Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest lost my mom last saturday...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 333 Half Evil, Oct 10, 2014.

1. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Hey hambers, I have not been on much lately as life has been really hectic and I'm trying hard to resurect a small machine shop that I work at. So with a really heavy heart I'm posting here today due to the passing of my mother. She had been doing quite well since my dad passed away in 2012, living with my sister and trying to continue on with her life. We had taken her to the U.P. last summer and had her out camping this past june, and all was going well. In late august early september, we noticed her appetite was getting smaller and she had lost some weight so my sister took her to her family doctor for a check-up. They found a sign of cancer in her blood work, thought is was elderly onset lukemia, and made a couple more appointments for her in october, told us to change some of her meds, and see how the next couple weeks go. That was Friday Sep.19th, and by sunday the 21st she had become unable to walk. On monday she was throwing up so my sister took her to emergency and had her admitted. They ran some more tests, looked at reults from her family doctor, and after some scans found a mass on her right lung. The G.H. hospital does not have a cancer ward so we elected to have her transfered to the Muskegon Hospital.

My mom had a bout with stomach cancer 18+ years ago and was treated at the Muskegon Hospital so we figured that would be best. They ran some tests and found that the mass was a large tumor. It was a very aggressive/invasive tumor and that it would be in-operable. My mother was unable to take chemotherapy as was found out years ago with her stomach cancer, and the doctor informed us that radiation would only prolong the inevitable. My mother was terminal, dying of cancer. My sister and I have Medical POA for my mom, and we had discussed her will for life care, hospice, life support, resuscitation, etc. and were now facing tough decisions. My mom was still mentally sharp, and she did not want to be in the hospital nor a care facility, she wanted to be at home. We brought her home from the hospital on my birthday, Sep. 27th. and proceeded to give her in home hospice care. I had hoped that my mom would not suffer for years with this cancer, but figured with her having tests run in May and there was no sign of cancer to having this massive tumor in Sep. that there probably would not be a long time before she passed away.

The last week of her life she was able to talk with her grand kids and tell them how much she loved them and we all were able to share that with her. On thursday Oct. 2nd I had told my mom that I was going to miss her and that I was ok with her letting go and joining dad. She said she loved me. Fridat the 3rd, my daugther went to feed Grandma at lunch, grandma was having a hard time talking but did tell my daughter she loved her and was going to miss her. That was really hard on my daughter but also made her feel extremely good. That was the last time my mom spoke, she passed away at 10:00 am saturday morning Oct. 4th one week after coming home. Only 15 days passed from the time we found out she was terminal until the time she passed. It has been very hard on my sister Robin who took care of my mom the most. My mom was Robin's angel. They were very close.

I just want to take a little more of your time and let everybody know, please cherrish those you love, let them know how you feel, hug them, and make sure you do everything you can to keep in touch. I've got a couple of siblings that for some reason was not able to come to see my mom before she passed. We called to let them know, but they must have had something more important. Even if they didn't need to see mom for themselves, it would have been nice for my mom to have been able to see them. She asked about them and all we could do was tell her we had called them and that hopefully they would be able to stop by. Mom and I talked a little bit about them a few days before she stopped talking, and I know it was hurtful to her. So please, if not for yourself, please take in consideration of those who care about you what just a phone call or quick visit could mean. Life is short....

Thanks for your time,
    Al Larsen
    A.K.A. 333 Half Evil

2. Sorry for your loss brother,many of us have had to deal with the loss of both parents,stay strong. HRP

3. Crying wasn't a part of my plans for tonight. Hang in there buddy...

Dustin

Bubba1955 likes this.
  4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Thanks HRP

Bubba1955 likes this.

5. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Sorry Dustin, I've been crying for the past two weeks...man this has been tough.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  6. Nobey

Nobey

Sorry to hear the news Al, we send our prayers and love to you, and your family.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  7. Man, I've been there done that....hang in there, thoughts go out to you and yours.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Bubba1955 likes this.
  8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Sorry for your loss. The passing of a loved one is never easy.
    It was tough reading what you recently went through.
    From what you wrote about your mum and your dad, I can tell they they would be very proud of you and your sister.
    Geoff aka whodaky

Bubba1955 likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You wrote a very touching post and have made a good case for all of us to savor the time remaining with our loved ones, whether the time limits are theirs or ours.....do not waste the opportunities to be kind.

My sincere Condolences for your loss and Best Wishes for you and your family.

Ray

bald_and_grumpy and Bubba1955 like this.
  10. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Thanks Nobey, Fargo, whodaky and Ray...

Bubba1955 likes this.
  11. brady1929

brady1929

Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for your loss. I'm facing the loss of my best friend of 38 years, motorcycling buddy, and confidant. He has just a couple weeks of life left, and it's killing me to see him go through this. Esophageal cancer, now in his lungs, liver and lymphatic system, can hardly swallow water at this point. We're getting together every couple days and just sharing memories, trying to help where we can. Tears as I type.....

Bubba1955 likes this.
  13. pastlane

pastlane

My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family. Lost my Mom to cancer many years ago. It's never easy. Treat each day as the blessing that it is.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  14. hallrods

hallrods

sorry for your loss

Bubba1955 likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to you , and the rest of the family & friends.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  16. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

Thank you so much for sharing.. Your loss is now felt by many. Only time will heal those losses. And Thank you for a life lesson that we all need. Bless your family. Walt

Bubba1955 likes this.
  17. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Sorry for you loss.....
    We are only here for a little while..

Bubba1955 likes this.
  18. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

My prayers go out to you and your family. Try to stay strong man!

Bubba1955 likes this.
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Prayers and sympathy for all of you, from here.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  20. So sorry for your loss Al

Bubba1955 likes this.
  21. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I totally understand Ebb, make sure every time you talk to let him know how much you care. I hope he goes peacefully for everyones sake. I'll send some thoughts and prayers that way.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  22. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Brady1929, Ebbsspeed, pastlane, hallrods, Jalopy Joker, customizer2024, HellsHotRods, midnightrider78, s55mercury66, & 13 Thank you all.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  23. Muttley

Muttley

Very sorry to hear this. I know exactly what you're going through, I lost my Mother to cancer in '05 at the age of 53.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  24. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Thanks Muttley

Bubba1955 likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry for your loss. But one happier note is at least you got some extended time to say good byes. Most of us loose a loved one quickly and never get the chance to say some heartfelt goodbyes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Bubba1955 likes this.
  26. I lost my Mom 4 years ago and think about and miss her every day. In time you'll relish the memories and the wounds will heal. God, bless your family.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  27. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Thanks for sharing your heart felt words. May your mom rest in piece and make the long jorney home to be with loved ones.
    It was great you and your family had all the good times with your mom.
    Lost my mom two years ago still miss her everyday. Spent a week camping with my dad, son, grandson just two weeks ago up at Ludington state park. Just the four of us had a great time, my dads 87. My son lost his 29 year old wife from brest canser one and half years ago.
    Life is short savor your time with loved ones. Ron

Bubba1955 likes this.
  28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Sorry for your loss Al. it is great that you and your sister could be there for your mom and that she was able to be at home as she wanted.
    Praying for you and for the siblings who did not cone to see her, if not already they will at some point have to face the regrets of not taking the time.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  29. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom to lung cancer 9 years ago. I know that heart wrenching feeling. Just remember how much you loved each other. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  30. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Al---The last paragraph of your post kicks my ass---they could NOT take the time??? They will feel the guilt of that for a long time. Feel your pain, Man. Lost my Mom in 2006 and my brother a month ago. Prayers for you to get through this tough time. Marty./

Bubba1955 likes this.