Register now to get rid of these ads!

1923 graham pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by austinhunt, Dec 9, 2011.

1. noboD

noboD

AACA museum just had a '24 GB flatbed on Ebay, not sure if it sold.

2. austinhunt

austinhunt

Man, that isn't much money for a museum piece. Makes me feel better about cutting mine up!

3. Squablow

Squablow

I'm not a fan of flatbeds on hotrods, to me, it looks cheap, like someone couldn't find or afford a real box so they just stuck a flat board floor on the back. And you clearly have the skills to whip up a factory looking box.

I also really like the tall roof on this one and think it'd be a shame to cut. The cab height is kind-of what gives this particular truck it's personality. But it's yours to do what you want with, and what you've got so far all looks really good to me.

4. fairlaneranch

fairlaneranch

Man! Im watchin this one, Great work!!!!!
    <mytubeelement data="{&quot;bundle&quot;:{&quot;label_delimitor&quot;:&quot;:&quot;,&quot;percentage&quot;:&quot;%&quot;,&quot;smart_buffer&quot;:&quot;Smart Buffer&quot;,&quot;start_playing_when_buffered&quot;:&quot;Start playing when buffered&quot;,&quot;sound&quot;:&quot;Sound&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification&quot;:&quot;Desktop Notification&quot;,&quot;continuation_on_next_line&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;loop&quot;:&quot;Loop&quot;,&quot;only_notify&quot;:&quot;Only Notify&quot;,&quot;estimated_time&quot;:&quot;Estimated Time&quot;,&quot;global_preferences&quot;:&quot;Global Preferences&quot;,&quot;no_notification_supported_on_your_browser&quot;:&quot;No notification style supported on your browser version&quot;,&quot;video_buffered&quot;:&quot;Video Buffered&quot;,&quot;buffered&quot;:&quot;Buffered&quot;,&quot;hyphen&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;buffered_message&quot;:&quot;The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.&quot;,&quot;not_supported&quot;:&quot;Not Supported&quot;,&quot;on&quot;:&quot;On&quot;,&quot;off&quot;:&quot;Off&quot;,&quot;click_to_enable_for_this_site&quot;:&quot;Click to enable for this site&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification_denied&quot;:&quot;You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site&quot;,&quot;notification_status_delimitor&quot;:&quot;;&quot;,&quot;error&quot;:&quot;Error&quot;,&quot;adblock_interferance_message&quot;:&quot;Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.&quot;,&quot;calculating&quot;:&quot;Calculating&quot;,&quot;waiting&quot;:&quot;Waiting&quot;,&quot;will_start_buffering_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start buffering when initialized&quot;,&quot;will_start_playing_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start playing when initialized&quot;,&quot;completed&quot;:&quot;Completed&quot;,&quot;buffering_stalled&quot;:&quot;Buffering is stalled. Will stop.&quot;,&quot;stopped&quot;:&quot;Stopped&quot;,&quot;hr&quot;:&quot;Hr&quot;,&quot;min&quot;:&quot;Min&quot;,&quot;sec&quot;:&quot;Sec&quot;,&quot;any_moment&quot;:&quot;Any Moment&quot;,&quot;popup_donate_to&quot;:&quot;Donate to&quot;,&quot;extension_id&quot;:null},&quot;prefs&quot;:{&quot;desktopNotification&quot;:true,&quot;soundNotification&quot;:true,&quot;logLevel&quot;:0,&quot;enable&quot;:true,&quot;loop&quot;:true,&quot;hidePopup&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:true,&quot;autoBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBuffer&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlayOnBufferPercentage&quot;:42,&quot;autoPlayOnSmartBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;quality&quot;:&quot;default&quot;,&quot;fshd&quot;:false,&quot;onlyNotification&quot;:false,&quot;enableFullScreen&quot;:true,&quot;saveBandwidth&quot;:false,&quot;hideAnnotations&quot;:false,&quot;turnOffPagedBuffering&quot;:false}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{&quot;loadBundle&quot;:true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

5. austinhunt

austinhunt

Thanks a lot guys. All the opinions are appreciated. I'm pretty set on the box because it will make hauling small stuff easier. I don't think I will chop it unless I add a thick roof cap. But either wat it will remain about the same height. I am partial to more original looking hot rods that have something hiding under the hood.

6. austinhunt

austinhunt

Wow, I had a feeling that was Langy's driveway. Knew it when I saw the stainless! The guy does some great work! I followed his green metal flake roadster build.

