile.

While my attitude is build whatever pleases you. My interest borders on militant towards 100 percent period builds.

I can look at that shit to my little devish hearts content now.

I like that.

But I'm nuts.

Sounds like I'm in the right place, no?

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not only are your in the right place, it is your place.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  21. F&J

F&J

Thank goodness for the new feature that shows where the person is from, UNDER the avatar. I know I must have a browser problem because when I mouse over an avatar since the upgrade, all I get is a blank white avatar ...... like mine :)

(Why I care where a members location is:.... some questions on a typical hamb tech post are better answered if everyone knows where and what the posters climate is)

22. In that case, where's the fridge? I need a sammich.

In all seriousness, I 'm just tired of seeing all these complaints about a website that still host the best hot rod content out there.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Please somebody fix the "no price" situation with the classifieds on the app..i've hardly got any hair left..

24. The HAMB is no longer supported on the app. You'll have to use your device's browser for full functionality.

25. Not that this is a problem, but I will call it to your attention. First only on On my I-phone and since the latest little tweaks - the posters name that appears in the top center screen of the post is missing the top 1/3 of the letters.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good one. I'll get that fixed.

27. 2X... HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. saltracer

saltracer

Ok, I want to apologize. Ryan and others have spent a great deal of time and effort to make the current changes. That said, the old format served me personally better. As for "You might want to find another forum" you are probably right. I kinda like the Ford Barn (another of your forums). Again, I'm sorry about my harsh statements.