Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drove a 32 Roadster Today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by agshelby, Oct 4, 2014.

1. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honestly, this is the most exciting moment in my recent memory. I had a bit of trouble with the downshifts down to first ( need some tips on a '40 Ford transmission) , but it was great once I was rolling. The car is a great driver and I put about 50 miles on it before locking it back up.

I am running'32 plates on it in Texas and they don't arrive til Tuesday - so didn't venture far due to no plates. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412462462.708775.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1412462481.460458.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Looks great,I know the feeling of that first drive..Congratulations! HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Very nice.Any side shots with the top up?

5. brady1929

brady1929

Great hot rod

6. Wow you done great!

7. Very nice Roadster, way Cool !!! JW

8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Thanks for sharing. This will be a day you will long remember and will encourage you to over come any future problems so you can enjoy some more good rides..............................

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Pure and simple: If you don't know how to double clutch, you DON'T downshift a 3 speed into 1st gear.

Mpls 40 likes this.
  10. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Cool roadster, Congrats!

11. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, what Dale said.
    Transmissions with synchro low gear are a relatively modern invention.
    Unless you've been driving semi tractor trailers, you've got a bit of a learning curve ahead of you.;)

12. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been taught the method of 'double clutch' - but don't have the feel down 100%. For now I am avoiding down shifting at all into first and working on my technique as I shift into first from idle at lower rpms. I can do it - it just isn't at at point where it is a natural movement, yet.

13. Nice car. You did good..................

14. roundvalley

roundvalley

15. when down shifting try going to second with foot off gas before going to first

16. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414955008.559300.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414955133.903894.jpg

500 miles behind the wheel - Loving the Central Texas weather. Ran into a couple of nice 3 windows here in San Antonio - and a nice OT Impala.

Getting ready to make a few minor changes to make it my own - lowering (or replacing) the seat, and adjusting the headlight position due to tire rubbing at lock. I have a set of smaller guide headlights that I am going to fit and see how they change the look.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice ride. Congratulations!

18. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have been busy driving the car - have about 1200 miles on it so far. I swapped out the clutch for a '50 Merc unit (much less pedal effort), removed the rear bumper, changed the headlights & exhaust, went to bias tires ... just about "done" for now. The only remaining items are the interior, some pin striping, and then I am going to lower the rear by reversing the spring eyes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Rich B. like this.
  19. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's been rain pretty much every week - so driving has been stalled. Can't complain about the rain in central Texas -
    So doing some minor tweaks:

I fitted some hood tie down straps and did a little painting of the toe boards and transmission cover. Polished the headers, fixed an oil leak, cleaned little parts .... I need some sunshine. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434821783.443745.jpg

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Nice Roadster. Have fun.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picked up some parts for a longer term engine project. I've already heard that I'm crazy for going backwards in technology - save your time and just ignore if you don't agree. I think it's a great fit for this car.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449843293.762163.jpg

22. alchemy

alchemy

I DO AGREE! I love flatheads. Hopefully you will too after the conversion.

23. Yep, we vote FLATHEAD too.
    We have five - three that run and two more builders.

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. reefer

reefer

You'll think you've left the handbrake on and that there is a hole in your gas tank...lol.

belair and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. oj

oj

Flatties are the tits, go for it!

27. Did you just buy the car? I like most of the "improvements". The forty trans will be much friendlier if you come to a stop before trying to put it in first gear. You can do it rolling at low speed. Yep, most newer stuff (mid sixties) had syncrho's. Tim

28. Tim, remember when you shift up through the gears (1-2-3) you naturally allow the engine RPM to drop a few hundred RPM to engage the next gear; the exact opposite is true as come down (3-2-1) through the gears, you increase the engine RPM to engage the next lower gear. Since your trans has no synchros for first gear you will have to keep your left foot OFF the clutch pedal and moderately increase RPM and gently pull the lever back toward 1st gear until you FEEL the gears gently "tick tick tick" together. The RPM you go up to to move the car at 5 or 10 mph is the same RPM you will need to engage the trans as you come down...it's definitely a FINESSE move, no "blipping, jazzing or punching" that throttle. I spent 40 years in a Peterbilt ready mix truck with a Roadranger trans in L.A. traffic; the only time you need the clutch is at a full stop. Patience, you'll get it. By the way that's a REALLY NICE RIDE!