Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 chev truck dropped axle in a 57 belair suggestions anyone

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JIBTORQUER1957, Oct 10, 2014.

1. JIBTORQUER1957

JIBTORQUER1957

I HAVE A 57 BELAIR 2DR HARDTOP,AND A 55-57 CHEVY TRUCK DROPPED FRONT AXLE. INSTEAD OF A JACKED UP GASSER, I WANT TO SET IT LOW. OH YEAH, AND A FLIP FRONT END. IF ANYBODY HAS PICTURES OR SUGGESTIONS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YA. THANKS JIB T!

2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Whats the point of putting an axle in it than, just cut the coils or put some differant springs in it to lower it. And take the capslock off while your at it.

3. deto

deto

Suggestion... Don't do it...

4. I got nuthin, but I love your avatar.

5. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

How low do you want it? If you want it low, like stock height, why go with an axel and not just keep the ifs front? If you want it low, as in raised a little over stock but not sky high, then using the dropped style truck axel and single or twin leaf sprins will get you there. The 55 in my avatar was built by my father in the late 60's using the dropped front axel out of a early 60's chevy van. It was one with finned brake drums and three leafs. He mounted the springs under the stock uncut frame rails and bolted in the axel. The car does not sit very high.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Please dont put a straight axle under it to lower it.

7. seldom scene

seldom scene

low budget gave you good advice, you probably won't pay attention, and cause the next guy lots of headaches.

8. JIBTORQUER1957

JIBTORQUER1957

thanks for the reply, I just saw one years ago and thought it was very cool, I've never seen another like it, maybe there is a reason for that.