Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Breathers? Are they Really needed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sundown Kid, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Hello guys,

So recently when driving my T I've noticed a oil leak coming from under the breather on my valve covers. Its leaking underneath where they attach to the valve cover. So I began to wonder, do I really need the breathers? Could i just buy new valve covers and not run them? The motor is a 68 camaro z28 block, with roller rockers and a cam. Also, does anyone know what kind of breathers these are? I have not been able to find them on any websites. All info is appreciated! Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. I just spent some time with a car that had hoses from the valve covers into a boxed frame. No breathers and no PCV valve. I didnt notice any ill effects and it was clean and well hidden. I took notes :)

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you did put a gasket between the breather and the valve cover...didn't you?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Since you have the oil fill cap with breather in the manifold, no you don't really NEED then in the valve covers, unless you regularly twist it over 7,000 RPM

5. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Sweet Thanks! The car is just driven around on weekends to morning breakfast and such!

Sounds trick! Thanks!

Lol yes there is a gasket. The motor was in the car already when I got it.