Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Cheat on glass frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anteek49, Oct 5, 2014.

1. anteek49

anteek49

Getting back on my '51 olds hardtop custom. The frames for my sideglasses are junk. Has anyone cut new glass slightly oversize and polished the edges? I've found several pieces but they are rusted out under the chrome. The chromes lasts but the backing rusts away. Like to finish this car.

2. fordor41

fordor41

the problem would be that the frame is what is guiding the glass. glass alone probably would not travel up and down correctly and also would not seal against the rear side glass. try ebay.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

That isn't going to work with laminated glass, either. The stress from the glass running on the tracks, and hitting/sealing on the roof, and quarter glass will crack it.
    Frameless glass on later cars is 'tempered' for a reason!

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not sure how inclined you are to make your own, or if you have the shop equipment to do so, but the frames can be fabricated. There was a thread on here quite some time ago showing the steps to do exactly that.

Basically, it amounts to choosing one of two approaches. One method is to form a channel section from appropriate thickness material. Then bend/form the channel over a die, for instance a piece of steel plate, that has been cut to the correct radius/contour of the side glass it is to fit.

This will require some patient shaping, perhaps heating the channel to facilitate shrinking the sides
    of the channel as it is bent around the form. Metal finish it, sand and polish for chrome plating.

The other method would be to cut the sides of the channel to shape and bend a flat strip for the 'back' of the channel, and tig weld the three pieces into one......then metal finish........etc.

Ray

Frankie47 likes this.

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

try some 55-57 chevy hardtop frames and modify to work?

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^that suggestion causes me to add another thought. You aren't limited to Olds parts. I am assuming you have a Super 88 and, if so, '51 thru '53 Buick Special (and possibly '50/'51 Cadillac Series 61) shared the same basic GM "B" body shell with your Olds. Buicks, in particular, seem to be a bit more numerous.

If you have an Olds 98, Buick Super/Roadmaster and Cadillac Series 62 should be the same.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. 53choptop

53choptop

I agree with Hnstray's post regarding making your own, as an example I made my own frames out of 1/2 inch square tubing, by cutting one edge off, heated, bent, polished and chromed. Here is a pic of my Olds, 4 door conversion, chopped and hard topped. Finding good frames especially for Old's is getting hard, I found a set on ebay but it was too far pitted to save, thus having to make my own.

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

GREAT IDEA !!. to start with square tubing.....but I would bend it first and cut the 4th side off last as I think it would bend with less distortion when all intact.

Beautiful Olds too !!

Ray

9. You would have to modify all the window channels for the smaller size. I think I'd look at the tri five first. Maybe too small overall. In a few weeks I'll have an old set of frames from a 56 Pontiac. I'd be glad to give you any measurements that you need.

10. 53choptop

53choptop

Thanks Hnstray, and yes you are correct, bend it first then cut it. I figured that out the hard way, that is probably why it was still etched in my mind in that order.