Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NC Bonded Title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ffr1222k, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Has anyone here ever had to do a bonded title in NC? If so, what was your experience?

I have a title and a death certificate and a letter from the clerk of courts office that identifies the administratrix of the estate as the person that signed the title, but it is a copy of an original and the DMV wants an original. I have had the car a long time and can't find the person that signed the title. It doesn't help that the title is a VA title and I am in the Charlotte area.

I do have the original title.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just finished one early this year. Not expensive but neither me or my insurance company understood what ncdot wanted.

Finally, one of the very nice ladies at ncdot called my insurance company and got it straightened out for me. Don't expect the process to go quickly but they will take care of you if the car has no history of being stolen, etc.

First step is to call a local inspector to come out and check the vehicle.

3. dudley32

dudley32

I've brought bikes and cars in from non-title states...sort of a slow process...but if your paperwork is good, it will move along...

4. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Go with rockable's advise and call your insurance agent. That would be a very good start in NC....................

5. Thanks guys. I do have the title and it is signed by the executor of the estate, I have the death certificate and a copy of the letter from Chesterfield County VA showing the executor put up a $75,000 bond and the county appointed her as the executor. DMV wants an original sealed letter from Chesterfield County showing her the executor.

6. Fenders

Fenders

Just ask the county for a certificate of appointment. They should give you one (an original, sealed one) for a few bucks.

7. Clint Lovell

Clint Lovell

You should be able to get a certified true copy from the county clerk's office, as this was probably part of the succession documents when the estate was probated. I don't know about NC, but in Louisiana and Texas, I believe the certified true copy would be acceptable.

8. Fender1325

Fender1325

Nice to see a fellow Charlotte NC hamber!

I got my caddy from SC. Finally got the paper work and was ready to transfer the title. This car had so many owners that there was a problem (in the DMV's eyes) with a title transfer from some owners decades ago. The guy was dead for all I knew but they wanted HIS signature. I went back to the dealer in SC who quickly wrote up the paperwork, signed it, and notarized it and back I went. That time they allowed it. They make it so difficult here and you have to wait in line every time just for some small correction. Big pain. After that they sent a lady out to inspect the vehicle - all the numbers had to match on the title and engine, then a few weeks later I had my title. Bit of a roller coaster ride. Good luck to you.

9. VA will only give the certificate of appointment to the administrator. It has been so long (11 years) that she will have to do a new certificate. I think I am going to do the bonded title.

I never had a clue this would be an issue.

10. xracer40

xracer40

I just bought my 32 ford from the estate of a local guy.(WV) His sister was the executrix of the estate and she gave me a copy of her copy of the order confirming her as the estate executrix. It was stamped by the county clerk confirming it as a true copy of the original and also showed the recording fee and page no. of the book where it was recorded. WV DMV simply made a copy of the order and took my sales tax and I was on my way.
    On the subject of sales taxes, I found this on the WV Request For Vehicle Information form.
    -Form 62 - Fees and Privilege Tax Paid At Titling - $5.00-
    Insurance companies and others with a legal reason to do so, can find out how much you paid for a car and the sales tax you paid. If you were to file a claim for say 25,000 damages and they check and see you only paid 5000 for the car they could easily deny your claim for giving false information. If you have saved receipts,bill of sales,etc. to show where you have increased the value your vehicle you will be Ok. Also getting up to date appraisals showing were simply over time the market value of you ride has increased.
    Bottom line is building,owning and driving traditional hot rods is based on the past, but the information age has caught up to us and big brother is watching.o_O Get your projects or cars titled as soon as possible,suck it up and pay the taxes:eek: and then get to building,grinding,chopping and driving your ride.:)

11. To get my NC Bonded title I did what the DMV License & Theft inspector instructed me to do. I first had to get 2 appraisals from licensed dealers,stating their estimate of the value of my car. I took those to a bonding service in Charlotte. They wrote the three year bond for 1 1/2 times the highest appraisal amount....bond fee was 3% of appraisal amount...I then took the paperwork to the inspector..He had to verify and document a few numbers on the car and.shortly after , put my Assigned VIN sticker on the car
    I then was able to register the car..Local tag office took care of that..
    The DMV has an L&T office in Town, so it was as a fairly fast procedure...where it really took a long time was when the paperwork got to Raleigh
    Took about 3 weeks to go thru that quagmire..I have found out since ,that if you appear in Raleigh in person with all your paper work in order,they process walk-ins right then..(sounds to good to be true , might want to calll first..)
    Stan

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    BradinNC likes this.
  12. I just surrender to my local title service. Professionals. Saves the hassle. I've paid from $60 to $380 tops, including their fees. The higher amount was a truck sold and resold and resold again, without any transfers whatsoever. A real pain in the ass.....and believe it or not....all car dealers and auction houses. Bastards aren't supposed to do that......but they sure did. Obviously, a vehicle sold with no issues will never see said title service.......but when pain in the ass time comes...pick up the phone, and find one. You'll never screw with it again.