Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kustoms at Kustoms by the Sea

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 'Mo, Oct 6, 2014.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

Wildwood was the perfect spot for an East Coast outdoor Custom Car show...laid back, off-season atmosphere, w...i..d..e beach (think Daytona), and the boardwalk seems to go on for miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With but two months to prepare, brothers Sondre and Olav Kvipt were able to organize a great show, and came all the way from OSLO (Norway) to personally man the event (without assistance, staff or otherwise.) We all owe them a great deal of thanks for their sacrifice, for this left them no time for the races (the original purpose of their visit).

[​IMG]

More importantly, Sondre puts perhaps 100 hours a week into the Kustomrama site, to document the vast and varied history of the traditional custom automobile (the cars, stories, people and places...all of it!) If you haven't checked out Kustomrama yet, it's time you do. (This link is just the tip of the iceburg! http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Main_Page)

One of the historic customs located and pursuaded to show was Maximillian King's '41 Merc. Originally customized in 1946, it receieved this make-over in 1959 by Korky's customs. Want to know more? Check out KUSTOMRAMA! (Hint: either enter Maximillian King on the "Search" function, OR hit "Content", and find your way to 1940 under "Mercurys".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another great car in the special area was the Kopper Kart clone. This incredible recreation is accurate right down to the rare side draft three carb manifold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the nicest cars at the even was HAMB'er Cody Walls' 1959 Chevy wagon. The level of craftsmanship and originality of this owner-built ride is simply amazing!
    Want to see more? You got it...check it out on KUSTOMRAMA! ( 'Cody Walls' under 'Search', or Chevrolet, 1959 in 'Content', as per earlier hint.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool, I was wanting to see pics of the show. Please post more pictures when you can....

'Mo likes this.
  3. 'Mo

'Mo

Another HAMB'ers car in attendance was the well known and traveled Bob K. Chevy.
    The changes to this car are extensive, but so tastefully done and well executed that, to the untrained eye, it might be mistaken for original.
    Among the many changes are: Pontiac upper body trim, flared front wheel wells, extended and flared skirts, extra grill teeth, Olds windshield, '49 license plate guards, beautifully frenched lights, etc., etc. The car is powered by a Chevy 6.
    While he did display at Kustoms by the Sea, I snapped these shots elsewhere, to show the beautiful working chopped convertible top. (Bob K. is partial to open air cruising.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The '36 three window stablemate was also drop dead gorgeous!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  4. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, straykatcustoms.
    Unfortunately, my camera quit on me, but I've got a few more to come!

(Torchie, I laid in wait for the "'Queen of the Vics", but they didn't show until near noon on Sunday, and I was not able get those interior shots for you.)

straykatkustoms likes this.

5. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Great pics, Anyone who got more pics please post. Wish I could have been there.

'Mo likes this.
  6. 'Mo

'Mo

HAMB'er BloodyKnuckles made good on his mad thrash to retro-rework his recently acquired Plymouth, and made the nine hour trip up to the show. His club, the Iron Lords, is a tight group, and were well represented.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, Mercman4life, I wish you could have been there too. Long live the Fonz!

And if anyone has pictures any pictures they wish to add, feel free to do so, by all means!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  8. 'Mo

'Mo

There was also a section reserved for some hot rods at the show.
    The deep channeling of this A coupe says "East Coast car" to me.

[​IMG]

A look inside the nicely appointed interior shows how this is possible... occupants are seated between the frame rails, on dropped flooring.

[​IMG]

9. 'Mo

'Mo

This '32 was another great rod at the show. The Olds hubcaps (or "Wheel Covers", for you revisionists), are perfect on this ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flames on this '40 remind me of the one that appeared on the cover of R&C, along with the iconic Bob McCoy sedan. These were state of the art in 1956!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    mikeyyeah, lothiandon1940 and OL 55 like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Nice job guys. I hope to be there next year.

12. Thanks for the shots. Would've liked to be there.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Really good job on the shots.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, guys.
    Keep in mind, this show took place amid the sights (and sounds!) of Vintage style racers, heading ten blocks up - beach to the starting line... A truly rare opportunity! All I can say is, "Get it while you can! "
    (And a big "Thanks!" to Wildwood, N.J., and ALL those who made it possible!)

15. 'Mo

'Mo

I just love fat fendered Kustoms, and they don't come much cooler than this green Ford.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

straykatkustoms likes this.
  16. 'Mo

'Mo

So, Olav. What do you think of our Eastern style crabcakes? Good, no?
    Good, Yes!

[​IMG]

KCsledz, jakespeed63 and spinner like this.
  17. Looks like a good show and a GREAT location, a really great location. Nothing goes with Customs like the beach. Just wondering if the old Ayala shop truck was a part of this show ? Very historical truck and the owner is a New Jersey native.As a matter of fact I heard he was thinking of running for N.J. governor . Maybe it was there but I just haven't seen all the photos.

18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Great coverage Mo

'Mo likes this.
  19. 'Mo

'Mo

Pository on the setting, JeffSled. "Kustoms by the Sea" says it all.
    Here's a night shot:

[​IMG]

Negatory on the Ayala truck, JeffSled.

It did make an appearance in the last year or two at TRJ Show, in its mid-fifties Bruce Geisler form.
    Such a thrill to see!
    [​IMG]

20. That's a shame it wasn't there,would of fit in nice. I really like and want that truck.

'Mo likes this.
  21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Good stuff, thanks for sharingm

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. 'Mo

'Mo

More fat-fender finesse...One fine forty one!

[​IMG]

This flawless mid-fifties Ford sounded as good as it looks, cruising the streets (at this height) with side pipes uncorked.
    Lopey cam, too!

[​IMG]

And what would a Jersey Kustom Car show be without a little excess?
    Ornate Lincoln is a four door.

[​IMG]

KCsledz likes this.
  23. TheFish

TheFish

Very cool thread. Bob K is everywhere!

24. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Buick sidetrim inside of hotrods also..... Time for remanufactored? Cool pics! Thanks MO' & Kustomrama brothers

25. Thank you 'Mo for taking the time to document this great show. It was one of the best events for me to be a part of. It was a pleasure to talk with you. We seem to share similar passions about customs.
    Thank you.

BloodyKnuckles

26. seatex

seatex

Great coverage for the "other half" of the show, thanks!

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

The pictures look great it was an awesome show for sure. I had a blast down there and was glad to be apart of this event with my 39.

28. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Well done Mo!!! I wish I could have been there with you. Thanks so much for your photos and your very interesting and informative narrative.

29. 'Mo

'Mo

Thank you all for the kind words. I can't tell you how much it means to me!

Good eye, jocktherock!

Likewise, Bloodyknuckles. Now, if we also shared similar skills, as well, I'd have been their in my '49!

Thank you, lockwoodcustoms. Your tub held down the corner spot well! I only wish I had caught better shots of it, before my camera quit. It certainly typified the occasion.
    Unfortunately, this is the best I can do. It was going in my next post, anyway, with the caption, "Try and spot the primary carbs."LOL. I love customs that get driven!

[​IMG]

Thank you, Dan! Watching you at work, and viewing your threads, has been a real inspiration to me.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  30. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, seatex. And this was the "Little half" of the show. LOL.
    It really was a special event. I figured the kustoms would get lost in the crowd in the general postings, and deserved their own emphasis.

I did start a thread focusing on the race cars on one of the sub-forums (Virginia HAMB'ers), if you'd like to check it out. Photos only (no commentary).

(EDIT; I've been informed that the following link is not accessible without permission. Sorry!) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/trog.945712/