Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'M GOING TO BUILD AN ALTERED.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My rpu project is on hold for a while because the 394 Olds is back in the machine shop, getting the mistakes made by the first machine shop 9 years ago corrected. Basically, the engine needs everything redone.........line bored, decked, bored 30 over, crank reground, heads redone, etc, etc. So all of that is going to take some time to do (and a lot more money :mad: but it will be right when I get it back.

In the meantime, I have this burning urge to go racing again. The first time I had been down the track in over 35 years was when I ran my 27 at the BP drags two years ago, and I loved it. But my 27 really isn't a track car and doesn't hook at all enough to make it competitive. So the alternative is that I am going to build a little altered and it will mostly be done in the old school ways. About 40 years ago I had a 32 Bantam roadster altered that had a 301CI Hilborn injected engine. It was a solid rear suspension car and that is what I am going to do this time too.

I fully realize that a coil sprung car would be better in most respects, but that isn't what I am after in this build. When I go to Turkey Run this Thanksgiving I am going to buy a fiberglass body and try to find a narrowed rear end and some of the other parts I will need. I would love to find another Bantam body, but they rarely show up there, so I will probably buy a 23 T body, and one with a turtle deck, if possible.

We will build the frame out of 1.5 x 3 x 1.25 wall tubing, and my Son Dan will do his magic on the cage for me. He has gotten really good bending tubing, from building his own Mustang drag car, and his tig welding has gotten very good, so that part will be easy to do.

I have the plan in my head, it will have 11 inch M and H slicks on American Torque Thrusts, a solidly mounted 9 inch with a spool and probably 4.10 gears. I have the Moon tank already (thanks to a nice gift from Ken on here a few years ago) and lots of the other parts, like a B and M TH350 trans and lots of SFI approved parts.

For the past few weeks I have been building the engine, it is a 20 over four bolt main 350 Chevy block with forged pistons and crank, some World Products Sportsman heads with a Summit cam and Harlan Sharp roller rockers. The intake is an Air Gap RPM and I am sending my Holley 750 to All American Carburetor on Monday to have it reworked. The motor will have no accessories and the water pump is an electric one.

I have no illusions about the car being a record setter, or competitive, but I want to get it into the low 10's and just have a blast driving it down the quarter. In essence, I will just be racing against myself, and that is fine with me. I just want a fun car that doesn't break stuff often. I'm shooting for under 1500 pounds, which should be doable.

Sorry for the long post, and when I get back from Turkey Run I will be able to post an update of what parts I found there. In the meantime, here are a couple of pictures of the motor I put together for it. Thanks for watching.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    1927graham likes this.
  2. oldolds

oldolds

I would buy a done chassis. Look on racejunk.com. The good deals for altereds seem to be Florida.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, cranking out a rectangular tube frame is basically a weekend project for us, and I can make the wb and all exactly how I want it, rather than using someone else's old frame. This way I can tailor it to the body and my position in the car a little better.

But I have heard Racing Junk has a lot of good deals.
    Don

Here is something along the lines of what I am planning:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    kidcampbell71 and saltflats like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hope you find a Bantam always had a love for them.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Me too. :) I could just order a body from Speedway, but they quote something like 10 weeks to get one and then there is the shipping cost. If I can pick up a body at Turkey Run I will toss it in the back of the pickup and save a couple of hundred on shipping and probably crating costs too. I've just never seen any Bantam bodies there, but there are a few guys selling 23 T bodies.

Don

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What about suncoast they close to you

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Oooooooohhhhhh ........... you gotta hold out for a Bantam brother :)

Where are you gonna race this Altered at here in Florida?

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't know who Suncoast is........do they make Bantam bodies ?

GLENN !!!!!!!!!! How the heck are you ? Haven't heard from you for a long time. There is a track down the road from us...........Immokalee (Sp), it's an 1/8 mile track, and Bradenton is just up the road. And then there are the BP drags (my favorite).

Don't be a stranger, Glenn.:)

Don

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Ohhhh Don !!!!!!!!!!

SunCoast Race Cars is just up the road from my house.
    Here is a link: http://www.suncoastracecars.com/
    Richard (owner) makes the Bantam Roadster AND :) the Coupe bodies (my favorite) :)

I've just been hibernating here at my shop doing a customers 61 Impala, and enjoying driving my 66 Chevy II Wagon as my daily driver. Are you on Facebook?

