Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pinstriping Novice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ArtMerc, Oct 7, 2014.

1. ArtMerc

ArtMerc

I am very new to pinstriping and am looking for some feedback on how I can improve my designs. I have been learning to pinstripe on my own for the last two months. I realize that with practice I will get a more consistent line weight and an better feel for the brush but I was wondering about any suggestions on composition. I am using one shot and a kafka scroll brush #3. I have been reading lots of the forums on this site and on yahoo's group pinstriperspage and there is lots of great stuff. What I am hoping for now is some specific critique on my work. Please let me know if you have any advice for me. I really appreciate your time. Thank you very much. IMG_0641.JPG

2. Brentphx

Brentphx

I can't draw a stick figure, so that looks great to me, I'd let that stay on my car!

As for feedback, the outer loop looks just a bit asymmetrical when compared to the left, or vice versa I suppose. Im on my phone so I can't keep flipping back to find other points, I'm quite sure you're your worst critic. Nice work though!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Buy John Hanukain's book on pinstriping , You can probably get it through Coast Airbrush on the web .

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

5. Kinky6

Kinky6

Art, no that you're this far along, you might try mixing in a different line weight. Like the guy said, I'm about at the stick man level, but I read a lot.

1, use your brush, take a small batch of 1 Shot and thin it, use a rag or glass palate to control your brush "charge", and experiment w/ a lighter line, or

2, get a second brush and trim it to where you only have a few (20-30, sneak up on it) strands, or get some suitable hair (horse?) and tie your own brush. The idea is to get a brush that still gives you a consistent flow or line, while also laying down a thinner line. This will help you get more variety in your designs. Good luck w/ it. K6

6. Practice....and not necessarily on designs...that will come later . Learn how to trim your brush, Practice making c's , s', nice straight lines of consistent thickness, get a piece of glass or something you can wipe off, a can of 1 shot, some mineral spirits, as for a brush's by a couple and get a feel for what works best for you. I like the Excalibur, seems to work best for me... But I also have several others that I also like depending on what I'm doing. Your off to a good start. Take time to practice and have fun....

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I think one of the Best Magazines for pinstrippers is Auto Art Magazine and you can check it at this link.

Your work is very nice. Learning how to mix your One Shot sign painters paint to the right consistency is one of the most important tricks to learn.
    There are a number of way's to do this with different products.

I will give you two very important things that I learned.

Each time you open a can of One Shot the air tends to create a skin over the paint so that each time you open the can you have to first remove this paint that has formed a skin which really wastes paint.

I have used a product for over 25 years called Paint Sav which had been manufactured by Sapphire Paints PO Box 4115 Bay Pines, Florida. 33504-4115 Just add a few drops in each can of One Shot and mix it up and your paint will never skin over again.

I have always laid my brushes flat in a plastic container and then make sure to fill it with mineral spirits so the brushes are completely covered. I have the same brushes today that I had 20 years ago and I simply remove them and dry them off and start stripping.

When you look at Auto Art Magazine keep in mind you are seeing some of the very best strippers in the world at work so simply try and learn from each one of them.

Best of luck Jimbo

8. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

ArtMerc...You have some great advice here from everyone. If you want to get some hands on experience I run classes with the great Glen Weisgerber at his shop in NJ. We have around 75 years experience between us. Otherwise your striping is looking good. Keep at it. Bill Bergen

9. IGOR

IGOR

Id try a striping brush. Not that ya couldnt use that scroller but theres a tool fer every job. I definitely would find it easier using a Mack 00 on a design like that than a scroller. After dat..........PRACTICE YER BUTT OFF! Definitely takes months and years to get the hang of that little brush. And as Bill said (custom_lettering), the classes him and Glen Weisgerber put on are EXCELLENT! You'll get a lot out of it and Glen is truly a legend in the paintin' world to boot. Super nice guy and great teacher.

10. Igor, Have you ever thought of teaching/hosting a class in "our" area?

11. IGOR

IGOR

No I dont think id be able to do it. I have a hard time already fitting in time to work on my car. Thatd make it impossible fer sure. Theres plenty other stripers that do it though.

12. Study the work of established artists.
    Look for stroke combinations, and proportions.
    http://mackbrush.com/Hall of Fame

13. ArtMerc

ArtMerc

Thank you. I will do that.

14. As you asked for suggestions,I would say this:
    If you are going to use multiple parallel lines in your designs the spacing and line thickness are absolutely critical.
    When you are bringing two lines together(such as the bottom of a loop)try to bring them together at a more shallow angle.They blend together much more easily and it minimizes line runover.If you do get runover(note the bottom loops in your design)use a cleanup tool to remove the excess.Mack makes a tool for this or you can use one of those roof shaped erasers that you attach to pencils.
    You really have to work on line consistency;that is probably the most important facet of any job(in my opinion anyway).After you achieve good line consistency the rest comes relatively easy.
    Your over design looks pretty well balanced and pleasing.Keep up the practice. I still practice every time I pick up a brush and I've been doing that since 1957.