Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Door logo/Lettering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThompsonSpeed, Oct 7, 2014.

1. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

So I put my logo and info on the door of the old girl. Rolling advertisement. Im impressed with the way they aged the logo/letters to appear old, i requested it to be that way, and i think they did a pretty decent job for vinyl graphics. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. well , since you asked for opinions....while they may have done a nice job , to me the graphic design doesn't appear old. too new of a look

or i could be all wrong...i'm not very good at anything artistic , i can barely write my own name so you can read it

3. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

I did ask for opinions. Thank you. I guess the pictures dont really show the age, they appear glossy in the pics, but dont appear that way looking at them. No doubt it would look better painted on, then "aged" or lightly sanded. But this was the cheaper route. :)

4. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Nice truck, house and barn.
    Lose the oval and have Thompson speed in a dull gold with black outline.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think it looks good with the shiny paint on the truck the aged brushed painted sine would look out of place.JMO

6. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

That would look pretty good. Im going to redo the truck eventually. So this is a temp solution. The colors have to stay, at least the green and orange. If the truck was black, it would look pretty good i think. I wont go with vinyl when i redo it. Ill take the time to paint and age them then.

7. If you like it that's all that matters,having grown up around sign painters all my life I can appreciate the true talent that comes with years of practice.

I remember when vinyl signs started showing up and a local old sign man painted on the side of his sedan delivery, "It takes talent to hand letter a sign but anyone can use a graph machine"

Roy was a old school sign painter and that's all he ever did. HRP

8. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Thanks HOTRODPRIMER. I do like it, no doubt i would like it better painted on. But for a graphic machine and a temp solution, i think it turned out ok. And i wanted to get it on there now to advertise, who knows when ill actually get around to redoing it correctly. haha. Too many other projects to make money on, personal stuff will have to wait.

9. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

I think the painters did a great job but you can add me to the list of the logo for some reason just doesn't match the truck, the oval and the swirls seem too modern or something. Truck is awesome, logo is great they just don't go together well for some reason.

10. 1oldracer

1oldracer

You asked so, vinyl lettering is NOT in any way traditional and should be done on anything that is on this forum!!! Get it hand lettered or don't put anything on it!!!

11. squirrel

squirrel

I guess "old" is relative...if you were looking for "a few years old" then you nailed it. If you were looking for "sixty years old" then you probably ought to start over.

12. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

1oldracer. Didnt ask if it was traditional. I asked thoughts, i appreciate your opinion, really do. But if you read the posts, its a temp solution. I know it would look better hand painted. This was a cheap and practical solution for now.

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Old westhered letting wouldn't look right on your truck, I think it came out nice,, although I like hand lettering better, Tim Jones

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

This was done on the decklid of my roadster by a sign guy who did the top in vinyl, copying a t-shirt, and the bottom line freehand.Saved me a few hundred bucks and gets the point across ; I put the machine shop logo on to thank the machine shop owner for all his help. I like to help people who help me,and screw people who practice that behavior; keeps everything in balance, grasshopper. Good luck. Mike from Mass. (truck is gorgeous!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  15. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

In my opinion, the one glairing place that the logo is missing the mark is font. I think it would look a lot better and more coherent, were an 'old' font used. Think block letters and cursive as opposed to italics.

Graphically the design works, although I would have brightened-up the colors to more closely match the brightness of the truck. No need to age lettering on as good looking a shiny truck as you have there.

16. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Exactly -- the font brings it too close to the present. Overall concept is cool though.

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Being a lettering guy for the last 40 + years , personally , I'd rather do a style of letter rather than a font . Real lettering guys have a flow and feel that you can't get using a computer instead of a brush . As they say , the proper tool for the job .

18. Can't say it any better than that!