Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A Hot Rod restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1927graham, Nov 24, 2013.

1. I checked out the unisteer site, I'll just stick with what I have. I'll pull out the box again and go through it again, paying attention to the littlest wear I find. I like the 41 box, 2" free play with the 13" steering wheel just makes me nervous at highway speeds, 70+.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. I see the Early Ford Store has a rebuild kit for my 41 Ford steering box, appears to be complete, anybody have experience with these kits? Are they US manufactured?

3. DSCN9497.JPG Have 600 miles on this build and the transmission (newly rebuilt 350) took a crap on me yesterday, the tranny shop will take care of that part. Have not been happy with the rope seal we used on the rear main so I'm going with the rubber seal Russ Martin uses on his Buick engines, gotta be better than the rope. I'll finish pulling this engine/tranny this morning, we'll see how the removable tranny cross-member I put in works. That engine and tranny fits very tight under the body.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Hard to believe I was driving this hot rod yesterday. The removable tranny x-member I put in worked like a charm, otherwise I would've had to pull the body off the frame, came apart nicely, everything is such a tight fit. I will now run the tranny to AB Transmission, Eagle Lake, MN., still in warranty, of course. The engine will stay in my shop, I'll address the rear main seal leakage myself, Russ Martin is sending me a rubber seal that should fix that problem. Been a long day today. DSCN9511.JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  5. loudbang

loudbang

Still looks good even when it's in pieces.

1947knuck and 1927graham like this.
  6. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Man ,tranny an engine problems already,still better now than when your miles from home heading to or returning from a run,still looks like it's doing 100 mph while sitting there

volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  7. Finally got the new rear main seal (rubber) today at noon. Got the engine buttoned up, all the adapter stuff bolted on with the tranny, and in the car. The drive train is completed, as is the motor mounts and the tranny mount. Had a busy day today, hope to get the car on the road tomorrow. The rear main seal went in pretty well, got it from Russ Martin, California, got to be better than the rope crap!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Got the Model A on the road today, does not leak one drop of oil from the rear main, I'm very happy.

BradinNC and volvobrynk like this.
  9. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Awesome, sweet pickup you have there.

1927graham likes this.
  10. Got rid of the bias tires from Coker, went to same size radials, what a difference they make, the car rides and handles so much better. Drove it 2 hours today, still not a drop of oil from the new rubber rear main seal. Not a lot of room but I love driving it, I like looking out the windshield and see all those carbs, and they are all saying "feed me, feed me".

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dammed scientists and engineers, always fooling with tradition! Good move on the tires, every now and then we just have to give a wink and a nod to the past and embrace a little new-fangled comfort, precision and peace of mind. Gary

volvobrynk, loudbang and 1927graham like this.
  12. 54sled

54sled

Very nice truck!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

1927graham likes this.
  13. Beautiful! Great engine choice.

Ben

1927graham likes this.
  14. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Beautiful truck. Nice clean build. Could you tell me what make of wheels you are running in the rear,size and bolt pattern? Thanks, Bob.

1927graham likes this.
  15. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

very nice build, I really like your color choices.

16. The rears are 7" x 15, I bought these wheels from: http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/ got this set of 4, online with free shipping and no tax, great price and very good folks to work with.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  17. I really like this engine, my first Nailhead, a good, solid motor.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

I love your truck. Great stance and perfect perportions. Annd now you added so much detail. I'm jealous! Great job!!!!!

1927graham likes this.
  19. Thank you for the kind compliments, just trying to do this build as I would have in the 60's, if of course I'd had any money then, $2-3 an hour wasn't much to plan on, and we had other things on our mind also, booze and girls, etc., life was good then.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  20. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Very nice car, especially with the "nailhead". The '41 steering box will be a snap to rebuild for someone with your talent. I would use Joblot Automotive or The Old Ford Store for the steering shaft, sector shaft and bearings because they are probably NOS. I know it's getting hard not to, but stay away from the Chinese crap. This is one of the most overlooked parts that people seem to never rebuild. No special tools needed and with your skills can be done on a Saturday morning. Keep us posted!

21. Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    kidcampbell71, volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  22. DSCN9550.JPG Just hit 1,500 mile on my 54, 322 Nailhead, really like this engine.

23. Man, I envy you and your truck. It's just so sweet, and perfect....and at the same time mean and nasty. Nailhead, ten spoke fronts, stance.....colors.....you name it....just stellar ! Hope you enjoy it more than I do. :)

1927graham, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  24. That's a real nice compliment, thank you for your interest, if you were my neighbor, I'd be buying you beer on a regular basis!!!

25. loudbang

loudbang

For free beer I could move. :rolleyes:

26. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

What were the dyno results? Am also running a 322 with a complete stock rebuild. curious about H P and torque

1927graham likes this.
  27. I don't have the file in front of me at the moment, I had him run the engine to only 4,000 rpm, I recall we were near 200 HP and 250 lbs. of torque. the engine will go to 5,500 rpms but I didn't want the risk. I think this is an honest +275 HP engine, probably not much more, ample for the light weight Model A. I had Berry Cams, Lester Prairie, MN regrind the cam, I believe they used the 56 Buick specs, it has an awesome chop @ 900 rpms, I didn't expect that. As an added note, the intake had a significant vacuum leak and the carbs had the wrong power valves in them, I have 4 carbs operational. Thank you for your interest.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Just took a load of engine parts to Forest Lake, MN yesterday. Met Clinton Houle, the owner of Race Coating, very impressed with his facility. He is ceramic coating (chrome) my headers, 6-2 intake manifolds and many other parts, his work amazed me. Should have back in 3 weeks, he is extremely busy.
    http://www.racecoatings.com/

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  29. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Cool nailhead!

My '55 322 will be running 6x2 also.

I will post up some results on the HP etc once it is together.