Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sparkomatic shifter fit my '54 chevy?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ChicagoJoe, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe

Greetings fellow HAMBers,
    Looking to buy this old Sparkomatic shifter for a song. Wondering if anyone here knows if it'll fit up on a stock '54 Chevy 150? Looking to do a floor shift conversion. Thanks for any wisdom and knowledge you can provide! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I see rods and shift levers, but where is the bracket that will attach the floor shift to the tranny?

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You can buy virtually the same shifter NEW being marketed on E-Bay by several different vendors, under different names, for as little as $39.00! Mr. Gasket is one of the suppliers, but there are others. BUT, it's a cheap and poorly made shifter that would still most likely require some modification or at least making a mounting bracket (NCA has one to fit) for your application. The real kicker is National Chevrolet Association (NCA) sells it for ..................$164.00! Personally, I'd start with a used Hurst Synchro-Loc, make a mount, and go from there. You'll have a decent shifter that way, and everyone will want to know where you got it, since they no longer make them for the 49-54 Chevrolets. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I agree with the guys on here who suggest that you should get the best shifter you can buy, like a Hurst. If you like the handle on that shifter that much, buy it, and cut the Hurst off below the boot and weld that one on.

loudbang likes this.

5. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I'll look into the Hurst Synchro-Loc first. Ideally I'd like something that'll bolt up without too much finagling. 56sedan I know what you mean about that NCA shifter. Reading stories on here how it's not really a "direct fit" as they say. For $164.00 it better come with a hooker...

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Cheap shifters are more trouble than they're worth. Sparkomatic is/was a cheap shifter.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. ta2d_White_trash

ta2d_White_trash
    from Conway, Sc

I just installed a Mr gasket shifter on the floor.... Terrible install had to cut and weld brackets, modify the shifter and still its unreliable at best.... I just put in in as a temp because i converting to auto, but these are not worth the box they come in!

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Exactly ^^^ there's a "brand new" mr gasket shifter in the 64 Chevy I just bought. It's a big ol peice of shit. The PO bought it cheap after someone returned it to the parts store. That should have been a sign, but he bought it anyways.

9. _justakid_

_justakid_

I'm looking for a floor shift conversion for my 55 Chevy first series pick up as well, and I noticed that the NCA shifters aren't being made anymore, and I would much rather just cough up the 170 than have to struggle using a cheap one. Anyone know where I can get a good quality 3 speed floor shift conversion shifter?

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

11. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe

57Joe, you said it. I'll save my money and wait for a decent Syncro-Loc to show up.

12. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe

I also inquired about the NCA shifters a while back. Got an email from NCA last week. They said they are in the process of ordering more parts to make the shifter kits. Could be as long as 6-8 months though.

13. belair

belair

I hadn't thought of Sparkomatic since 1975. They were junk. Traditional junk.

Krusty222 likes this.
  14. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe

Just spotted this one, but I'm not finding any part # references for this on google search. I'd just hate to hack it all up to make it fit. It's a little roached but cheap. I can't nail down any straight up bolt ins for the 54!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412797789.423884.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412797799.474110.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412797810.073463.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412797817.957570.jpg

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I had a Mr. Gasket shifter in my '57 years ago when I first bought it and it had a 272/3 speed in it still. The Mr. Gasket/Spectre brand is probably on par with the Sparkomatic setup. It never worked particularly well, and there was always an element of searching for the next gear. I remember one night I banged second gear a little too hard and it literally broke off in my hand. I threw the shifter handle in the backseat and drove home in second gear. I stuck a Hurst Indy shifter in there, which was a step up in quality from the Mr. Gasket, but still inferior to Hurst's Mastershift or Competition shifter. Even the Indy shifter was a significant improvement, and worked nicely through the time when the engine gave it up and the entire drivetrain was swapped for something else. There are certain areas to cut corners on your build. This isn't one of them.

Krusty222 likes this.
  16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My memory is that "sparkomatic" was a synonym for cheap shit. We made fun of the brand.

17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AKA: Fartomatic!

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers, extremely cheap. I paid 18.00 for the one I put in my 51 Mercury in 1963 and the damned thing got hung up between gears from day one. They were sloppy then and I'd think no better now.
    There was an instruction sheet in the box telling you how and where to bend the rods to fit different applications on the one I had.
    Even a half worn out used Hurst shifter would be better than one of those things. Come to think of it, I ran a half worn out Hurst shifter on the 3 speed in my 48 for 20 years and just pulled it out and took it apart and cleaned and lubed it and went again.

19. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe

I'm not very savvy when it comes to these shifters. I've seen alot of information here on the HAMB, and it looks like I'll need a Hurst 4954? My next question is: I see these on the Bay - the part numbers I see don't jive but they all look the dam same. Here's one I'm looking at. But I just sit here and wonder...will it fit? HurstOrg.JPG
    HurstOrg2.JPG HurstOrg3.JPG

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It looks more like it was for a Tri-Five, but you should be able to modify it to work. You mount the arms to the trans so they are facing "UP", and have to file a groove in the shaft for the bolt to clear. You may also have to move the shifter "tower" forward or backward. Use a 1/4 inch drill bit through the shifter tower levers to set the neutral slot and adjust the rods to fit the transmission arms. You may have to drill a large hole for the speedometer cable to pass through the shifter adapter plate. At least the "floorboard hump" is removable to make the job easier. It may take a little work, but you should be able to adapt that shifter fairly easily, if not even having it just bolt right in. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.