Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1964 Comet hardtop (rust-top) replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fairlaniac, Oct 3, 2014.

1. fairlaniac

fairlaniac
    from Denver, PA

I’m looking for opinions on a roof project I need to do. I’m working on my ’64 Comet. The roof is rusted pretty good along both gutters and somewhat around the front corners. I’ve pulled some of the rusted roof skin. I drilled out the spot welds and took a snipper to remove a section. The structure under the skin looks good, no associated rot. However cutting all of the spot welds out will take a while and when I get another roof I will have to cut out all of those spot welds and then re-weld them. I will be picking up a roof that is cut at the bottom of each post (hardtop). So as I look at things and think of the various roof chopping projects people have done it makes me wonder. Would it be easier to cut my roof off on the four posts and the rust free used roof, cut off at the same area and just reweld the posts? I know I’d have tons of measuring of the window openings to make sure it goes back and the windshields fit. I’m a hobby welder but am comfortable with doing the welding. Just looking for pros and cons between replace skin or the whole roof? [​IMG]
    Thanks,

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I would put on a whole donor roof. Gary

loudbang likes this.
  3. Your dealing with a unibody car. the roof rails and the pillars are extremely important to the overall structural integrity of the entire car. If you don't fully understand unibody design & structural sectioning, or have ANY doubts about you welding skills, get some help from a professional. Better yet, find another car.

65COMET likes this.