Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel tank issues Falcon Rancheros & Wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_DropOut, Jun 7, 2013.

1. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Hey Falcon61Wagon.

Sorry for the delay.

After making the change to the fuel tank I got busy on body repairs and paint jobs on the Ranch. It has been a slow process. Due to this I have not had the Ranch on the road yet.

As soon as I do I'll let you know how it went.

2. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I wanted to modify my tank fill like Fuzzy Knight suggested on his '63 build.

Quote Fuzzy Knight:"I took the filler neck and cut it in the middle and turned it 180 degrees. I took the inspection panel inside the bed and cut the rear 1/3 off and put a hinge on it and a lock. I positioned the filler neck so it came out where I had opened up the inspection panel. Now it fills better and if it does leak it does not go on the paint. To save the gas cap I drilled a small hole in the chrome piece and countersunk it. I took a long, small, countersunk Phillips head screw and ran it through the hole as well as a piece of 2x4 and put a couple of nuts jambed together on the inside. If they want the cap they will have to take the quarter off.
    I doubt this info will help for a station wagon but for Rancheros owners it might."

3. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

I haven't had mine up and running yet but the issue with the fill neck is? To short? Modern nozzles don't fit all the way in?
    Thanks for your reply

Posted using my Big THUMB on a small screen!

4. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I doubt you'll ever fix that issue until you can replace your fill neck w/ a modern one.

My old Scout was even worse. It was just a fill cap & then a tube. It never had a way of holding the nozzle. When I re-worked my fuel tank in it, I used a Jeep Wrangler tank & filler neck. Using a modern neck upgraded my Scout and now MOST nozzles fit it and stay in.

Here in the state of Oregon we are not allows to fill our own tanks, but station attendants don't like my cars cause they have to baby sit them. I often fill my own tank because I know the nozzle is going to fall out.

After reading Fuzzy's comment on relocating the fill neck to inside the bed, I knew I would have to do the same. I just got done painting my Ranch and would get sick if my tank puked once again.

I have not had a chance to test the added vent so I'm still uncertain that it will work. Swapping fill neck locations is the next best thing.

Cheers!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Ever get that tank in there?

Posted using my Big THUMB on a small screen!

6. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

OK, so here is what I've come up with so far. I have no clue if this is effective or safe.

I went to the wrecking yard and pulled the filler neck from a 1986 Dodge Ram 50. It is all metal, has a modern style cap and I liked its shape. Also it is very close in outer DIA. as the Ranchero filler neck, so the rubber hose will clamp on nicely.

I had to cut the filler neck and spin it 180 degrees in order for it to fit properly.

[​IMG]

I'm not a pro welder, so I will be coating the inside of this filler neck w/ fuel tank sealer in hopes of sealing the neck properly.

[​IMG]

This is the final location, like Fuzzy's. I think this is a smart location for the neck. But I wont know how smart until I fill my tank for the first time.

[​IMG]

I used the original panel. I mocked up this and welded it together. Not what I had planned. I wanted this to all tuck inside the fender well, but that is not possible w/ this filler neck and set up.

I'm still in the process of finishing my paint job, so I dont know when I'll have a chance to comment on this progress. But I will.

More soon.

7. Heres what i did on my 62 cheero i was parting out a 5.o mustang for its t5 allso for the same car was my econo rodfalcon , i sectioned down the foxes fuel door and indent hinge and all that stuff and cut a square in my side panel welded here in and cut and used bits from both tubes to get the right angle and used the factory mustang cap i can hoon as hard as i possibly want and nothing will spill out well besides the leak in the seam that was allready there , im gunna build a wagon and thinking of a good way to combat this leaky design

8. Never finished it completely but only took me a couple hours and a hammer and dolly welder and a burrito

Attached Files:

9. Some bed liner and it would be gravy i thought about mounting it on the uppper inside but didnt like the idea of my cargo hitting it you can fill it farelly fast but not full bore its not that bad i mean its barable

10. Update with pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Third-Pedal & Fuzzy Knight!!! you guys did it up GOOD GOOD!! great work. Now that I'm looking at both of yours I can see that I should have removed a bit more meat from my fill neck. I like the idea of hiding it behind the panel. so much better.

How do you like filling the tank? Is it a dream or is it a hassle? I have not had time to take my ranch to the service station yet, so I personally dont even know how well this idea works.

Third Pedal, glad to hear that you Hoon in your ranch. Any killer videos of you on youtube??? ;}

Thanks for the pics fellas. I'm glad that I seem simular ideas already getting some track time.

More to come....

12. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Any updates on the venting solutions???

13. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Hello F61W.
    Its been quite some time since my last post.

UPDATE: The venting of the tank and the realignment of the fill neck have done the job. I dont get leaking burping fuel.

THE NEW ISSUE: I have to trickle fuel into my tank. If I shoot the fuel in, the tank cant take it, the fuel backs up in the filler neck and shuts off the nozzle. I've looked into this issue and there are several small things that I can do to make this work properly.
    1. To get fuel into the tank, air must be allowed to escape the tank. I added vents in the tank. But I dont think I'm venting enough air out to offset the input of fuel. So one of my vents will have to be much larger in dia.
    2. All vent lines must not allow fuel to pool. What this means is that you dont want to bend the vent line in a manner that creates a 'J' trap. The vent line must travel upward, to the height of the filler neck and then return downward. So in my case, my vent lines must travel horizontal from the center of the bed. Once the bent tube reaches the inner fender wells they need to turn upwards. I found that my vent lines were not horizontal. They were sloped downward somewhat. This downward slope, then upward clime allowed fuel to pool, similar to how the 'J' trap works under your sink. This pool of fuel basically stops the venting action. Pressure in the tank will have to build and then push this out.

So I will increase the diameter of one of my vents and see if this will allow me to fill my tank like a modern car.

To be honest, I dont like filling my tank from this position. It is cumbersom and sort of bends a guy in an uncomfortable way. Couple this with needing to trickle the fuel in and you've got a sore back.

But I'm getting closer...and have not been working to hard on it. I work on this when I have the spare time.

Thanks for reading.

Falcon61wagon likes this.
  14. Brewboy

Brewboy

Hey Dropout, any updates? I'm thinking about venting my '65 Ranchero tank also, and I'm looking for any & all ideas.

15. Rafae Block

Rafae Block

What is that fitting you're using for the vent?

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I forgot to post this:
    IMG_20170521_172956[1].jpg

17. Same problem with comets.

wtvz likes this.
  18. hepkat63

hepkat63
    from Australia

IMG_20180304_1826326.jpg Used a shut off from a late model car - welded in. [​IMG]

19. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Great ideas. Used to be some good "How to" Tech over on the TFFN, but Photobucket held the pictures hostage. I'm still running 1/3 tank in my 65 just to avoid this issue.

wtvz likes this.