Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what I found: American Austin! Bantam??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34highboy, Oct 11, 2014.

1. 34highboy

34highboy
    from phoenix az

I just brought this 1933 American Austin roadster home. The family had it since the 1950s. I had two truck loads of spare parts for it.

Attached Files:

2. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Just left a show a couple of hours ago that had a rodded one of those done fenderless. I had no idea what it was but it looked really good. Wish I had taken a photo now.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - congrats - look good with a blown Hemi

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. millersgarage

millersgarage

Too cute. Nice to see what one actually looks like not done as a drag car.

5. LOVE those Austin Bantams!!!! That one is a beauty!! A friend in Michigan restores those. He had 5 of them in a two-car garage the last time I saw him. He was rebuilding an engine for one on the kitchen table!

38nailhead likes this.
  6. 34highboy

34highboy
    from phoenix az

This car came with a couple of extra motors. I asked my son to help me lift the first complete one. We just laughed cause it didn't weigh anything! I think an SBC head weighs more then the whole motor.

7. verde742

verde742

tell us a story,, how did you locate it,,
    how were you able to get it... I love a good story...

turboroadster likes this.
  8. I'm jealous!!

9. 34highboy

34highboy
    from phoenix az

The owner gave me some original pictures of when it came into the family and the original registrations from 1953. it also still has the original 1933 Ill. license plate. Its been in AZ since the early sixties. I found it on craigslist and was about 20 minutes from my house. Super nice family I got it from.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Those are such cool cars.
    What are you going to do with it all ?

Glenn

11. Pretty darned cool! I don't remember ever seeing one of these in it's original state.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Lucky find. If it was me, I'd leave it pretty much stock, but pep up the engine or drop in something a little more modern so you can keep up with today's traffic. Have fun, Gary

13. 34highboy

34highboy
    from phoenix az

Here's a couple morepictures.

Attached Files:

14. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

15. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Nice buy! I'm glad to see someone picked this car up. What are your plans for it?

16. [​IMG]

When I was a kid a lady in town had one of these just off main street..my dad use to say that car was cute as a bug in a rug...never made since until today! :) HRP

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like it has 1949 Chevrolet tail lights mounted sideways.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I had a frame and rear axle for one of those back in the early 1980's, it was used as a home built trailer. Sold it to an Austin restorer, we took the rear wheels of it and the thing fit in the trunk of his full size Oldsmobile. Can I be the first to say it should get whatever it needs to be roadworthy and enjoyed as is, the world doesn't need another with a HEMI. Bob

studebakerjoe likes this.
  19. 34highboy

34highboy
    from phoenix az

I was wondering what the tail lights were from? I have the original tail light (which is only a single unit) and will put it back at some point. I think I'd just like to get it running again. The body is in remarkable shape for the age of the car. Being stored indoors for most of its life saved it. It came with 5 motors so i think I could get it going if I can find gaskets. Its sooo funny to see how small everything is for the drive train. They were very simple cars. I'm over 6' tall with old bad knees so I can barely fit in it. I don't even know if I'll be able to use the brakes and clutch!! Oh if I were 20 again!

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There is an Austin bantam club that is very active online and off. Do not Hot Rod that car. There are enough basket cases around for that.

hugh m, Dean Lowe and Limey Kid like this.
  21. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

22. 296ardun

296ardun

It would be great restored...looks like all the important stuff is there, great score!

Dean Lowe likes this.
  23. 34highboy

34highboy
    from phoenix az

Here is a little old history on the car. I told the seller I'd give him back the family photos but I did scan them in. Interesting reading.

Attached Files:

wingnutz likes this.
  24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I guess the only thing I don't like about the Hamb is the younger mentality that thinks you have to cut up and hot rod every damn thing that's old and moves...some things that are found are priceless in their originality and should be preserved...this is one of those.

25. zzford likes this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Larry, those works on a bronze plaque would sell well. Bob

27. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Thanks Larry. I have a stock Austin roadster and they are worth lots more stock than butchered. There are plenty of fiberglass bodies out there. The stock Austin frame is wimpy and cant support a v8.

rg171352 and 3wLarry like this.
  28. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

I like this a lot Larry:

29. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Larry, do you have any photos of your Austin?

30. 34highboy

34highboy
    from phoenix az

I've been into cars all my life and can appreciate all types of cars and the work that goes into them. From hot rods to low riders, the effort and persistence to build one blows most people away. I've been into about anything with a motor all my life. I've owned most 32 ford body styles a Willys coupe, anglia, all hot rodded, and restored muscle cars. The older I get I seem to appreciate originality more than modification. I'm finishing up a 1960 Jeep FC 150 and hope to have it in the Goodguys show in Scottsdale in a few weeks. Its odd and rare and makes people smile. I think it will be the same with this car, so as long as its in my possession I will take care to keep original.