Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title Help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by xpittsx, Sep 22, 2014.

1. xpittsx

xpittsx
    from Jersey

Just purchased a model a with an original title....have the title in hand but have yet to pick up the car/body.

On the title there is two sets of numbers... an "engine" number and below "make" which says Ford there is another number.

The engine number is 7 digits. The make number has a letter and 6 digits. Is it safe to assume the the make letter/numbers is the VIN?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

Most Model A 'a had the letter A - and 6 didgets ... Frame # , engine # were the same at date of production by Ford ...

3. charlieb66

charlieb66

It's never "safe" to assume anything.

4. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

You don't say what state you live in. If you or a friend have someone in the tag agency that is a good friend, take the title to them and see what you must do to get it brought up to date. Preferably a country tag agent, not in a big city.

5. txturbo

txturbo

The most important thing is......do the numbers on that title match what is on the car?

6. oldsman41

oldsman41

if the title number on frame matches the title you shouldnt have any trouble the motor thats in it is original and matches even better.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There was originally a motor number with same number stamped on frame. Few Model A's still have their original motor, and the frame number is hard to get to. See what's what on the frame...that should be original number.
    What year is it? Number of digits is completely meaningless, as the Model A started with car number A-1 and the numbers then ran up sequentially as almost 5,000,000 were produced. The numbers can be roughly matched against date on the MAFCA or MARC club sites.

8. xpittsx

xpittsx
    from Jersey

Thanks guys! So im in New Jersey and the title is from Virginia.... it's a 1929 coupe....

I'll have to check the title numbers against the numbers that are on the body...

Just wasn't sure because the engine numbers and the (VIN??) numbers are different. (There is no engine so I wasn't worried about that) So I just wanted to make sure when I switched the title I had the right number...6 digits vs 7 digits.

The people at DMV had no idea or answers to my questions. .. they were just amazed by the title itself.... the woman was walking around showing everyone and it seems to have made everyo day!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. The number should be on the frame rail under the cowl on the left (Driver's side)
    a 1929 could have six or seven digits after the 'A' depending on when it was built
    The only numbers stamped in the body were assembly plant numbers and are not the same as the VIN or Serial number

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

". they were just amazed by the title itself.... the woman was walking around showing everyone and it seems to have made everyo day!!!"
    When you make your move, go back to THAT woman! Emotion really helps, and bringing cheer to a DMV employee will get things done.
    A few years back, I went through hell for 6 months at the DMV when NJ went to the new federalized ID system; I could not get my license renewed because I was born in China during the revolution and the government itself was fleeing the city...so no real birth certificate. One day I went back for the 987th time, but with my daughter, clutching a brand new baby...everyone passed the baby around, wham-bam I was driving again!!
    If I have to do that again, I'll be carrying a basket of puppies and leading a baby giraffe!

Hnstray, dtracy, Keep and 1 other person like this.
  11. How that's funny.....

12. dtracy

dtracy

That's funny Bruce and I know exactly what you mean.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure if NJ has an inspection process but as soon as I knew that the number on the frame matched the title I'd try to transfer it into my name and even register it or go title purpose only or in-opt which ever applies. Then you can build it without worrying about title issues later.