10. Love it! "Pure Hell" is one of my favorite race cars of all time!

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

following the dream, don

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, I don't do facebook, too old to learn new tricks. :rolleyes: How come I never heard of Suncoast ? WOW, they are right here in Fl and I could drive up and pick up my body. I love the 32 Austin and the Fiat Topo too. I WILL be calling them Monday to check out what they have available.

Thanks for the heads up.

Don

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

We must do lunch if you come this way for a Body :)
    There are other fiberglass body manufactures here in the state, but I'm not aware of any of the others doing the Bantam bodies.
    A few years back, I sold my Fiat Topilino body that hung from the ceiling in my shop. If I had not sold it, I would be building it today.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Lunch it is. I remember you selling that body, those are one of my favorites.

I just googled Homasassa (sp) it's only 202 miles from here, and Dan has a pickup. :) I might not wait till Turkey Run for my body. Thanks to you and saltflats for the lead.

Don

15. loudbang

loudbang

Awesome yet one more of your threads to follow. :)

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Check out "Hillbily Hot Rodz" for sale list. they did have an old altered roller for sale ($5500.!) that I salivated over for a while.Love those cars.Stock up on Depends! and GOOG LUCK-Keep the pictures coming.I just checked; it's still listed.

17. Going by your RPU build, im not going to miss this! Do you have any pics of your old racer? JW :)

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks for all the input, guys. No, when we moved from NC to California one time the movers lost boxes of ours and in them were a lot of family pictures. All the old pictures I had of everything were lost.

I'm pretty excited to hear about this place near Tampa that makes bodies, and will call them Monday for sure.

Don

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like everything you're doing except the turbo 350. Not only are they the most limp-wristed race transmissions you can try to build (several racers blew them up with alarming frequency) but the 1st gear ratio will also hurt the car's ability to launch properly. The energy is in the fuel. The more fuel burned efficiently the higher the HP. In order to burn the fuel you need to LOAD the motor as much as reasonably possible, especially at launch. A 'glide is the answer for what you want to do regardless of racing 1/8 or 1/4 mile. Read up on this for yourself, don't just take it from me. A 3500 stall in a 'glide with a brake will be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. The rest will fall into place and I'm sure you can produce a winner in many regards. And, you WILL post pics of the build, right? If not you're a weenie poo poo head...:cool:

loudbang, primeisnotacrime and Andamo like this.
  20. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Wow - im doing the same thing right now - I got my Bantam body from class glass they have the old A1 molds and it did not take long - the chassis 2x3x.125 is tig'd together and its a hard tail my tire are from towel city and the wheelbase is 94" - I will be using a hilborn injected (alky) magneto smallblock pg combo with no cooling system.......

21. Sounds like a plan. Solid rear always works in that style car. And I am right with you on building. That is the whole point for me. I watched my friend Bill Vilneff build the chassis for his cool V8 Chev VW gasser. In less then 4 hours he had a good chassis built, the front end narrowed and rear end bracketry done. He was a welder in the mining industry before retraining as a Auto mechanic and it was amazing to see what he could do and perfectly too in a short time. I just hung up the gloves on the sr dragster after 8 years of insane fun but haven't quit racing. Just need something slower and easier to get in and out of. I will be watching your build with interest. MAAS used to sell Bantams.

anyway goferit!
    don
    Here is some inspiration[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Just saying Don, ....... :)
    Gabby Bleeker [Courageous] of Chicago, IJ at Union Grove, WI in early 60s.jpg

Drewfus likes this.
  23. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I bought this one a couple weeks ago at the NEHRR in Epping. Bantam 003.JPG Bantam 004.JPG

It will be going on a R-16 style chassis.

24. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

I'm looking forward to following along

25. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

26. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

A and A specialties in California sells a Bantam also.

27. 26Troadster

26Troadster

don i'm subbed, and will be watching.

28. afaulk

afaulk

Hi Don, haven't seen much of you on here for a while. We never lose the urge for speed LOL. I'm in the same boat. Regarding Suncoast fiberglass parts....... You'd be much MUCH better off with a Hairy's Glass body (if they make what you want). They're in FL also and much higher quality than the Suncoast stuff I've worked over. P.S. One good glide=a truckload of Turbo 350's. I spent a lot of $$$ learning that. Have fun! Cheers, Allan

saltflats likes this.
  29. Jtg-3

Jtg-3
    from Huron Ohio

Hey brother,
    2 on craigs list #1 lima findlay ohio 1932 austin vintage race car 3950. (17 days ago ). #2 cincinatti ohio. 32 bantam roadster $2000. Firm (25 days ago) looks like a great start , good luck don't know if either still exist but might ...
    Jim

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am sure that Don is set on his chassis he just needs some glass.