Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Gas Stations with Drag Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Oct 2, 2014.

1. BobG

BobG

Does anyone have any old pictures of old gas stations with drag cars sitting in the lot or service bays... this was a common thing during the earlier days,
    Most stations had service bays back then, several of them always had a drag car sitting inside or parked outside during business hours.
    Thanks

Baron, volvobrynk, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  2. 4tford

4tford

This was taken at my buddies gas station mid 1960's. 54 ford ran f/hot rod. station was small two pump with a pit outside you can see the 54 ford parked to the side.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and BHoover like this.
  3. Ohhh, I hope this thread takes off... I was a kid in the 60's & 70's and remember what a treat/thrill it was when dad drove by or pulled into a service station with a drag car parked in one of the service bays or along the perimeter of the property. I would study those things as best I could, as they fueled my imagination for model car building.

Gotta56forme/Scott

loudbang likes this.
  4. Great idea for a thread!

5. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I agree, when I was in high school ('56-'60), many small independent gas stations had race cars, be they circle or drag strip. It was not uncommon to see them in one of the bays when you got gasoline. Hope this thread takes off.

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

It is a great idea for a thread. I remember as a kid looking for drag cars at gas stations and there were a few drag cars at stations I worked at. The last station was leased by Jack Fruehauf for his son Dave to help him take on more business responsibility. Dave was a good guy and he raced his 69 Camaro big block with Dave Kanners (Kanners had his own Camaro at the time), just prior to Kanners hooking up with American Motors. We had to start the Camaro every night and pull it in the bay with open headers and pull it out first thing in the morning, rain or shine. Always enjoyed a little noise to start out or end the day.

7. unkamort

unkamort

Tougher than it sounds... I could only come up with this from my stash

Attached Files:

8. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Great Thread....In the late 60's I owned a D-X service station and also had a '55 Chevy C/Gas drag car. The station was a 1 bay so the car was parked in side every night and sat out side during business hours, some times I would drive the Gasser to lunch, NOW THAT WAS FUN...

9. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Oh, I hope this thread really soars! I can remember being at those service stations when I was a youngling with my father when he was visiting his buddies. It seemed like they all had a drag car that would be stored inside the bays overnight and pushed outside in the morning to work on customers cars. As I type this I remember a certain smell that all those places seemed to have that I haven't smelled in a very long time. I miss that smell . . .

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. 1941coupe

1941coupe

this stock car was parked in a gas station a few block away from my house back in the late fiftys,it raced at Freeport stadium on long island, it is now at marty himes museum in bayshore I seen it in july at martys place. pics of then and now...memorys

Attached Files:

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

12. The loss of service stations is the major reason kids today have little interest in cars. They were where we saw, hung out, and learned. No place to do that today, and no place to keep one if they are interested.

jakespeed63, volvobrynk and TagMan like this.
  13. Good topic!

Dustin

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

I know a lot of us older guys remember when almost every gas station/repair shop had a racecar of some kind sitting out front. Drag, roundy, or other. Bonus, if it was somewhat successful, was a calling card that these guys know their shit. Man, I sure miss those days. :(

Great thread topic, I hope this one goes many pages. Hopefully it will, as long as it stays within the '65 & older parameters. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  15. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Yeeeeeha !!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  16. seatex

seatex

^^^^ HOLY MOLY!!!!^^^^That things looks plain NASTY!:eek::eek::eek:

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

gearheadruss, love that picture of the Chevy gasser!!! Reminds me of CT in the early 60s when I would see the street driven Chevy coupe gassers of the Drag-n-Runs at gas stations in Bristol.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Love the coupe pulling coupe in front of car wash in post 15.

bondolero and volvobrynk like this.
  19. BobG

BobG

I got my start in Denver with a couple of racers that ran a Par Servce Station, they had a 55 Chevy and 56 Chevy, both cars would sit outside during the week.

i have pics but cant get them to upload

20. mj40's

mj40's

In the beginning 1968. F/MP
    [​IMG]
    My coupe in early 70's.

[​IMG]

21. CGkidd

CGkidd

Awesome thread. Let's see if anymore of those pics can get dug out.

22. Jibs

Jibs

My 68 Vet, white wheels with cheater slicks sitting in front of my Dads Sunoco station. You meant street racers also, right?

Attached Files:

23. not a gas station, but a garage...

[​IMG]

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

25. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Becks was a major gas station back in the day. beck4.jpg beck5.jpg

jakespeed63, volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Ahhhh.......... those were the days, the Sinclair station I worked at had 2 Drag Cars, and '55 Chevy with a 292 and 4 speed and a Plymouth Road Runner with a 383 4 speed. They used to do practice launches across the drive and past the pumps full throttle all the time.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Great idea for a thread...Should we include local car dealers efforts?
    ( not necessarily traveling manufacturers' clinics)

Keep it going.. I've got a few to scan this weekend

volvobrynk likes this.