Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Pontiac factory fuel injection????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Saw one on a black Bonne convert once with original paint, very cool.

If those are the correct parts, that's a steal. Money maker or super rad hot rod motor!

2. Ice man

Ice man

I knew a fella back in the Burg who had a new factory FI 58 Pony and it was so much trouble that he had a complete set up in the trunk in parts so he could keep it running all the time. The pony dealer got him the parts and training, and he had many side of the road fix ups. The early electronics were not what we are used to today. If you are an engineer or extremely good with the stuff, you can modify most of the problem areas but its gona be a trip. Iceman

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

if it was a 57 it could be my uncles demonstrator. Someone said that they never made a black 57 Bonneville but he is incorrect. My uncles was triple black. My dad almost bought it when the 58s came out but my mom did not want a convertible.:( My aunts car was an adobe beige and bronze 56 Safari. I could get into one of those also.:D

4. 24riverview

24riverview

Something I saw many moons ago...

Attached Files:

5. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

I am sure it being a early FI system, these parts will only get rarer and hard to find.

6. pontman

pontman

I just put the word out on Pontiac forum. My guess is it will now go fast. Very rare setup for Pontiacs.

7. davidh73750

davidh73750

Yes I called back 9am tues to set up a time this afternoon to go look and it sold for $5K
    I told the owner good for you.

8. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Wow! $2000 over asking price? I definitely did not need it that bad

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. davidh73750

davidh73750

$3k could've bought it yesterday in cash

10. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

I believe the Pontiac unit was a version of the Bendix Electrojector fuel injection design with a fabricated steel manifold.
    Don

11. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

I wonder what kind of fuel pressure what being used at the injectors

Keep it vintage....

12. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Anyone?

Keep it vintage....

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pressure at injectors probably the same as Rochester units on chevys--the fuel meter looks very similar. It is mechanically driven from the dist as is my 57 Rochester unit is but don't know the pressure at the nozzels.

14. Probably will be on eBay soon for even more.

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it was rarely the" original owner" who was unhappy with a fuelie car, as the factory service support was first rate---they sent techs to the dealerships often working at night to ensure excellent performance , but downstream owners were on their own---changing the air filter was the first bad move---when they were right they flew...

16. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

This was a mechanical injection like the Chevy Rochester, not the Bendix.

17. 64sshemi

64sshemi
    from weare n.h.

The Electrojection system was offered on the 1958 Chrysler 300 E.
    I'm quite sure the following year Chrysler recalled them and installed the two four barrel carb setup.

18. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I am relatively sure that the FI 57 Poncho was only available in the Bonneville convertibles and only in white / red. I have seen several 58's mostly Bonneville 2dr's all most all that I remember were aqua blue and white. They all had fender badges.

19. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

From what I know....FI was on all Bonnevilles (~630)......and only on Bonnevilles. There were a few that were not red / white.

20. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes FI was the standard engine and only available on the 630 Bonneville's produced in 1957. In 1958 FI was optional on all including the Bonneville. No telling how many were factory equipped.

21. 32Ron

32Ron
    from NY

This is a pic of a 57 Pontiac FI. Built the car 14 years ago. Still have most parts to restore another but won't. I have a 58 pretty complete FI including distributor etc. Anyone have an idea of its value. It is nice and clean!

22. At least $5,000 per previous post int he thread.

23. 32Ron

32Ron
    from NY

That is a pic of a 57 Pontiac FI not 58. I built a 57 14 years ago. Still have most parts to restore another but won't. I have a 58 pretty complete FI including distributor etc. Anyone have an idea of its value. It is nice and clean!
    Thank!

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Missed one last year at the Auburn swap meet for $500-had the dist as well. As I have had a 57 FI Chevy since 77 I know the hassle they can be but thought it would be cool to have for that price-but don't want 2 Rochester equipped cars and parts needed are scarce I'm sure. By the way, mine runs very well.

25. Special Ed

Special Ed

We had a '57 in our shop for restoration awhile ago, and I had to do a little research on 'em. Yes, there were only 630 1957 Pontiac Bonneville convertibles built (ALL with FI), one and ONLY ONE FOR EACH and every Pontiac Dealer. They only came in blue/white or red/white, and were supposed to be shown in their showrooms to draw customers in. BUT there were some exceptions! The one we had in was originally painted gold! Supposedly a Pontiac bigwig snagged one off of the line for his wife, and it was the only gold one ever built. Tommy mentioned his uncle had scored a black one too, so there must have been a small handful that were "one-offs" ....

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

old thread but, still very interesting - saw one on a fully restored '57 Bonneville Convertible - on the Velocity Channel -What's My Car Worth - today - owner was looking for $200K

27. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Worked as a gopher at O'Meara (later Ocean) Pontiac in Beverly Mass in 1960-61. Word was there were a dozen 1957 Bonneville converts w/factory FI somewhere in upstate New England that GM has NOT sold due to the inherent problems with the unit. Don't ever recall we serviced any FI cars. Pontiacs were performance oriented starting in 57 and believe the FI was in fact available on any '58 model. By 1959 the tri-power was available and often seen.

28. T-Faust

T-Faust

I saw a '58 Bonneville convertible a week, or three, ago. It had fuel injection. It was in a restoration shop for the finishing touches. I talked about it, but didn't try to put my hands on it.

29. Garage No.7

Garage No.7

I know the FI system didn't work very well and most were discarded and replaced with carbs. In '57 only about 650 Bonneville's were built with FI and finding one today with it's original FI unit is rare! Going price depending on restoration $180,000 to $240,000. A lot of $$$ for an old Pontiac. That was 315 HP motor with a top end of 135.

30. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

What he said. As I remember they were not too great and hard to keep running smooth. I remember when they were new( keep in mind I was only 6 or 7 bur still a car nut) my dad knew two brothers that had 58 Pontiacs, one with FI and the other with tri-power. He said the tri-power car could beat the fuel injected car every time, and the brothers raced ALOT. A tri-power 58 Pontiac Chieftan is still on my wish list! Closest I have come so far is my 54 Olds 88 with a 58 370 Pontiac tri-power engine, still in progress, hope to have it on the road this summer.