Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How much is this 49 Ford worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leviathan125, Oct 6, 2014.

1. leviathan125

leviathan125

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and I'm new to these cars. I've always liked cars like this from when I saw the movie "Cobra" years ago, but my automotive knowledge lies with modern cars.
    I ran accross this 49 Ford locally parked in someones yard. I decided to stop and talk to the owner to see if he was interested in selling. Here is what I know.

It's a 49 Ford with a 5.0 302 from an 86 Mustang, it is carbureted however. It has a C4 transmission and it runs and drives. The top has been chopped 4 inches. It has disc brakes on the front (drums still in the back). The door handles have been shaved so it has keyless entry. It has electric locks and windows. It also his heat and A/C. It has the original seats.
    The body is straight, but it needs some work, sanding and a paint job. I found just a small amount of rust on the inner fender well. It needs quiet a bit of work, but it seems to be a solid foundation with the biggest obstacles out of the way.

I have no idea what these cars are worth. The guy said he would take $6,500.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

It's worth that easy...some white walls/caps and a paint job would totally change the look of the car. I'd chrome the grille and bumpers too :)

racingonerobb and Steve Ray like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd buy that (given what you say about rust is true) any day, and I already have too many projects. As an aside, I think that removing the "pseudo" vents in the rear windows during the chop removes an awkwardness that always bothered me with two door sedan shoeboxes.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

46-48 Olds grill as well, any suspension updates, MII, 9"?

5. You definitely want to pass that up.. where is it located? Looks like a good deal for $6500.

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Just "do it".

racingonerobb likes this.
  7. Damn....just the work done to it already, you're money ahead. Wonder what the history of that car is ? Looks like old work really. Nice.

8. You'd be stealing it!

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

worth that all day long

10. You couldn't build it yourself for that amount. I think you found a deal just going by your description and the photos.

11. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

U BETTER GRAB IT QUICK

12. belair

belair

13. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Lose those green wheels, though;)

14. leviathan125

leviathan125

Thanks for all of the replies and help, everyone! As ugly as the green wheels are, I'm sure they looked somewhat better back when you could still see the same color green in the flames. Well, I guess I can't say it looked better, just made more sense back then as to the way they don't go at all with the faded paint job now.
    I'm going to go back today or tomorrow and have a friend go with me to look it over with for me. I don't think it would cost much, just a little hard work, to get it where it would be presentable enough to drive around and enjoy (by no means perfect though). Later I can slowly focus on on getting everything else ironed out. I think it would be a fun, long term project car. I'll reply if I find anything else out about it or if I purchase it. Thanks again, everyone!

15. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

<<As ugly as the green wheels are, I'm sure they looked somewhat better back when you could still see the same color green in the flames.>>
    Yes, that does make more sense. Good luck, and have fun with it.:)

16. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Marion Cobretti drove a Merc......

17. First off, welcome to the HAMB.

I paid about $3,000 for our '49 about 5 years ago. It's an original car and after much work now runs like a champ. Flathead, overdrive, 2x2 and wide whites. Body is stock.

If you are going for a "custom" look with much of the work and expense already done - that car could be the one. Doesn't have to be prefect and the car has that "look". A little TLC and you could be ready for the road. Like said above, a chrome grill and bumpers would set it right. But please, that steering wheel has to go.....

I say drag it home!

18. leviathan125

leviathan125

Yes, I believe it was a 50 Mercury? I was just referring to that car because it is a style I like and this Ford is similar, at least it looks that way to me. lol . Like I said though, I am not familiar with these, so maybe the Ford and Mercury are worlds apart?
    So the grill is from a 46-48 Olds? Is that good or bad? He had told me the grill and I believe bumpers were from a different car, but I don't recall what car he said.

19. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Olds grill is good. That was a very common/period change for customs in the 50s ,clean-simple -stylish!

20. Do you own it yet?...what are you waiting for..that's a steal! HRP

21. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Pretty mild chop also, so the body filler on the roof might not be excessive.

22. chromeazone

chromeazone

Sorry, but I disagree about the steering wheel. That looks to be a classic CRAGAR wheel. I had one on my first '51 except it was red. That was in 1963. Keep the steering wheel. Rest of the car is reet !

23. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Bumpers look stock just flipped

24. Believe it is a Cragar or Cal Custom wheel.....as previously noted......definitely old enough to go with all the other period mods. I wanna' know what's under that damn black paint.......with the John Travolta Grease era flames. Probably something cool somewhere under there. Say 50's 60's build with black flat cover up, chrome and all sometime nearer to this decade or last. Right ? Shit man, lakes pipes, louvered hood, flipped bumpers, Olds grille, chopped top, tuck and roll upholstered trunk and cabin, frenched headlights, spots, and skirts.....what else could it be ??? Interesting as hell, for sure.

25. Slopok

Slopok

I'd buy it. Looks like all the bull work is done already. Paint job, chrome bumpers & grille would change that car dramatically. Way cool.

26. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I paid more for the car in the avatar than that, with a stock drivetrain, and a crap interior that I am throwing away. The interior bezels were AWOL, I ended up going through the brakes and replacing everything, put all new seals in the engine including new rod and main bearings (yeah, I should have rebuilt the whole thing). I ended up buying a parts car for the right seats and right now the dash is hanging in the garage waiting for the wife to pick a color (her car) so I can rewire it. That car looks like a "deal" to me. I'd rather have it than what I have now (although I like the original grille better)

27. You drag it home yet?

28. leviathan125

leviathan125

I took a friend with me yesterday to look it over . The owner was out of town and won't be back until Sunday, but his wife was there and let us look at it. He thought it was well worth it as well. I called the owner today and after a little talking, I will be buying it Sunday when he gets home for $6,000 (it has a clear title). Thank you all for all the help. I look forward to working on it and fixing it up, though it will be a pretty slow process. I look forward to reading the forums, learning, and hopefully providing updates as well!

40fordtudor, low budget and bobwop like this.
  29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Congrats!,
    Guys work a long time to get a car to that point,
    It actually looks pretty cool to me already but a paint job and a little rechroming would go a long way:cool:

30. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Cool score, take pics of the excursion!