That said, I'm not sure I can be held to the same high standard, but I want to give it a shot. I wonder how to go about making those stake pockets....

Here are some pictures of my latest gas welding. I know the panel looks ugly now that it's all lop-sided and not symmetrical, but my gas pedal foot said it needed more space. And space is what it got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. The stake pockets were bought ready made in the States very cheaply. If you PM'd Steve he'd let you know.

Yes - he certainly does nice work. He has a lifetime of experience. You're doing pretty well for a young bloke.

8. go in the parts for sale forum & type in roadster pickup. Del carr on the board here makes them & may give you some pointers. You are doing good man just keep hammering & welding,[​IMG]

9. austinhunt

austinhunt

Thanks blackjack, I'm giving it my best. I'll look into making/buying stake pockets and some 16 gage if possible. BOB thanks for the lead!

Next on the list is brake line and a seat.

10. austinhunt

austinhunt

Wow! It's been a while! I have been working on my little truck pretty hard and made a lot of progress. I had to go back and re-do a lot of things I wasn't quite satisfied with and I just haven't been taking pictures or near a computer. Its almost ready for a driveway cruise on the bright side. Getting started on the wiring with my dad who was an electrical engineer.

11. noboD

noboD

12. Come on man, throw us a couple pictures!
    Good to see this thread up again.

13. Squablow

Squablow

I want to see pictures! This was a neat project, glad to see it's still coming along.

14. austinhunt

austinhunt

15. austinhunt

austinhunt

Working on wiring right now! The wire for this truck is pretty cool, if I say so myself. It is Teflon insulated, silver plated wire that came off some radio equipment built by NASA in the early 60's. It is still in great condition and by far the best wire I have ever touched. It doesn't look much different than modern wire, but the first one you grab lets you know something is different. --One of the perks of having a HAM radio operator for a dad, who was around back then.

16. Psssssttt. Hey kid! Looks good. Keep it up. First time build........sheez. You're doing better then most, at three times your age. Substance is everything.......and that truck is all you. I know you're proud......Alaska proud. Can't wait to see it done, whatever you do.

No criticism here......do what you want.....but the rear frame transition would be easy work for you. First time, with your skill....no excuse to save it for the next build. You have the scrap, the time, the grinders, the torch, and the welder. X cut some channel, would be good. Get it, and slap some paint to match.

I like the box idea too on the rear cargo build.....flat would be the easy way out....which is understandable.....but then again....what part of your build has been easy? Nothing brother!

Again, I really LIKE YOUR BUILD. You my friend.....will become someone very special, some day soon. Life experience is everything, and you have had a GREAT start. Clapping for you, and your parents.....right now.

17. How's this going?

18. InPrimer

InPrimer

Good idea to replace all the wood, may be a lot of work but in the long run you'll find the work and the (rigidity) well wort it. PS it's good to see a young gun getting the fever.. PPS where in AZ are you visiting??

19. Micky Warren

Micky Warren

I just stumbled across you page whle searching the net. I have a 1928 Graham truck that my grandfather bought new in 1928. Do you still have any parts left? If you need anything for your I have four parts trucks but still not enough. Thanks! Trucks looking great.

20. austinhunt

austinhunt

Wow, it has been a long time since I signed in. I'm almost done with college though. The hotrod is still coming along!

21. Glad to hear it - keep plugging away at it.

22. austinhunt

austinhunt

well I'm having trouble loading pictures to this new hamb. I haven't been around since the big change so I have some learning to do I guess. Check back in a few days for more progress.

23. austinhunt

austinhunt

Well it's been a long time since I have been around. I have a new job in a Washington state, new place with no garage for a year, and I sold the hotrod. I'll post a few pics of the condition it was in. It was great, but just too much compromise. I will build the next one from scratch.... I'm thinkin' all aluminum body too.

24. Glad to see you back, sorry to hear you sold the hotrod.
    It was good experience for you though and will be a benefit
    on your next build, whatever that may be.

25. austinhunt

austinhunt

It was a little sad hearing it rumble away - but I have the skills to build what I want now. I have a title for a '31 "two door" so I'm trying to decide on a Tudor or coupe build from scratch in aluminum, on a set of 32 rails.

26. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Too bad it had to go. I cant wait to follow along on your next build
    Congrats on finishing college and starting on the next phase of life

Bobby

27. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

It's a shame to hear your hotrod truck went away :( :( ,but good to hear you are doing OK and have plans for a new project :)....... Good luck.......

Lynn W