Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Race of Gentlemen, 3rd Annual.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Apr 15, 2014.

1. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

My camera battery was dead, so these are from the phone.

trog2.jpg

trog3.jpg trog4.jpg trog5.jpg trog6.jpg trog7.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  2. banjorear

banjorear

Mel, the Oilers, and everyone who participated, congrats on another great year of TROG. 2nd best event on the East Coast (still got to give my props to Hershey LOL!).

3. I don't know about the rest of you'se guys, but these pictures make me want to go out and find something to build so's I can compete next year. What a hoot!

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love them all !!!!!

Who built the #67 Coupe?
    Any interior or under hood pictures?

5. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Pics

Attached Files:

general gow likes this.
  6. ELD

ELD

7. seatex

seatex

WOW! Gotta put that one on the must do list! Thanks for all of the coverage, I'd love to see a thread
    on the flag girl! o_O

8. ELD

ELD

I've been rounding up oodles of photos and posting them on the Oilers Car Club Race of Gentlemen facebook page, I've asked people to dropbox thier photos to [email protected] then I can create an album for them and share.
    yes Sara the flag girl is a lens magnet. come on over and check em out, I quess I could post them here too but photobucket/flickr are cumbersome
    https://www.facebook.com/OilersCCRaceOfGentlemen

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  9. sagra

sagra

What a blast this weekend! Big thanks to the guys that ran this!! Great setting for it too....it felt nicely lawless down there. The rodders and custom guys seemed to rule the town. Yeah!! P1050099.jpg P1050102.jpg P1050264a.jpg P1050274a.jpg P1050312a.jpg P1050808b.jpg P1050938a.jpg P1060010a.jpg P1060094a.jpg P1060136a.jpg ROG10-3-14.jpg ROG10-5-14.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    AHotRod and general gow like this.
  10. sagra

sagra

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

So, I'm back from TROG and on the heels of my first good night's sleep in about a month. I'm still reeling from all the adventure I've had the last few months building this car and taking it to the races. TROG is mostly a grudge match heads-up event. Nobody there gives a hoot about brackets, or even winning and losing, really. It's mostly about accepting the challenge of building something that didn't exist before and bringing it to the beach to see what it'll do. Sure, it's fun to beat the guy you've lined up against, but it is only a part of the story.

If you pay attention, you'll see that TROG is really a love story. Mel and Bobby (@Dirtyest Devil and @Bobby Green) and the rest of The Oilers CC/MC go to Wildwood before us all, lay open the town with a huge welcome, prepare a feast, and envelop everyone with hugs as they enter. It's an event so intensely felt and brilliantly colored that it can only be motivated by love. Love for hot rods. Love for customs. Love for motorcycles. Love for all those who ply away in their lonely garages for a year leading up to it, for the love.

An awesome couple met and fell in love at TROG last year, and celebrated an anniversary at this one. Another rad couple got engaged at this year's event. My wife dug in deep and supported me all summer, hung out with me, spun some wrenches, gave me the free pass on late nights in the shop, and stood by my side all weekend. Kevin (@CrazyUncleHarry ) and I swapped off work on each other's cars, lent parts, spent long down-to-the-wire hours. His parents tagged along to watch their boy tear it up.

My Alter Boy brother @moose made some parts, rebuilt my carbs, wrenched on the car all weekend. Other Alter Boys pals @caddywhacked @gonzo @cball @flash and others banded together to make the trip in their hot rods, strength in numbers. @Slick Willy blasted down Friday night after a long week of work and brought his solid dudeness just to hang out and provide encouragement.

Truck loads of pals road tripped from the west coast with their cars in tow, sharing brutal, dude only confined spaces for days and days of travel. Colorado's Super Heroes Mike and Amy (@Barn Find T ) brought enough mountain love to go around for days. AJ-Ajay-pronounced-Aahj (@Speedy Canuck ) jumped in his daily and racked up the kilometers to see his like-minded American pals and make new ones.

These are only some of the stories of love that I witnessed from my perspective. I am sure that there are loads more. And, if you shift the focus from my lens to that of another, and another, the love stories go on and on. That's why TROG rules. It isn't the racing at all. It's the family.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Cris, sagra, gump and 11 others like this.
  12. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Well said kid! Truly an epic experience I will always hold dear.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. jcs64

jcs64

just dawned on me today while showing a coworker some pics, he asked about the wall of death?
    now im well aware that Sailor Jerry and I made a new friendship, but theres no way I missed the WALL ........did I?

jeff

14. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Where and when for next event?

15. No, you didn't.
    Don't know the official reason it wasn't there, but a couple of us were talking about it. Would be awesome to see, but those bikes can't go anywhere without picking up sand. Sandy tires on wood...might actually result in a death.

16. jcs64

jcs64

yeah, I never thought about the sand, that could have been a problem

17. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Mel said the logistics and timing made the Wall of Death not happen , His time was better spent on other race of gentlemen needs. oh and by the way great meeting all of you guys and seeing the rest of you that i already knew . i had a blast at
    TROG III !

18. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

David: were you there? I didn't see you.

B:)B

19. flash

flash

The 603 vs. the Sachem!

more pics and videos to come.

general gow and gonzo like this.
  20. Eric H

Eric H

This one of the coolest events in years. Nice work Oilers!

21. on my bucket list for next year. looks like an awesome time. pictures got my attention ..the video pushed me over the edge. Has me thinking new project..

22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Two of my favorite shots i found from the weekend.... what a blast it was out on the beach. Thank you Mel and the Oilers for an unforgettable once in a lifetime experience ....

Attached Files:

23. jakesimps1

jakesimps1

That was quite a drivers meeting on fri night...

24. So....when's the west coast version? We got a lot of nice beaches out here in Washington....not to mention a lot of nice hills to climb, if you want to give it a different flair...

25. flash

flash

Here are what I think were the 2 fastest competitors...of man what a sight and sound!

26. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

27. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Like I said in another post, it was like it was 1948, we were all 16 yrs old. A memory I will never forget. It was a 40hr round trip for me and well worth it. I can't decide weather or not to finish my 32 5w or build a different car to race next year.
    Thanks to Mel, Bobby , and the crew that put on this fantastic event.

28. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I finally got to race other flat head Fords!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. gump

gump

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  30. MrModelT

MrModelT

We are still on the road home.....so I don't have the ability to upload anything yet.....but I will.

I can tell you.....I had one hell of a good time! This was one for the Hot Rod History books. I won a few, lost a few...and learned a TON over all. My 3.63:1 axle gearing was a bit too tall for the beach and tended to bog down off the line....handing the advantage over to the 4:1 and 4.11:1 geared bangers. Once I got moving and hooked up....I had the power, torque and rpms to most likely have out-pulled a few more then I did. Sadly by that point...the race was over.

I have collected this "data" and will be applying it to improvements for next year.

I think My Ruckstell 2-speed is in order :D