Register now to get rid of these ads!

26-7 T Modified Build ALL FORD - BY FORD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastrnu, Nov 24, 2010.

1. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Lots of great info and ideas in here and lots of inspiration. Just picked up a 27 Touring basketcase that will very slowly turn into a modified as well, so I'll definitely continue following. Keep the updates coming!

Also crazy seeing Frenchy Dehoux pop up in this thread, I need to see what the detail king of the vintage and Cal Look VW world is up to with American iron...

2. swimeasy

swimeasy

This is all going together real nice for ya. Love those shocks!

3. 55willys

55willys

Heres a shot of the turbo getting ready to be coated with Cerakote. Good to 2,600 degrees

Attached Files:

4. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

So heres the big update.
    Like I been saying aint been after this like I should. Been pretty run down last few years. Pneumonia kicked my ass pretty good. Went to doc for follow-upon Tuesday, told him chest was still hurting on the left side. Doc said it appears to be Unstable Angina......Told him she seemed pretty stable when I married her. Never seen him lose it before,,,Finally made him smile!....2 days later did angiogram found 99% blockage in the Left Cardiac Artery. Got stint on Thursday. Feel like someone plumbed me with direct port fuel injection. They want me to take it easy for a while. BULLSHIT I took it easy all the way till they released me. I figure if I was getting things done at -99% how much can I do at +100%.
    Turbo parts come home from coater on Monday. Still need to order rebuild kit.
    Went and got 55willys free 61 Ford Zypher yesterday. Rough shape but mostly there. Should give him some of what he needs for the one I bought him last month. Best $500 I ever spent! Just the look on his face when I told him the car he just loaded was his Suddenly he has 2 free 61 English Ford Zyphers.

5. Thanks

I am building another Hot Rod you can type my name here on the H.A.M.B and you can see what I am building.

Frenchy

6. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Welcome!
    Hey bro do yourself a favor and do your intro. Some wannbe board cop will end up busting your chops. Besides, we all wanna hear what ya got, and see some pics. WE LOVE PICS!
    Like that you got yourself 27 touring!
    Shits gonna get movin now! "Stay back and dont let the sparks hit ya"

7. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Got my blower parts back from the coater. Totally impressed. Now send off to G-Pop to get Compressor wheel and turbine shaft re-balanced. The aluminum was to stained for clear so Jason went with an aluminum finish on the housing. I appreciate how clean he kept his work. Note the old rebuild tag! Total cost 0.....Thanks Jason!.

Attached Files:

8. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Funny you mention that... I had looked and couldn't find an intro thread before. Found it now though!

Shame to hear about your health struggles - all the more inspiration to get to work. Just need time, space, and money. Having switched teams from VWs I don't have any spare parts or locals I can turn to, going lone wolf.

Definitely thinking your front spring, pedal and master setups are going to weigh heavy on what I do with mine.

9. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Saw your intro ....good deal...keep them wannabees off yer butt. They love pickin at FNG's

As for health....I got plenty of manpons..
    Little distracted on build, 55willys has my back though. Just ordered rebuild kit for the 2.3 now wait. Probably head towards mounting the shocks next. My focus is to get my little pieces of dirt ready for our "Mortgage Burning Party"

Don't know much about vw guys but the folks I met in this car world have been pretty great. Jump in start looking and the stuff just appears.
    As for using what I done "Thanks". I believe in R&D (Rob and Duplicate)
    And its OK to be a Kopy Kat just copy the right cat!

10. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Hey Fastr - glad to see you kicked the pneumonia - (I know) that must have been hell, especially with a broken rib to boot - yikes! Loving this thread.

(BTW - who cares about someones intro? I don't....)

11. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Thanks! Rebuild kit for the 2.3 should be here today! (Crossed Fingers)
    Waiting for turbo kit.
    We pie cut the ends of the front bones set them at 10 degrees over the weekend.
    Thinking about changing my front hangers. Looking to incorporate balls for the model A shocks into them. Suddenly not liking the ones I built. (Don't fit the look.....got no flow)

Still getting after house for the big Mortgage Burning Party. Now power washed and ready for paint next week. wuta mess.

12. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Mortgage burning party - I've heard of them but never seen one. Prolly rare! Does it mean we'll be waiting on updates for a while?

Also - took a look at your "About You" page - interesting and funny stuff! Congrats on all your successes, sounds like a great life.

Couple questions - I'm starting on a similar project (same year T) and see how you added those rails on the outsides, but they don't connect at the rear - will you tie it in? I'm going with flathead power and am trying to decide if I should do a similar thing as you did with those side rails, or build a full frame right from the start. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  13. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Looked at your build. I added the outer frame to match my touring body. Has 3 gussets, between inner and outter frame. Will cap and tie in the ends after I get the back of the body done. Make it flow together.
    For the flathead on your build I would be leaning towrds an x member inside the frame. Saw a T frame done once where the guy boxed it with the outsides of another T frame. looked awsome, Lotta work.
    If you are thinking of copying that cute little runabout and going with the removable fender plan (Which I really like) I would simply step box and X it.

14. 55willys

55willys

55willys here got the seal power engine rebuild kit from Napa, turbo rebuild kit, and balanced compressor and turbine shaft from G-Pop shop. Been working way too much on side jobs and not this fun stuff.

