Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 55-57 Pontiac Customs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Toast, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks, love your 57! I will probably have a few questions when I get further into it.

2. Jay71

Jay71

Good lord, that has got to be the nicest 56 I've ever seen! I am in love with that car.

droppedstepside likes this.
  3. Brenden

Brenden
    from Australia

I can't remember if it was featured in rod and custom or rod and kulture, but there is a '57 coupe that has a satin red body and gloss red insert/roof that I've always loved, it was featured 3 or 4 years back.

I've tried to find it on google for the last 20 minutes but can't find a thing...

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

How low? You can get a quick 3" or so drop by adding 1-inch square tubing between the lower control arms and the spring plate. Drill, grind, or air-chisel the rivets, slip in the tube with holes drilled, & replace rivets with grade-8 bolts & self-locking nuts.
    It's basically like cutting coils except the ride does not get stiffer because the spring is still the same length and the shock rides at stock length/position. Lower than that might take spindles to avoid bottoming out all the time.

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

A couple more.

Attached Files:

• p4.jpg
      p4.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
    • p7.jpg
      p7.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
    • p9.jpg
      p9.jpg
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
    • p10.jpg
      p10.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
    • paso9031.jpg
      paso9031.jpg
      File size:
      59 KB
      Views:
  7. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Hey toast I think you own my old '55 chieftain! Did you buy it near Berkeley? Last I heard it was owned by groucho in Burbank then he sold it to a guy in the bay area. If it's the same car, it was my first car I ever owned and I bought it when I was 14.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Don't think it is the same car. This car spent its whole life in Oklahoma and Texas from what I can find. Plus its a Catalina not a Chieftain.

9. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Oh gotcha...looks EXACTLY like my old one. That's a Chieftain...the Catalina just means it's a two door hardtop without the post. The Star Chief is the next model up with the thicker trim, longer body, and different trunk. Mine was Sequoia Green and White Mist when I bought it, but originally a special order Firemist Bronze and white, which were Star Chief only colors

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. randy

randy

I just lowered a friend's '55 2-door sedan. We stepped the lower A arms up front and did a triangulated 4-link + bags in the rear. Sits, well... like a bagged car.

So far, all we've done to it in terms of body mods is "de-fin" it and ditch the filler door. Basically I just sectioned the fin down so there is no hump. I cut the pot metal trim pieces down too so if you weren't familiar with Pontiacs, you might not even notice. Sorry, just have crappy cell phone pics.

Attached Files:

11. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Hi toast here are some crummy pictures of my old '55...they're twins hahaha

Attached Files:

12. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Green and white seems to be popular color combo. I have a 2dr sedan that was originally green and fugly eggshell green, now green and white. I need to update my photos and post them,

13. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

14. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Catalinas are tough to find. Expensive too if not hacked up. You could probably sell that catalina and buy two chieftains to cut on. I sold my catalina a few years back and still kick myself for it. Mine was custom, but came to me as an unfinished project with missing parts. I couldn't afford to bring it back to original, but always wish I could have. Catalinas came from the factory "customized" compared to their chieftain and star-chief counterparts. Don't cut it up too bad, you may regret it one day. I love those cars. Good luck with it all.

15. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Everything I am doing is bolt on, no harm done here.

16. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

The Catalina just meant two door hardtop, like the Chevy Bel Air, right? How were they customized from the factory?

17. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

You are correct, it was essentially a trim level option similar to Bel-Air v. 210/150, etc.

I use "customized" as a relative term in comparison to the relatively vanilla chieftain. They had better trim options and the larger star chief looks on a the shorter 860/870 chassis. The body had slightly different proportions than the chieftain as well, mostly in the trunk area. The whole car looks more elegant than the 2dr post sedan chieftain counterparts in my opinion. That is what I meant.

Also the statement was a harken back to a 1956 pontiac brochure that when describing the catalina it starts out "Here is a car that has received the "custom treatment" all the way".
    http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/pontiac/56tiac.html

That's all I meant.

18. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Finally, mine is starting to look custom.

[​IMG]

19. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

here's a few of my old '56 catalina. Never got it all the way finished, but definitely a lot of "custom". Shaved, decked, lowered, 50 Pontiac and '59 cadillac taillights, '54 olds hood ornament, 1955 grille, SBC/TH350, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A car that really benefits from the "less is more" school of kustoms. Some chrome revisions, wheel covers, frosty colors and the right stance, done.

Pimp Performance likes this.
  21. DOC JOE

DOC JOE
    from so ca

Did this some time back. Thinking of doing it over but I got enough going on and mite sale it[​IMG]

22. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

^^^^ Not a fan of the wheels and tires but love the car!^^^^

23. ClassicDriver

ClassicDriver

I know this is an old thread... but would like to get advice on four link for the 55-57 Pontiac. Looking at triangulated 4 link in a 57 and it looks like I would have to do some floor massaging. Anyone have experience with this? If so, please let me know. Pictures would be great also....

Thanks!

24. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

that"s Jacks Green one!

25. Pimp Performance

Pimp Performance
    from Australia

Going to keep an eye on this thread for sure! About to get started on this as the family hauler! But I would have to agree, they already are wild looking cars and really don't need much for a mild custom. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413109523.720997.jpg

26. I parted out a super rotted '56 Safari years ago and someone had customized the grille center by adding '60 Chevy car rear bumper guards as teeth to it. It's just about a drill the holes and bolt them on modification. They're only a couple of inches tall.

I still have a '57 stashed away but it's just an old 4-door waiting for a new lease on life.

27. Hello I got a killer 56 starchief for sale on here right now ATT00000-4.jpeg a1700b52b881465520347bb1c227ff5e.jpeg

Gambler 1962 and droppedstepside like this.
  28. Graveyardsaint1

Graveyardsaint1

Love them pontiacs...

29. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a kool one from KKOA last year. image.jpg image.jpg

droppedstepside and loudbang like this.