Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Roadster Body - a new approach. AKA Beetledeuce

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by english gent, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Kinky6

Kinky6

No, I think he was calling your claim of having no talent to be malarkey. Carry on; you have a rapt audience of weld daubers and tin bashers over here! Kinky6

2. Uh... about the metal working...... remember they call it an "English Wheel".
    Then you have beautiful Jaguar XK 120 bodies.
    This may turn out waaay cool!

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm sold on the cowling so far... Gent says he has ideas for 1/4 panels; Doors look to be 'elementary' for this craftsman.

4. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

Interesting way to create a vision. Subscribed.

5. volvobrynk,is a good guy but like many of us the humor is subjective....He lives in Denmark..get it! :DHRP

Hnstray and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Oh, I didn't think it had anything to do with the fact volvobrynk is in Denmark.

I do read his expression as a joke though.

He's just saying that the truth here is hidden under the generous tonneau of the English Gent's modesty. :cool:

Hnstray and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Whatever the outcome, I admire your creativity and vision. This should be fun to follow.

8. I'll follow along. Good Luck.

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

You are all three almost right, partisualy.

I was trying to qoute Shakesbear, make a point about that we have more then one rotten bug in Denmark.
    I too feel like a "Hack" (or without skills) compared to some of the talents on the HAMB, and is from Denmark. Jokes on me.
    But my big thumbs, and slow editing, enden up look stupid. So sorry, old sport. All in good fun.

and ULU; you are more Funny then I ever will be able to look, at least on print! With the few words I know, my spelling, and my thumbs. :) ;)

You can says I'm a all thumbs on, kind a guy. At least ten of them, but I do try. B-)

But please post more. This is so great, and so not about me

Hnstray likes this.
  10. english gent

english gent
    from England

Wow, this thread is becoming surreal!!!!
    On a serious point, this project will be carried out using a mig and a grinder (and maybe one or two new ideas along the way). No English wheel, no bead roller etc. So potentially it could be replicated by anyone with those tools and an old Beetle. It's about using what's available when you start cutting up an old Bug.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This build is (as many say) fascinating! I really want to see this come together and don't worry about 'skills' a great number of members can't run the metal working machines, me included! Though I could put you back together in a bad accident!!
    I don't know why as I am not a VW fanatic but I like to see a well built VW Hot Rod with little trace of it's origins. Though, thinking about it maybe that is why I like to see this!!
    Keep up the good work!

Doc.

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

LOL...I've stepped through the floor of one or two myself. :D

13. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

We used to say out west, in our blind machismo, "Anybody can restore a car, but it takes a real man to cut one up!" as we were hacking off roofs and fenders with aplomb.

The truth is that anyone can cut one up, but few can put it back into something worthwhile.

Rock on Gent!

MyCrustyVW and Kan Kustom like this.
  14. english gent

english gent
    from England

Next I tackled the area where the screen post had been.
    To create the shape that runs across the top of the dash, I used the piece of the Beetle that runs across the top of the windscreen. SP_A0371.jpg SP_A0372.jpg SP_A0373.jpg SP_A0374.jpg SP_A0376.jpg SP_A0377.jpg SP_A0378.jpg SP_A0379.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  15. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Looking good. At first I thought you were putting the gauge panel on the wrong side, then I remembered you folks drive on the wrong side of the road :(. Or,......maybe I drive on the wrong side of the road :oops:. Stu

16. english gent

english gent
    from England

I bought a glovebox door from your side of the pond Stu, then welded it in to make a flat dash, so this car could be left hand drive. 20120211_121310a.jpg

17. english gent

english gent
    from England

More detail. 20120211_173932a.jpg
    20120211_184622a.jpg 20120211_184641a.jpg 20120211_184706a.jpg 20120218_134105a.jpg 20120218_144206a.jpg 20120218_181147a.jpg 20120222_145452a.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  18. curiously waiting to see the finished car... subscribed

19. Squablow

Squablow

Lots to do yet, but looking promising so far, I'm still on board.

20. Do you have a means of calculating your dimensions? I always wanted a laser measure scanning set, for modeling and mock up, but the cost is still on the ridiculous side. You appear to be adept at dimensional studies already, with your art pieces and what have you. What's your "scale" going to be with this body? Templates, patterns, free hand? Pretty neat so far man.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm right along with you, and was elated to see the 'roll' around the front of the cockpit, in anticipation of the doors and their planned gunwales!
    The former hood separation line is a strong indication of the point you are about to make with the planning and execution of the cowl shape.
    You are at the point that most could say, "All right, I can take it from here..." (not that they could literally run with it, but as a visual comprehension? There would be no doubt that you indeed have an anticipated solution for the doors and quarters! I, for one, can't wait)

22. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

Lots of pictures, details and explanations.
    I'm in. Keep it going.
    Matt

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is awesome. It's gonna be epic!
    I'm so looking forward, to seeing the rear.
    :D

24. english gent

english gent
    from England

I did spend a fair bit of time collecting dimensions from drawings and plans of the Model B, mostly found on the HAMB. I tried to translate that as much as possible to this build, although I'm not being obsessive about it.
    I think the most important thing is to keep measuring and try to keep everything square.
    Templates and patterns are useful, but I also rely on my eye to make sure things look right and proportional.
    Another good thing about this build is that I can decide to change a dimension from the original if I want, for example I can decide the length of the door, and I know some steel body suppliers offer a longer door as an option.

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. english gent

english gent
    from England

Glad you like the work around the cockpit Mike, although you are wrong about what I will do with the cowl top (even though there are some nice lines which could offer different options).

26. english gent

english gent
    from England

You're gonna love the rear!

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. I dig it. I want a track nose Phaeton, with an extended cowl and doors. Have a few sideways glances at that suggestion, but for me....it just works. I figured close enough, will work well in an artist's eye.......yes.....proportions are everything. Ford inspired, but Simon spun.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just clicked on your above links and the photos came out clear. Bob

29. Great work and imagination. Anxiously awaiting progress.