Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Inline Ford Six Racing 144-250

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xrwagon, Oct 5, 2014.

1. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

Hi guys i am most interested in inline racing, i race a little 200 in my 1967 Falcon Wagon in Australia. What i am after is info on some old stuff, lets go back to May 1960, Hot Rod May 1960 has the 3 144 engines on the front, i’d like to know.

What happened to them? Is there a follow up article in another Hot Rod magazine, did they ever dyno the 2 engines they hadn’t done for the original story.

Secondly, what brand Rocker cover is on the engines, it has the Falcon script, is it a Holman Moody or Bill Stroppe. Obviously pre dates the Edelbrock ones.

Thirdly, i just missed out on buying one of those rocker covers, does anyone have one or an Edelbrock one.

Lastly feel free to post up any small Ford Six racing or modified engines, race engine’s

Aaron

2. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

4. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

Thanks mate, i brought the book a while ago, and i am a member over at Fordsix, the book doesn’t cover extremely modified engines, only mild stuff. The site is good, i am just out on a limb trying to find some period correct items.

5. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i just checked e-bay and there's a three-carb setup (offy) with carbs up for grabs.

6. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

thanks Dan , do you have a link, i can’t seem to find it

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have an Edelbrock valve cover, but it's not for sale. I believe the Falcon scripted valve covers were Edelbrock as well, because I do know that I have seen an ad from '60 that showed them scripted that way. Not sure why they changed to the standard Edelbrock logo or when. I have been looking for an Edelbrock scripted three carb unit forever! Funny thing, they didn't seem to make those that long either.

Now, as for A quick surmise as to why the valve cover scripting changed... In one of the articles from '60-'61 (there was another article in March of '60) that talks a bit about prototyping for possible factory high performance Falcons. It covered Stroppe Racing, Edelbrock, and Holman Moody but never made it clear who was going to get the contract. Could that have been part of Edelbrock's entry into the deal? Not sure, but it sounds plausible.

Of the three engines shown on that cover, the one that has the injectors went into a Bill Burke Streamliner that ran in the 180s at Bonneville. The three carb engine that is painted yellow is the one I have always wanted to know more about with it's triple carb head AND the Paxton super charger...

8. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

The falcon scripted ones are on the 3 144 engines on the front cover of Hot Rod May 1960, they also have the Stroppe triple carb conversion, i think both of these pre dates Edelbrock rocker and triple set, but i’d be happy with either one lol. There is a Edelbrock rocker cover in Australia for sale, its only good condition, he’s wants $695 for it. I missed a new old stock one for 200 bucks, i missed the Falcon scripted one for $190, have to be right place right time.

9. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

I have it that they made less than 800 Edelbrock covers

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i googled e bay ford 6 cylinder carb. good luck further investigation shows that the offenhauser catalog still lists 3-carb manifolds for those engines--part numbers 5970, 5017 and 5205, apparently depends on the engine.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

This is the earlier, less known Falcon Hop Up article that Hot Rod did in March of '60 scan0002.jpg

Sorry for the teaser, my internet is making loading this impossible for right now. I promise I'll dig this up in the morning and post the balance... scan0003.jpg scan0004.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  14. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

The Holman Moody Falcon was on Fleabay last week for $32,995, great little car

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not sure why this is being such a bitch to load, but I'm still on it!

xrwagon likes this.
  16. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

Hi al any more info out there. I am interested in getting some period pieces for my old jalopy. An Edelbrock Rocker Cover or the Falcon scripted alloy rocker cover. I also have a Facebook group i run called Hot Inline Sixes and Vintage, for all things inline six racing etc.
    AZZA

17. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

Just updating my tread guys. I have done a 2V Head conversion on my wagon, i am still looking for Ford six vintage parts, if anyone knows of anything, e.g. rocker covers, six cylinder magnetos, mechanical injection, anything ford six of a vintage or historical nature. Please message me.

18. wjd

wjd
    from bc canada

FWIW, I remember Ak Miller did a column for HRM back in the day, which was actually a Ford ad, but interesting. He did a few on Ford 6s, both small and large. I dug around a year or so ago on the `net but found nothing. Looking for old HRMs from the 60s might turn up some interesting stuff.

Ak adapted Benz Bosch mechanical fuel injection to a 300 6, filled with SBC internals, among other stuff.

19. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This
    http://www.classicinlines.com/HA1.asp