Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bodi's 1964 C10 build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, Jun 13, 2012.

1. endlessearth

endlessearth

Great thread and great pics Bodi. I can't believe I just found it for the first time. I love how you drive the truck absolutely everywhere. Plus, you are a class act in helping Chip with both of my builds. I feel part of the story since your truck has been at my house and there is even a picture in this thread of the rear axle from my old A sitting in the bed. I look forward to getting my truck back on the road (actually I heard that you and Chip took it for a bit of a drive the other day and I wonder what you thought of it) because you inspire me to put on miles.

Grant

2. I would, but, my penny farthing is so much more stylish. :p

3. Always glad to help on anything I can, and learn every bit I can Grant. Thanks for letting me tag along on your builds. I learn something on everything I get to work on, so, I won out on both those builds. I'm excited for your truck to be out on the road. I was really impressed with the ride the other day. I'd say that yours should stack on the miles a little easier than mine. It's a damn impressive truck. You should be really happy with the direction you went. I can't wait to see the use you get out of it.:)

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, the stylish part is that headlight you wear on your forhead that looks a little like a jockstrap.... :D But perhaps I have said too much.

5. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Very cool truck,wish I had one like it. Harvey

6. donsz06

donsz06

Great truck & great thread! I just started working on my `65 this winter. Hopefully I`ll get to drive the wheels off it like you. Great job.

7. thats a cool little truck w/ an adventure ....

8. dixiedog

dixiedog

Bodi - found this thread searching for a front bumper for my 65 suburban on google.
    I have a question - how do you like the 4 wheel drum brakes?
    I have a complete disc to disc 71 C-10 set up but dont want to go thru the 5 lug rear end change up.
    I have the same 292 with the SM 4speed with the Offenhouser manifold I just bought a 500 cfm eldebrock but havent got it running yet. After seeing your throttle cable set up I am going to turn my carb around and get a longer cable.

9. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Nice C10. Just stumbled across this thread. The orange Roper / Sears mini bike in the rear of the bed of your truck looks real similar to my childhood mini bike that resides in the back of my '65 C10. Wouldn't be interested in selling the front fork, or maybe the whole bike would ya?

[​IMG]

10. Hey, I know you! You're that guy who widened that step side box! I read that thread with great interest, and have told numerous people about it. That turned out awesome. The two complete mini bikes in those photos got stolen last winter in Phoenix. I still have the one that is apart in that photo. I was planning on hauling it back to Phoenix with me here in a week or so, and maybe fiddling with it over the winter. I'm not highly attached to it, so, I may be willing to part with it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    lakeroadster likes this.
  11. The drum brakes will stop one of these trucks just fine. My C10 has the single pot reservoir, and while I understand people's reservations about using such things, I haven't had any problems. I've put thousands of miles on this truck, often pulling a trailer, or hauling heavy loads, and never had the brakes get hot, or felt like I was in danger. Please keep in mind that I am careful on highway passes, when pulling my trailer or hauling heavy loads, not to over use my brakes. That, and frequent inspections are what's key to surviving with these older braking systems. Heck, the whole truck for that matter.

The biggest problem for any drum brake is HEAT. When people ride them, or over use them, they have the potential to heat the brake fluid, and that is when you get brake fade. With that SM420 4spd, and that 292, you should NEVER be in jeopardy of over using the brakes. Simply let the engine do your braking (use your gears) on long grades, and you will be fine. For around the town driving, they are plenty adequate.

12. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Dixie Dog I would 2nd Bodi's comments on the 4 wheel drum brakes. My '65 C10 also has the stock drum brakes, but I am running a SBC and Muncie M-21. Braking is more than adequate; this assumes you have previous experience driving a 4 wheel drum brake equipped vehicle and drive accordingly.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's almost time for the annual Bodi southern migration! 'Course, he's too busy squishing apples today to notice... Bodi, post that vid of your Johny Apleslaughter device for the world to see... Please?

14. I'm trying. Just can't seem to get them to link using my tablet. I'll work on it. I guess I could also put some recent photos of the truck on here... It hasn't looked like that in a long time!