Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC mount confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitard, Oct 9, 2014.

1. guitard

guitard

I've got an early '80s GM front end under a '48 Plymouth - is there anywhere in the universe I can order a full set of SBC mounts including the frame bumps? Everywhere I look or ask only has the top (engine) half of what I need. I can't waste any more time on this and I know it's me - I should be able to find Chevy stuff everywhere, right?

So be my hero - pretend it's you - starting with no lower or upper mounts, what do I order from where (or do I just get the solid set from Jeg's and say f%&kit?)? I'm just bewildered. This should be the simplest thing in the world. Thanks in advance!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Some time in the early-mid 70s, Chevy changed how the motor mounts work. The early design has a "hump" part bolted to the frame, and a metal/rubber mount bolted to the engine. The later design has a big clam shell shaped bracket on the engine, and the rubber/metal mount bolts to the frame.

this is the part that bolts to the engine, on the later design which was used in the 80s. Normally we just grab a pair of used ones from our scrap pile, but you can buy them new if you want

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-engine-mount-bracket-1972-1981.html

the same company also sells the early style brackets, if you prefer them. There are different heights, and different thickness mounts, so you want to match the halves, so they work together (no matter which style you decide to use)

3. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

4. guitard

guitard

Thank you Squirrel - the fog is starting to clear. Not having much Chevy history, I have no such scrap pile unfortunately. It's a G-body frame. I was told to just get Monte mounts but I still can't find a whole kit/set of uppers & lowers from one place so I can be SURE I've got the right match. I've searched. Those lowers ("frame mounts"?) I can't find. Are they just not wear parts so nobody has them?

5. guitard

guitard

Gerry Moe, I looked there but all they show is an "insert" under "motor mount"... I need everything, both pieces, engine to frame. I might just not be looking correctly... but I think I am.

6. squirrel

squirrel

The G body should use the newer design, with the rubber mount (the part that wears out) on the frame, and the bracket (non wear item) on the engine.

Junkyards usually have this stuff too, but making sure what it's out of might difficult, unless you pull the parts out yourself, and that is usually a pain, since it involves lifting the engine.

I would suggest you just buy the new engine brakets for the 81 Camaro, and get new rubber mounts for an 81 camaro, and it should work fine. Then you need some long 7/16" bolts and nuts to put them together, after you get the parts bolted to the engine and the frame.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

First off...are you sure the engine will bolt to where it used to, on the subframe? The ones I did, I had to mount the engine back about 5-6 inches, from where it did on the Monte/Chevelle/Camaro. At this point, it is easier to use the earlier mounts (rubber on the block) say from a 69 Camaro...and fab up a stand to come off the chassis to bolt them to.
    The one I kept the later mounts, I had to extend the crossmember back a few inches with some 1/8" steel plate, and gussets to mount the engine as far back as I needed.

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My experience also , you'll most likely have to set the motor back some..I used stock mounts and bolted everything to block set in place , marked it on frame, was able to drill 2 holes in crossmember and welded a tab and gusset and drilled my other holes in tab and was a bolt on .....this is best accomplished with a friend.....