Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Chevy Coupe resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeafPowered, Jun 18, 2013.

1. zjerry

zjerry

I have a 1940 chevy 2dr sedan , a coupe would be nice..:)

Attached Files:

2. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

oops after checking around it looks like my right side spindle was replaced at one point with 41-54 spindle. It works fine but hmm…. redo spacer or replace spindle?? oy vey

3. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

not much to update yet but the new spacer for the right side will arrive shortly, so it will be time to decide on a wheel combo....

I'm thinking of Wheel Vintiques Artillery wheels 15x4 up front and 15x6 out back, painted in original royal blue color with 5.60 bias up front. 7.00 rear. It will be blackwall, no whitewalls here.

I am not sure about radials, anyone have good tire sizes to consider? Pics will help. Im trying to keep it traditional and circa pre-1970 era.

[​IMG]

the desired effect: [​IMG]

as for the body, it will remain ratty, i will go over the body with a liberal rub down with #0000 steel wool and hopefully it will retain some of its character. No patina but just something I can hop in and ride anywhere without worrying about the paint job.

4. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

Ok folks- wanted to update this thread with some development. I have assembled and mocked up the frame, put the body back on and stashed it in the storage for the moment. Just relocated to south California a month ago, hope to be burning midnight oil soon once all the dust has settled.

Good news is that I have located and secured a set of original running boards for the 40- whew a hens teeth it was! Next up I'm considering a bench seat in original style- may go aftermarket if can't find the originals.

For now the next item is drivetrain mainly a 350/700r4 combo...

Pictures will come soon

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

I forgot to mention- did some paint removal and found decent patina'd original royal blue paint. There was a skim coat of primer applied years ago before I got the car so I may try to do the whole car (graffiti remover with 0000 steel wool and clean damp cloth) it is a painstakingly laborious work but I can't imagine dropping 10k on a bodywork /paint in the near future.

Anyone have somewhat similar experience or example? Share away Id appreciate it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Really nice to see someone else is using the org ifs. I have a 40 sedan that is 2 back, inline to finish but I'm always anxious to read what others are doing. with these 1940's , got a lot of negative opinions on these knee action frt ends. It looks like you will have your coup together long before I get started. .............Been thinking about doing a quick driveline swap.(car is all original) 292 6cyl-200r4- ??rear. Just to get it up and going..... About the spindles where were they purchase because I was really wanting to stay with this knee action set up + disk brakes. But got so much neg off this site. I was really setback on whether I should go that route.

I have subscribed to this thread. And anxious to hear from a ACTUAL PERSON USING THIS SET UP.,, Not just bragging about their newly purchased Mll setup.

questions,
    1. Spindles where did you get them?.
    2. Running boards are they org. or repops?

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR PROJECT

[​IMG]

7. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

Hey to 2manyprojects... cool sedan my dad has a 46 sedan, very roomy in the back.

About the original front end, i believe they (GM) did enough investment in the R&D to come up with the design. It is just my personal preference not to run any Ford part on my Chevy. And the shocks are actually operated differently, you need to rebuild the lever shocks to probably optimize the ride. Also at that time there wasn't much option other than a Camaro clip. As far for the performance part, I will drive it as I drive a classic car, I won't be doing high speed turns or whatnot. It has been converted to discs, and steering has been upgraded (non power, tho).

At that time Butch's Rod Shop offered a complete upgrade kit that seemed to fit my criteria and I haven't yet to put it to test unfortunately. I got the spindles from Butch's Rod Shop now renamed to Butch's Cool Stuff. I believe they were manufactured by Fatman Fabrications.

Answering your another question- the running boards are original 1940 Chevy factory units, not a repro or aftermarket. It was pretty in a decent condition considering. I will be ordering the rubber mat covers for xmas hopefully I've been a good boy this year....

8. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Did you rebuild the shocks yourself. or did you have them rebuilt. I got a extra freshly rebuild pair for the front.

9. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

very cool. I havent rebuilt mine yet but I intend to when that time comes.

10. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

Quick update. Got a 350 from 70 el Camino- probably will overhaul it as its leaky. Otherwise it is running good. Scored a nice early Chevy valve covers to go with it. Am going for a vintage look- here are some fotos ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461771067.740331.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461771081.324023.jpg

Reason for the slow progress: we were so busy buying a house in Riverside and all that. It's a nice 1909 bungalow but had only 1 car garage. This will do for now! Focus is back on the Chevy and I hope to report more progress soon.

11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Glad you're back, Life happens....
    Keep us up to date on your project.

12. Just found this thread and I'll be watching, seeing as how your car is an older brother to my '41.

13. 19forty Coupe

19forty Coupe

I've been waiting to see progress on this. There aren't too many 40 coupes around. That SBC is going to look sweet nestled between the fenders. So just going to do gaskets and clean/paint it up since it runs well, or going to refresh it a bit?

14. 19forty Coupe

19forty Coupe

I've got a 40 coupe that I picked up in October. I wrestled with the idea of keeping the original IFS, but ended up going with a Chassis Engineering bolt-in MII. so far I have only removed the original suspension, which uncovered a hole in side of the frame on the driver's side at the hydraulic shock which I repaired. Then I came across another small hole on the bottom of the pass. side when removing the tranny cross-member diagonal. I'll be going 350/700R4 like you. Nice to see someone else with 40!

15. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

Yeah they aren't as many 40 Chevys as there are Fords... Sets us apart from the crowd I guess!

At first we will check how it is w the bearings and etc. I'm used to quick turnaround with VW engines but for this one id make sure everything is good to go before putting it in. If I do refresh it, will still remain a 350.

16. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

Wow that's crazy! I had my frame sandblasted and they are in great condition. Being from California its entire life probably helped... At the beginning I was totally against using one Ford part on my car and to this day it is still all Chevy! No big deal though, My dad has a 46 with MII too it's all good. Probably easier to find parts that way...

17. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Great progress on the '40. Frame and suspension look good. I got lucky and found a build from the '70s it has a 350/350, 10 bolt with a Corvair bolt in front end. and Black Lacquer paint/Brown/tan interior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DeafPowered and 41 coupe like this.
  18. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Rear View of Chevy 2012.jpg What about this one?

19. Just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your thread; and the history and enthusiasm for your '40 that you described. Best wishes on your project. I look forward to more updates.

If I may venture an opinion... I see '40 chev's at shows, and it seems to me it is one easy car to get 'wrong', based on color choice, modifications, wheels, interior, etc. They don't turn me on much as stockers, but the ones I do end up liking seem to be the tastefully hot-rodded ones. Garishly painted or dechromed ones get ugly fast, to my eye.

Whenever I see a '40 coupe like yours I remember the one I saw many times when I was growing up in a small town in North Dakota. The owner who kept his home & yard neat as a pin, had a navy blue one in very nice shape with one peculiar exception: The driver or passenger side (I forget which) had suffered lengthwise sheetmetal trauma. The deformed metal had been amateurishly repaired and brush painted almost the exact same color of navy blue - a real Jekyll & Hyde car. If you viewed the good side of the car you thought it a real cream puff, if on the bad side... it look like it had led a rough life.

Gotta56forme/Scott

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  20. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Does anyone know if the 40 dash is welded in or bolted in...Thanks
    SmokinBill that is a really nice Coupe, wonder what those front seats are out of...Nice!

21. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

It is bolted in. I took my dash out but you will have to take out the windshield guard
    /moulding from the inside first.

34toddster likes this.
  22. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

That's a nice ride. It has a decent look to it, and interesting front end choice! I'm sure the previous builder did not heed Ralph Nader's advice! Haha

23. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thanks

24. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

I have to agree with you. It has to be tastefully done to look right. I like them resto-rodded or done in period custom as in late 40's like some of the tastefully done lead sleds with skirts but at this point it is too much modification for me get in right now. Wheels are critical component of the overall look- even wrong offset or tire size combined w wrong stance can throw a well built car off.

In my case I'm trying to keep it "period correct" resto rod circa late 50s with upgrades hidden out of view. It won't be too high or too low but hope the rake will be just right. Still undecided on wheels but am not worried about that now.

25. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

26. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

Above pictures are of a nice 40 Chevy from Bello Kustoms- but the top has been chopped little too much in my opinion. I'd go easy on the chop for proportional aesthetics but that's just me.

27. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

Its been a while since I posted but a lot has happened, life happens.... I moved to East Tennessee last year and my 40 is still stuck in So Cal however it is in good hands at my friend's shop. I decided to let someone more capable in putting the chassis components together.

Updates:
    1. I had sourced a 700R4 a while ago not realizing it was a V case from a C4 vette, in which I had to source a specific tail housing to have it mounted properly but it is now in place. I also had the shop hook up the motor mounts, brake booster pedal and the steering components, I wanted it to be in one piece so I can trailer it for the long journey back to its new home with me here in East Tennessee.

2. Back when I was 13 or 14 years old I tore through the 40 excitedly- I took the body off the frame, sent the frame to get sandblasted and had them cut off the old K cross member but the someone there accidentally cut off one side of the body to frame mount. Years later I found out that, and thankfully my friend was able to replicate the one from other side and fabbed a mounting tab. That is one big item checked of my list.

3. I collected a few pieces, such as the accessory Fatman steering wheel and accessory windshield wiper dash knob piece. I also sourced the seat track frame for the bottom of the seat, but I am STILL in search for the original 40 coupe front seat. It is a one year only piece, that is the last missing link to what will complete my car aside for some more accessories. If you know someone that has it laying around let me know.

4. with the supply & demand crisis, it seemed that the bias ply tires I was going for is not available for a while so I may put off on the wheels until it then. It gives me pause to ponder what set up I should run, I am still unsure- as it will be the artillery or smoothies with 40 caps. it will have bias ply 5.60 front and 6.40 rears.

I hope to be posting more material in the near future. Here's some eye candy (photos) of some progress.

Attached Files:

LAROKE and 6inarow like this.
  28. DeafPowered

DeafPowered
    from Tennessee

Also for some of you who would appreciate the hot rodded oddities. I was distracted with this buggy project, but a one of a kind. Its a 1953 VW barndoor single cab truck that was cut up in early 60s (shortened wheelbase to 75") flipped steering to back (the seat has been moved back behind the front wheel instead on top of it). It appealed to me so much it looked like a vw kookie kar or a t bucket from the era. I am not going to start a thread on that here but wanted to share couple of pictures. It runs on pure old school 36hp power and some add ons such as Porsche 356 beehive rear taillights etc etc. This was done back in the day I am just refreshing it and trying to put it on the road.

It has its own instagram if you want to go follow that contraption: @barneybarndoorbuggy

Attached Files:

29. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Thanks for the update, very cool. Here is a pic of my '40 Chevy from my high school days, circa 1965...

pumpkin early.jpg pumpkin (2).jpg

LAROKE likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 311” GMC 6 in this one backed by a Richmond 4 speed and a 57 Pontiac rear. Set many Dry Lakes and Bonneville speed records in it’s time.

07B600EB-D7E2-4BB4-B246-F0D0271CE4AF.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Bob Lowry, juan motime and LAROKE like this.