Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need a little help with how much to offer for a project car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Heavy Metal, Oct 4, 2014.

1. skoh73

skoh73

Just read the thread- sweet car and a great deal. Be sure to join the 52-58 Ford Owner's Social Group (Mercs too). Tons of knowledge and great folks to boot!

2. Slopok

Slopok

You done good and the fact that he will get it runnin is a bonus. Congrats

3. Congratulations with your purchase,persistence has paid off and it sounds like you are ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

Please post photos of your build. HRP

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

5. legion

legion

Nice find... good luck with her

6. Heavy....kinda proud of you....plenty of time for what you have planned....hopefully it's rolling soon so the seller can take a ride....kudo's to the family guy that turned you on to it....don't for get him...

7. Hey guys, thanks for all of the help and suggestions on the purchase of this car. I appreciate all of the input and the congratulations!

I will start a build thread. Progress will be slow as I have completely blown my fun money budget for awhile. Hopefully my bonus is good this year so I have a few extra $$ to throw at it.

It will be a few days before I have her home, he still insists on getting it running and I have family in town for the next week or so. The car is about 70 miles from my house, so logistics are little bit of an issue. Need to round up a trailer, make sure the trailer wiring is up to the task on my old POS F350 and drag her home.

I will elaborate more when I start a build thread, but I do have a game plan to get her on the road for next spring.

8. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

Until you have the funds, soap and water is cheap. You can really familiarize yourself with your new ride by cleaning the heck out of it in the meantime.

9. Good for you HM, that 53 Merc will get you back into a nice old car and you have a new friend in the seller. Too bad he lives so far away 70 miles, it would be nice to have him over for some of the repair/rebuild projects. I bet he would actually like to see the progress made and it helps him feel even better to see the old car being cared for.

10. I loved this story, and a great ending sure helps. A great car to have, my buddy has a 54, 272, he's everywhere with it.

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yep,Clean it up and make it a driver/project, dont blow it apart and make a garage ornament out of it for years to come when you could be having fun driving and working on it.,do make sure its safe first tho. brakes etc.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    mammyjammer and Bubba1955 like this.
  12. CGkidd

CGkidd

Sounds like it is going to a good home. Keep the original owner up to speed with progress. Take lots of pictures of the work. Send them to him via your coworker.

mammyjammer likes this.
  13. Three weeks later, I am finally picking the car up Sunday! I can't wait! I have not been this excited about much of anything for quite awhile:cool:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    mammyjammer likes this.
  14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

More pics of the loading and the trip, Please.;)

15. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Sounds like you got one of the rare deals....a happy seller and a happy buyer.

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Congratulations, great to see it worked out to the benefit of both parties, a rare outcome. He won't be disappointed when he sees the finished car.

17. I'm happy:cool::) Picking her up at 10:00AM tomorrow. I will take a bunch of pics and share them.

18. CGkidd

CGkidd

Awesome. Can't wait for more pictures.

19. here's a hopin' all went well.
    -Pat

20. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

fingers crossed for you. Can't wait to see the photos when you get it home.

21. Well he crapped out on me again! I guess he is just not ready to sell it. I understand, but I'm still bummed out. He said he would get back with me later this week and discuss further. Unfortunately, I think it is time for me to give up on this one and start looking for another car. Now that I have put a bunch of thought into this Merc, I really want a car!

22. Don't give up on this guy....he's right on the edge of selling. It would be helpful if you could get all the $3K together and inform him you have his full asking price in cash. Yeah, you may have to borrow or even blow up the visa to get it.

23. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

WOW......... Good thinking...... Just walk away and find someting that is affordable for you. There out there you just have to be patient. Now please turn that merc on to someone else please!

24. It is not a money issue, we have that covered. He is just not ready to sell. I have asked him to let me know when he is. In the mean time, I'm going to look for another car. Found a 59' Olds I might check out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Between me and you and the "gate post"...I'd give it a month and go back. I'd never by a '59 Olds if my heart was set on the Merc. That Merc is a "KILLER" car dude. You'd better go the third or fourth mile. Tim

26. Slopok

Slopok

Did he get it running yet? If not maybe that's why he backed out. If he does get it goin it may not run as good as he thinks and you will have some leverage there. I would give it another shot before given up on it. Mercs are cool.

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well thats a piss fucker.
    Did you buddy up with the guy and offer to help get it running I do know time is hard to come up with.
    Not sure how the 59 Olds would stack up to the Merc but if is was a 55 Olds then maybe.

28. Here: Doesd this help? 53 merc.JPG

29. No, that does not help:confused: Just makes me want it more!

I'm not going to give up, trying not to get too excited about it only to be let down again. He did get it running and driving, I think that may be whey he is having second thoughts about it. Every time I spoke with him he had done more and more work on the car but still wanted to do something else. He obviously cares a lot for the car......sigh.

I'm going to stop by his place on the way home from work tomorrow. He said he would call me this week, but I'm going to make sure he knows I still want it. I will have cash in my pocket in case the mood strikes him to let it go.

Changing gears, I looked at the Olds yesterday. 59' 4dr HT. Cool car, not much money, but I'm not sure if this is really what I want. And it has been sitting since 1973, nowhere near driving. It is all there and very straight, has been a rodent motel for quite awhile, a hell of a lot more work than the Merc, and not quite as cool either.