Register now to get rid of these ads!

One special '57 Linc in our shop (large pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rnx69, Apr 4, 2013.

1. rnx69

rnx69
    from Estonia

Howdy all,

Last week we had one very special guest in our shop and it seems that she would like to stay longer :)

At first I have to say that it's not my car and I have not too much related to it either - I just help my friend and shopmate to restore it for a client.

Considering the year of production - maybe not really the best material for fellow hambers, but the fact it's '57 Lincoln Premiere Convertible could made you all curios and I decided to share some pics of the car and hopely later building process. As I understand the car is pretty rare today and I guess (shooting from my hip) that it might be the only one in Northern Europe. I know it should be the only Premiere Convertible in Baltic States.

One picture should be worth more than thousand words, so, here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

That's gonna take some serious!s work and money I've got a 56 & 57 hardtop. A donor hardtop might be the best way. Look at my albums, the 57 could be bought. P.M me if interested.. Jack

3. Oh my. Luckily it's one of those "rust free" California cars or there would be nothing left...... Looks like the ones we build in the midwest. Just simply jack up the VIN tag and build a new body under it. Keep us posted on progress.

Where is Estonia?

4. rnx69

rnx69
    from Estonia

Well, actually the owner got another car for spares, so the situation isn't as bad as it looks. It's challenging, yes, but not impossible.

We have nice term here for that kind of cars - "Bucket with titles", but as long as owner is motivated and pays, it's OK for us.

As I understood, the car's engine went about 40 years ago and it just stood on field behind one barn until the current owner bought it.

Estonia is a small country in North-East Europe, near Finland and Russia, the northmost of three Baltic states :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    jakespeed63 likes this.

5. rnx69

rnx69
    from Estonia

Some updates, job in progress. Both door sills are replaced, new ones are custom made, stronger than originals and galvanized too. The driveshaft tunnel and gearbox cover are english wheeled to approximate shape, waiting new floor pans. Both rear wings are almost repaired, seemed that there's been some kind of rear end collision, both wings were covered with about 1/4 inches putty and were pretty streched out, so my friend had to make new repair panels and replace the damaged sections.

Some pictures too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  6. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great work on a rare car!

7. Huevos grande!

8. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Coming along nicely

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Lots of work has been performed in a short time... Very nice! Cool car!

10. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

11. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Getting parts for that is going to be a real challenge!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True "old world" craftsmanship it appears. I'd say you guys are up to the challenge. I always liked those big old Lincolns of that year but don't think I want to take one on as a project.

13. scrubba

scrubba

That's some spectacular sheet metal doings there ! PLEASE keep us up to date ! Just looking at the work going on amazes me . scrubba

14. big M

big M

You're doing some nice work, that will be a nice cruiser on down the road.

---John

15. 327Eric

327Eric

Nice. I have seen much worse in the states. Going to be a head turner there for sure.

16. rnx69

rnx69
    from Estonia

17. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

That's just like my car; Only one hole in the floor!

(unfortunately it starts at the cowl and ends at the trunk latch)

These pic's prove that there is nothing that was made, that can not be re-made by a quality craftsman.

18. rnx69

rnx69
    from Estonia

Progress has been slow last month or so, done only small details (too much small rust spots, that needed attention before attaching larger panels). Sorry for black and white pictures, the light in shop messed the colors and I had to convert them grayscale.

Here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Floorboard corner under the pedals, needs slightly more grinding and it's as good as new.

[​IMG]

Rear end of new driveshaft tunnel. The edge of the rearward panel was shot and it's replaced too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New battery box.

[​IMG]

New under-floor braces, the body mounts to the frame here.

[​IMG]

You only should weld the Lincoln with Lincoln wire :)

[​IMG]

New rear corner for left rear wing is wheeled out from some sheetmetal.

[​IMG]

Driveshaft tunnel is now welded in and waits new floorboard.

[​IMG]

Custom made spare tire well.

[​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  19. squeaky32

squeaky32

curious to see it when its done, subscribed.

20. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

21. rnx69

rnx69
    from Estonia

Almost a year is passed and the car has new floorboard now. Few pictures from progress:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's a great looking car and I'm sure you'll do it justice. It's quite a high-dollar car.

A good friend of mine owns one as well. He has a convertible with a factory continental kit and a Capri 2 door hardtop as well. Super pretty cars.
    [​IMG]

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

FANTASTIC workmanship........you are to be commended for such detailed and thorough reconstruction. Best wishes on the rest of the project. Looking forward to more progress reports.

Ray

24. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Well done sirs. Someone said earlier on, California rust free:D I grew up there and it just aint so.

25. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Great work so far keep it up

26. Some damned fine work going on in Estonia, pal ! Wow, that looks great !

27. Great work! So, do you know the story on this car? How did a So-Cal car end up in Estonia?

28. rnx69

rnx69
    from Estonia

The owner of the car bought four Lincoln Premieres from US. One two door sedan, one convertible and two four door sedans. One four door is fully restored, one is parts car and the two door is standing in front of our shop and waits it's time.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  29. Nice craftsmanship. Those cars are so special. Most truly deserve to be saved. Could have been a hellava lot worse, like rust on critical body parts. No one will ever see the floors. (crying shame)
    Does take some deep pockets, though. Hope the floors on my '64 Oldsmobile Starfire, can turn out that nice.
    JT