Thrashed on a friends 34 pickup trying to get it finished and wired for Billet Proof but the trans decided to not work and we gave up at midnight thirty last night after 2am the night before.

Took the day off today to go to Billet Proof for the first time and loved it. Oops accidently bought 27 T Touring body cut off like the one we are building:D

brEad likes this.
  15. 55willys

55willys

IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0229.JPG It has been about 14 months since the last post. A lot has been going on for both of us (fasternu and 55willys). I have had way too much side work and then hurt my back in December of 2013 and missed a lot of work. But am better now with just a bit of pain in my right leg to remind me of it.

Bob took his 25TT out for the first time this spring and seized the engine so we decided to fix it a couple months ago and one thing led to another now it has different motor mounts, steering, wiring, and a trailer hitch. Funny thing was it only took a few hours to remove the bed, cab, engine, and trans but it took a full two months to put it back together.

My life has been a bit crazy and I have been living in Bob's carport for the last month and a half. Just upgraded from the cot to a teardrop trailer 2 weeks ago. I also made a casting pattern and had 20 wide five adapter covers cast, rebuilt my dads American Tool Works lathe (manufactured about 1898) and set up my mill drill and machined the adapter covers. So if you need a pair my contact info is below.

All this to say it's time to get back on the modified and hope to be making some progress and pictures

16. pumpman

pumpman

Found you guys through a link on another thread, glad I hit it. Really enjoyed reading this and hope you post somemore as you get after it again.

17. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Just a quick update! took some time off from the HAMB after I got ripped off by another Alliance Member. Went completely through the 25 TT from one end to the other. The Modified is still in my shop waiting like a faithful little puppy. I have cleaned the area around it and have intentions of throwing wheels on it and putting in carpet so I can get my tired bones under it and finish welding the rear of my floor pans. I picked up some brand new Model A hydraulic shocks (Thank You Gieco) Around $800 bucks for the 4. But damn are they nice Have found way to get pics up finally with my old laptop will get some up for you guys ........Thank you all for your patience!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  18. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Spent last weekend getting ceaned up around the modified. my sone and I moved it where I could around it, then put an old carpet under it. 55Willyand I didn't like the way we originaly hung the front spring from the 38+ bones. We also noticed a couple cracks that did not show earlier. I took the front end apart and disected the bones. added 3/16th flat stock for strength Pe-drilled them for 1"OD DOM and will use a set of 32 heavy perches hung from the bottom.. This will be plenty for my 1500lb target weight I have the first one fitted and am starting on the second.

19. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Dang pictures didnt load.........will try again!

20. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

OK lets try again. added a shot of my favorite fan hiding from the sparks.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  21. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Cool car man. Can't wait to see it boil water. Keep on truckin !

22. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Keep rollin,' Washingtonian.

23. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Got my first bone back together yesterday. Thought the 11/16th DOM looked kinda small sticking out of my bone So I called my local shop and they had some pipe with .995 ID. Grabbed a chunk for a buck and cut sleevee to go around the DOM. Filed the seam down on the inside and removed a little material aon inner wall. Then I persueded them over the DOM with a 4lb hammer. First rule of physics: "with enough force anything will fit". Now they look more substantial and fit the look of the bones. Left a little material on them for when 55willys machines them to fit the perches.
    Note: I left the bottom bung un-welded for the pic to better show what I did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  24. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Another full day at it > Got the second bone done for 55willys to take up to Bremerton and machine the new bosses for their perches. If things went right he should be showing up with some original A perches and shackles.
    Ya ever have one of those day. where the harder ya try the worse it gets. Got 2" of the left middle finger with my 4.5" grinder. Ran right up it. Damn that stings. Still didn't put the gloves on so I could get my index finger too. I quit with a pair. Wasn't going to try for 3 of a kind.

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. 55willys

55willys

Brought the spring perches and U type shackles with zerk fittings on them. These will go well with the rest of the used cast off parts on the rest of the car. Jim Ford

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

001 (800x600) (640x480).jpg kewl, 55willys droped off my perches and shackles. Nothing like free parts. Genuine Henry Ford! He picked up the bones and took them to do the machine work on the bungs. They should look a heck of alot better then the store bought stuff.

volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  27. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

While the bones are off getting machined, lets get after shock placement. We wanted to keep them close to the axle and as outboard as possible. We decided on the front of the frame was a great place. Just needed a good spot.
    First I piecut the wings on either side of the T frame, and laid them down. The shocks lined up perfectly using the lower inside rivet. Perfect locator. Grind it and drill it. We needed a filler piece for the outside boly and to keep it from looking like it was just hanging out in space. Made a quick template. Scrounged through the scrap box and found an old piece of a B.K playground i got paid to haul off 19 years ago. Thank you Burger King! Their 18gauge made a great floor for my Avatar. It works out perfectly for the little piece it is. The template will just get flipped and work for the other side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  28. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Taking day off today. Hands are feeling it pretty good. Planned on going to Monroe Swap Meet but its been raining all night and still coming down pretty hard.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

PLEASE ........ post LARGE pictures instead of thumbnails.......

Love the car ! :)

30. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

002 (640x426).jpg OK I lied. 55willys stopped by with the bones after cuting the inside taper. I couldn't resist doing a quick mockup.
    Sure looks alot better then those store bought shackles and hokey joe mounts I built last year Harff Gag. at ride height they should be spot on.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    bct likes this.