Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods california hot rod reunion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vicksrods, Sep 3, 2014.

1. vicksrods

vicksrods

Dad and I missed the reunion in Bowling Green this year because of some health issues, so I told him I would take him out to california for the reunion out there. This is my first time out so I'm looking for some ideas from the folks that make it to this show every year. Lets hear the do's and dont's of the show. We will be driving out in my 65 Impala SS ( I know its not HAMB freindly) My Dad bought this car for me in 82 it was my first car. We have been working on it getting it ready to go, rebuilt engine,trans, new interior...etc. So lets hear some advice.

pila38 likes this.
  2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Buy a carshow entry, gets you 2 passes and lets you park in the pits close to the stands. BIG gathering at the DoubleTree hotel Fri night starts at around 5:30 and they will Cackle some cars when it gets dark., Hotels might be scarce and pricey if you can find a room. For Breakfast go to HODELS on Olive Dr. Buffet style, around $8 all you can eat and fast (dinner $12)Some Hortels offer a free continental breakfast in the morning so drop $20 off the room rate to be realistic.

3. get there EARLY on saturday. the traffic backs up a LONG way from the gate.

4. vicksrods

vicksrods

Thanks for the info I wasn't too sure if they had the whole car show deal at this one that's good to know. I think our motel has a continental breakfast. I hope so cause we are defiantly straining our budget on this trip ..., but its one of those things that you just have to do when you get the chance. My Dad grew up out there and he's excited about showing me around...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

loudbang likes this.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I went for the first time last year. My first trip to California(we flew). By the weekend package and upgrade to reserve seating. It dosen`t cost to much more plus the seats are the best. They are positioned so you can see the cars in the staging lane. Also you can sit at round tables with umbrellas at the starting line. The first day I was there I thought they were reserved for V I P, not so. The stands were less than 50% full, sometimes less than 25% on the reserved side. Take extra cash, there is also a swapmeet. Thursday we were able to walk around the drag strip and scope the place out free of charge. We never expirenced heavy traffic , I guess we always got there early and went in the back way and stayed off the interstate. The one thing I was amazed about was the number of people that left right before the cacklefest started.

loudbang likes this.
  6. vicksrods

vicksrods

I got an email today from someone at NHRA and he was telling me that only on saturday could we park inside and that all we needed was a general admission ticket to do so, also that space was limited and on a first come basis and if we couldnt get in we would have to park out in the dirt?? wth? Is this guy misinformed? Iwould hate to drive my car all the way there and have to leave it in a parking lot and not be able to keep an eye on it. seems to be a vastly different setup than Bowling Green. Oh well I'm going anyway we"ll just figure it out when we get there.

7. From my experience, each individual "gatekeeper" makes up their own rules. I enjoy the event but you'd think a sponsor like AAA would get it together.

8. Randy Bradford

Randy Bradford

First thing try to get a hotel room the whole city gets filled up. Come by and say Hi to us at Bradfords Fiat

Randy

9. vicksrods

vicksrods

Randy , we have our hotel and we will look you up thanks

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

could just buy a swapmeet vendor pass plus a ticket for pops and park your ride inside the grove. Sorry about the confusion, seems like thay change things around every year.

11. vicksrods

vicksrods

That's a good idea .... Never thought about that

12. DIXON

DIXON

Has anyone ran there car in exhibition at this event before? I've been many times but I've never brought a car to run, I hear its pretty hectic and the exhibition class is kind of the "guinea pigs" of the strip after oil downs. Is it worth the money? About how many runs you get in? ....
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

13. DIXON

DIXON

Anyone?