Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Race Of Gentlemen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 8, 2014.

1. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I was there...what a great event! Unbelievable display of cars & bikes across from the Starlux Friday evening!
    Thanks for posting the pic's...I took a few, but spent most of the time checking the cars and watching the race.

2. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

can't wait for next year!

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  3. So should we expect that you're going next year?

Mel's the epitome of 1930's to 1940's nostalgia and traditional Hotrods!

4. The smells are ok....but it's the sounds that are killer....come for the sounds HRP!

5. Killer photos and wow what an event....definitely on the must attend someday list

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. I'm there next fall, awesome editorial @Ryan!

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Yes. The sounds....
    Being that I rolled into town about 1:45a.m Saturday morning there wasn't much to hear at all. In fact I was probably the loudest being jacked up on energy drinks and candy bars... I met up with my roomies and passed out from a sugar crash moments later...
    I was awoken in a matter that could only be described as confusingly surreal. A sound I knew but where was I?
    An uncorked flathead right below the room fired off and I sat up straight...mostly thinking someone was stealing my roadster 400 miles away!!
    I was where I needed to be. And all was right.
    Moments later...bangers started snapping and popping, a few more v8s, then the early motorcycles, ratcheting, popping once, ratcheting then roaring...
    It was time.

One of the best sounds of the weekend was BarnfindT's first run. We were working in the pits and everyone stopped for a split second or two and asked aloud "what the f was that?" Guesses were abound but when we found out what it was we were all sure to get to the front row for his next pass!
    The sounds heard also led me to track down hollywqqds roadster that we bump started that morning. As soon as it fired a shit eating grin on my face indicated the wow factor.

As for all the other good stuff it's already been stated, not enough time to say hi to all but I wish I could have. It was once again a life altering, inspiring, epic event.

I also won't talk about the sounds a raccoon makes when it hits your good friends' car, that they let you borrow, just to make sure you get your ass to n.j....

Thank you.

8. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Meldon Stultz = genius.

wingnutz likes this.
  9. Nicely written and with excellent photo illustrations. I'm hoping to make it next year.

10. autobilly

autobilly

"...passion for design and all things old..."- @Ryan
    By Jove he's got it! For many/most, it's not about fancy dress and role-play, but living a vintage idea of a beautiful life.

11. Ryan, This 74 yr. old has read many writers of all sorts, been lucky enough to have more great experiences than any one person deserves. Nothing much really impresses me and would not walk across a street to see a celebrity, that all said that was the most riveting description of an event I have ever read and I doubt even you could duplicate it, but don't stop trying, Thanks

chryslerfan55 and wingnutz like this.
  12. I have to go next year!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. das858

das858

Well thats just great, another killer event that I 've got to see. What is the cut off year for cars and engines?

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW looks like a blast . The wagon wheel ring for a roll bar , 2 wheeled bare footed hoodlums and vintage speed powered vintage iron a recipe for FUN.

15. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

like I said in the oilers thread: I got to race other Flat Head Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yes I'm going again.

16. seatex

seatex

I'm speechless. I'm floored. Thank you for not cutting one damn photo. Amazing, amazing stuff.......................my favorite event coverage of all time (and it's not even in Texas).
    Please consider a hardbound or softbound photobook of this thread....................I'll be the first in line.
    Hat's off to Ryan, Tim and Miller for taking us all along. I could almost smell the salt from the surf!

17. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I think we can all agree that Ryan has captured the essence of this great event in words and Tim has captured it in his photos. Beautiful job by both of you!

Ryan, I didn't realize we were at the same hotel as I would've liked to meet you and thank you in person for this great forum that we all love very much! Keep up the great work !
    I was a spectator at the first two TROG's and thought they were both amazing,but It was nothing compared to being involved!
    Mel and the Oilers had a vision and I think they nailed it!
    See you all at the beach next year!

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

Incredible pictures, incredible event. Reading this really makes me want to come and run my T which I'm pretty sure would make criteria. Very glad to hear so many get turned away, being strict is what makes it great. I have a feeling this could get massively big in a few short years.

19. WOW.....don't know what to add....just what a cool event

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

pics are excellent...video would be better...glad you had some 'miller time'

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What a total knockout. The writing and the photos work together to create a harmonious balance that brings the Race of Gentleman to life. I read the NY Times article, just to see how it stacked up. Needless to say, I've come back to this one for a second and third read. There's movement, color and grit blended with a hint of elegance in each exposure and each line reads like conversation. Thanks for telling it like it is @Ryan ... Now I'm really tempted to head out there next year.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. I don't know how....but....Count me in.

I really would like to drive the truck out seeing the sites as I go....that would be an adventure in its self.

But...

I just don't think the truck really fits as a race car at TROG.

I'm actually gathering parts right now for an aluminum body single seat racecar. we'll see. We should talk. I still think someone should do a west coast version....maybe a hill climb?...We have lots of nice hills and long wide beaches that you wouldn't have to worry about the tide at.

24. I've seen videos on Facebook.

25. Elrod

Elrod

Here is my run against a V8 in my 4 banger roadster I put together in 7 days with junk from around the garage the week before the event. Nostalgic Sid hauled it out for me.

26. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Yes, it was really something very special - so good that I'm not sure I can go back, it was that perfect.

Something strangely calm about a deserted seaside town.

Ryan's report says it all; attention to detail was intense, right down to '30s style racing jerseys with your number on the back.

I made at least 25 runs in the roadster.

There are loads of photos on the internet but here are a few of my favourites...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe I'll say a bit more when my head's stopped spinning.

Regards

"Jon' from England".

chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  27. Elrod

Elrod

Good meeting you in the refreshments line John. Glad you made it out and had a good time! What do you mean you are scared to come back? Life only gets sweeter my friend!
    Cheers!

28. Agreed and I do believe it specifically NEEDS to happen in Oregon or Washington! I know in Oregon there are a few beaches where you can currently drive on the beach (Lincoln City, Gerhart, and Pacifiic City that I know of). But to take it to the next step of being approved and then planning an event like this, I would have no clue. I'm still baffled how Mel and the Oilers accomplished this in New Jersey.

29. When I said "someone". I was meaning The Oilers should do it.....I'd like to try to do it myself, but I don't want to step on The Oilers toes, rip them off, copy them in any way.

Honestly @RainierHooker and I have tossed the idea around. I even tried to scout a location recently he found on a map, But I don't think it's gonna work out on that one.

I honestly would love to make something like this happen. I've been on and off again brainstorming about something like this for awhile now (invite only car show in historic back drop) the racing is a whole nother element I would love to include.

I just don't know if doing something so similar would be seen as "copied" or "inspired by"

Our area certainly has the potential to provide great scenery and has a lot of very traditional cars to draw from.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  30. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great article and fantastic pics. I think its great that they go to so much trouble to make sure this event is as authentic as possible. Some of these pics look so old, someone is going to find them in a few years and post them to the "Vintage Shots Of Days Gone Bye"thread :). This event is definatley on my bucket list. Thanks for the well writen article and posting the pics Ryan. Hats off to the Oilers for putting on such a killer event.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014