Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP! Early Ford Friendly Machine shop in DFW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Hay, Oct 8, 2014.

1. In Vern Tardel's book on building a traditional Hot Rod, it says that it's helpful to have an "early Ford friendly" machine shop in your area. To date, I have not found one.

My wheel bearing races on my 40 Banjo rear are galled. I've been able to contact machine shops out of state (Hot Rod Works) and others who can do it. Before I ship heavy bells off I'd like to make sure I can't get them done locally.

So, Texas guys: Who can machine these races down and press on sleeves?? They will need to have a big lathe with a big swing and deep bed due to the spring perches. I called Don Ross, and his big lathe is broken. Other shops in the area either can't do it, or won't return my call.

The other option is looking for another rear end. The problem is that the ones I've found have messed up races too. I placed a want ad for axle bells as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. I'm not in Texas but in my neck of the woods we are fortunate to have a NAPA store that has a machine shop in the basement and a old pro that has been there forever. HRP

3. Texas has only been my home for a couple of years, so I don't know very many people that do this kind of work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Hmm.. I wonder if Bob Wilson can help you out. He's in Dallas.

5. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Cant remember the name but theres an old machine shop in north side right off business 287 by all the used tire shops, they sandblasted some hood hinges for my dads 62 impala once, i think its been there for a long time. Never used them other than that though. Its south of 820 but north of 28th st, in that area.

6. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I have a complete '40 rear end out of my '40 coupe that I would sell.
    I believe the bearing surfaces on mine are good. I can check it out.
    I'm in McKinney,TX. about 20 mi. north of Dallas. PM me if you're interested.

7. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Dan, try Wes' Automotive Machine Shop, Pete's Machine, or H&H Machine... all Hoodlum City.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Look for more rear ends. You can buy ten for the cost of the machine work.

9. Thanks for the recommendations. @alchemy, you're probably right, I'm just impatient. I wanna drive this thing soon.

10. @blackrat40 PM sent