Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Race Of Gentlemen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 8, 2014.

1. flamingokid

flamingokid

Great Pics(and writing)

2. @MrModelT and I talked to Mel about doing duch an event. Clayton even found a beach that gave an OK. But Mel didn't like the idea, so we all just went to Wildwood this year. It would be cool to have it so close to home, but it would not be the same. Go to NJ, hit Hershey on your way back. I just got home from doing just that. It absolutly rocked.

Oh, and 2 WA cars and 1 OR car went. My Brother is trying to take his AV8 next year.

3. I hear yeah, I don't think just transferring "the race of gentleman" to another beach over here would be cool either. It would have to be a different race, but with a similar feel. Maybe a hill climb or a race at an abandoned airfield...

I can't help but feel we live in a area of some of the most beautiful scenery in the world along with being blessed by a fair amount of traditional cars to draw on as well, I just feel that our area would be perfect for a inspired by trog event, some like Goodwood festival of speed... The jazz age lawn party..... Something that captures the essence of what we are all chasing.

I just can't take the time off to travel how ever many miles round trip it is to race every year. Once or twice, sure. But not every year.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. jim galli

jim galli

I make a living in photography and gotta say that is the coolest set of images I've seen in a very long time. Thanks for putting them all up! Need to be there next year with the 5X7 Speed Graphic and turn some wheels at speed . . egg shaped. That camera is "correct" for 1934.

5. On my calendar for next year! Maybe the 'Hardscrabble Hop-Up' will be finished and worthy of consideration by TROG 2040, but then again, probably not hahaha.

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

We had a great time, met alot of great people, and saw the best car event we've ever experienced. Hoped to meet alot more people, but it was wide open all weekend with everyone going in different directions. The wheels on the Ole #7 truck hardly stopped for the time we were in NJ.

7. Hey there's 12 months and 50 states. I'm sure 11 other states could work up an event. Then we could have an event to go to every month. Sure beats sitting in a frigging parking lot. Or going to a "cruise in"and sitting in a parking lot anyway. LOL
    -Pat

8. Best let the MOD at Pendine know they're coming. They own the beach and fire rockets into the bay… Hate the survival rate to get lower!

9. All this talk about moving it West or having a similar or inspired event out West...
    You guys have so much going on out West. All us East coast guys have to make the trek for the really cool stuff; GNRS, the East/West flathead reliability runs, Pomona, etc. Plus, you have the rust free bodies out there.

It's pretty damn nice to have a unique event out our way. And with TROG, it's more than just having a beach to race on. It's the empty town that allows hot rodders free reign, its the 50s style motels and their neon lights, it's every little thing that comes together and makes it what it is.
    TROG is just a special event that works. Want in? Come East.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  10. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Yeah, cheers Elrod! Good to meet you too - The Boners had the best time ever and would just love to come back. I hadn't experienced that same sense of anticipation and exhilaration for a long, long time - it reminded me of waiting for my turn in the Big Top back when I was in the French National Circus, or when walking around with a big wad of cash in my pocket as a bookie's runner, never knowing if I was going to get jumped - TROG 3 was that good. Kind of funny how it brought back those forgotten and totally unrelated memories.

Hope you find your club plaque.

All the best

"Jon' from England".

11. I'm no where near done with this map, and I really hope it balances out some... But I would argue, looking at the current data, that there is a lot more going on in other parts of the country vs. The Pacific Northwest. While we have lots of shows out this way and the ones that are good are REALLY good.... most are street roddy.

12. Elrod

Elrod

A little video brought to you by Mark Foster and the Oilers Clothing Company. ;)

13. Best way to ruin a good thing is to move it or make it bigger. These people have created a top notch event, be thankful and leave them to it !!

14. BACKYARDKUSTOMZ

BACKYARDKUSTOMZ

This was a great event it was my first year down there, great people, great cars and bikes!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Those photos are incredible! Hats off to Tim Sutton, a true artist!! The event was off the charts as well!!! A highlight of my life :)

16. Great lil video.... the speed of the video segments do a good job of cropping out of most of the modern structures!

17. No offense meant to anyone who lives in New Jersey and I have never been there nor dreamed of going there as a destination,,,but now New Jersey ranks high on my bucket list.

What a great event. HRP

***Area-51*** and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Danny, I grew up going "down the Jersey Shore" (Ocean City and Sea Isle City mostly) and can tell you that it's a GREAT place to go to- if I can ever get ahead of life, the '28 Chevy speedster will get done and the trip will be made!

19. Hey Mel... did you paint this sign?

[​IMG]

20. ..a very good read ,Ryan, and outstanding pics. if Miller had asked me, i would have said, Oilers, Cool Cats.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Is the world power structure shifting towards the East Pole now?? I got a distinct impression the the Californians had nothing like some of our scenes and that some of then could not imagine these events happening out there.
    Within an easy drive of my NJ hut I have the ROG, the Jalopy Showdown, the Beaver Springs drags, the Jalopyrama in Annapolis, and the RJ event I have not yet seen...
    These are all events where the difference between the hotrod aesthetic and the sad aesthetic strivings of streetrods or ratrods are fully understood, and places with a lot of moving machinery.
    The philosophic input at these events come from Ryan himself, Mike Szuba, and Scary Larry...their rantings seem to be turning into a regional aesthetic of surprising power.
    Kinda like when Pete, Jake, and Charley Manson put California on the map...

22. Sorry I missed you Jeff. We met at GMG when I was passing through Dallas on my way back from California back in June and we discussed looking forward to TROG. Big place, big crowd. Maybe next year! - Andy

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

I look at the people (the one's I know or have met) whom have been a part of this event and these folks are all very artistic. They live in a way that embraces art, makes art, lives it, etc. It's beautiful to see it all come together.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  24. Damn fine article....and great photography! I went last year and still believe it's the best hot rod event I've been to. This year looks even better with way more cars and folks attending. I chose the Revival over TROG this year because I couldn't do both.

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is hard to imagine that events like this one and the wonderful Beaver Spring drags are even allowed to happen in contemporary USA...the unregulated trust in hotrodders is inspiring!
    To quote a forgotten philosopher..."as always, a knife-wielding maniac has shown them the way!"
    Zoom!

26. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Ya, you said it right...

Posted using the Full Custom MUNDSTER app!

27. gump

gump

I'm so honored to be a part of this past event! It was the best single weekend if.my life (except for.my kids birth and my wedding) hope I can get to do it again

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Random bump to the top

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. I can’t hardly imagine why

30. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Still a great read a few years later....