Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Nascar Rearends

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dexter The Dog, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

In looking at pics of 62 Pontiac Nascars, they are all running the standard Holman Moody wheels that appear to be same size front and rear. The rear wheel arch lip is folded out but the quarters are still straight as original.
    I am using GM truck rallyes as the original H.M.'s are not to be found anywhere. Fronts I'm using are 8" and the rears are 7". The 7's will still not come close to clearing the quarters without a lot of flaring. I've only got about 1 1/4" inboard before I hit the frame. I'd rather not change the offset of the wheel anymore because of the look.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a simple rearend swap?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If I understand your post details correctly, I fail to see how a "rear end swap" will solve your problem.
    If you only have 1 1/4" frame clearance now, a narrower rear end doesn't seem feasible. What am I missing?

Maybe a deep set 6" wheel would offer some relief if you used a narrower rear axle assembly.

BTW: I absolutely LOVE the NASCAR cars of the '50s, '60s and early '70s, and that Pontiac is as good as it gets!

Ray

X38 likes this.
  3. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

That's my problem is clearance. I'm wondering if something like the Chev "X-frame" rear ends are a slightly narrower track than the Pontiacs. It would be nice to find something that would line up with springs and trailing arms but I think I may be asking too much for that

4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I think I remember the57 Ford 9inch was one of the narrower ones on the charts. Do a little searching and you can find a chart with all the popular widths. Good Luck!

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Once again......if the tire to FRAME clearance is the issue, preventing the wheels/tires to move inboard regardless of axle width, you need a frame narrowing modification as well as a narrower rear axle. The axle swap is the easier part of this but not sufficient by itself to solve the problem you have described.

Ray

loudbang and X38 like this.
  6. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Ray, even if I could buy 1/2" to 3/4" per side it would get me away from bowing out those guardrail quarter panels.... And based on the pics of the original track cars, they were getting it to work somehow. I know they weren't moving the rails as even the gas tanks were stock in '62.

7. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

There's a fellow in Hickory Tavern who owns a junkyard. Jimmy Kellet is his name. The number at the yard is 864 575 3293. He built the replica of the 22 that is in one of the museums. Call him and he can tell you how it was done. Good Luck!

loudbang likes this.
  8. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Thanks Rex. I've got pics of his car from the internet.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, given that you want a stock frame width and a very near stock quarter panel location, you only have whatever space there is between them to work with.

So, the tire width cannot exceed the space available, less clearance inside and outside, at least 3/4" each, for a total of 1 1/2", in my opinion. Then you have to decide what the wheel HAS TO LOOK like. If you want the deep set look of the NASCAR photo, then rim width will have to be compromised (maybe 6" or 6 1/2") and backspacing will have to be minimal to meet both those parameters. Having a wheel 'built' to meet that criteria is doable.

Rex's suggestion is a good idea. Asking someone who has dealt with this is probably best at this point.
    Best wishes......I do like your project...

Ray

10. Maybe they were using 14 inch wheels

11. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Not in denial - just confused as to how they got such a deep wheel under those quarters....

12. must have been some kind of off set or ?....a combination .....any chance to see the replica ? good luck

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Great to see another old stock car getting saved and restored.

Jimbo

14. They stuffed 'em with some custom offset steel hoops. Least of their worries........on a car........rim width.......center.......weld......done ! You can still contact stock car wheel makers. Several to choose from.....

loudbang likes this.
  15. dan griffin

dan griffin

57-58 Pontiac rear ends are narrower and 57 Olds is one inch narrower than Pont.

16. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

If anyone is interested, I heard back from a "builder" of the day that said they would cut and remove the outer half of the wheel well. Stuff the well with an airplane inner tube and inflate to suit, bowing the entire quarter for short track cars. The wheel wells were reverse tubbed straight to the quarters. Super speedway cars apparently didn't need the quarter panel flaring because of tire size regulations.
    Another search revealed that my stock rear end lands between a Ford 9" and a Dana 60 for strength so it's a keeper.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Hnstray likes this.
  17. Now I know how to do it if I ever get that 62 Catalina bug again!

18. chasracer54

chasracer54

Have you tried contacting Holman and Moody and just ask the dimensions of the wheels? They are still in operation and will probably have historical information available.
    Good luck!

[​IMG]