Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. with that rear body treatment i bet a tail wind wouldn't help the fuel mileage.:D

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey, that's a little better.
    seagrave weight 001.jpg

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

There's a reason that those old trucks had big fuel tanks. They had to be able to go places withing the city limits and run the pumps long enough to put out the fires. :rolleyes:

4. was that weight with the extra baggage ?
    remember the ign was not set right for alot of the cruze ....so maybe 2.5 mpg is possible

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You could cut a hole in the back gate of the hauler, hinged at the bottom. Gate goes up and hatch opens so the tail can stick out.

6. yonahrr

yonahrr

Now that I know the speedster weighs 3 tons, I don't think the little 318 will pull it. I thinking of other options. I'll have winter to think it over.

Jerry

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just build a fuel tank that fills the boat tail and you should be good to drive it on short trips. :rolleyes:

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

or pull a fuel wagon behind the speedster for pit stops o_O:rolleyes:

9. Oh oh oh. I know....how about a fuel supply from tanker zeppelin. They can't be to hard to make

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

I thought about a custom tank that fits into the boattail. I figure I need about 50 gallons. That'll give me about 100 miles.
    Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Where is the fun in that? A fuel wagon built out of a P-51 belly tank would complete the look. They are 165 gallon capacity so you would have a good range with the giant speedster. One is available now on evilbay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-P-...-TankHot-Rod-Rat-Rod-Street-Rod-/261517527340

12. Geez, Jerry- you must've forgotten to take that side of Yak out of the freezer on the passenger side running board :D!

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

6,000 pounds! Amazing. That's gotta be 5,500 pounds chassis and driveline and 500 pounds Speedster.

14. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

Also give you 300+ lbs of weight.

15. hmm is NOS tech vintage enough?

16. yonahrr

yonahrr

And I'm back.

Sorry for the absence. I've been crawling out and under the speedster about a hundred times. The gas gauge has not worked right. This is critical when you only get 2MPH and your tank is 16 gallons. The sender is a Mustang and the gauge is a Dolphin. The sender that came with the gauge was a big clunky thing and would have never fit in the tank. In typical Jerry fashion I just put it all together and figured I'd make it work somehow. Hah! Well, surprise the two systems--Ford and Dolphin--worked backwards. Had I gotten it to work, it would have made the gauge go from empty to full. I didn't like that, besides it didn't work anyway. So I took off the little can on the sender, turned it around and then drilled a hole for the pivot arm to go through. I bent the arm and finagled and tested and measured with my ohm meter and finally thought I got it right. But when I filled up the tank the gauge moved about a hand's width off the E. Damn! I drained the tank removed the sender and checked the float. When I worked the sender by hand the gauge worked okay but in the tank it didn't work. I drained and refilled about ten times. I even crawled into the boattail and looked down the filler hole to see if the float was moving. Eventually--yesterday--I realized two things. The float was not on the bottom of the tank and the float arm was too long and wasn't allowing the float to go all the way to the top of its stroke. I bent the arm and in effect shortened it about an inch. After I went all over town to find a new o-ring for the sender, I refilled and checked. Yes, it worked. Well good enough. With a full tank the gauge reads 1/2 and at empty it reads E. Perfect!

Jerry

Attached Files:

17. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

[Jerry,
    Perhaps you need a back-up system. The gas gauge for my model T rarely gives trouble.
    [​IMG]

I once was involved with a Centurion tank that had the same range as your speedster - 32 miles.
    But the tank held 200 gallons, Imperial ones at that, of 100 octane avgas. The V12 RR aircraft engine
    was very thirsty. (7.5 US gal. per mile) Feel better?

choppedtudor likes this.
  18. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey Jack,
    Our ID plates are getting close. I just looked at the proof so I expect the pre-etched plate probably next week. How can you win a war with a range of 32 miles?
    Jerry

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I suggested a way to increase the capacity tenfold, then you would have the range to win the war :rolleyes:

20. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

Awesome series! I'm trying to find out the times and dates now.
    Jerry

22. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

23. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey, that's got a lot neat stuff on it mine didn't! I'm thinking awesome rat rod speedster.

Jerry

24. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

I was watching the RM auction live from Hersey on Sat. and a speedster like yours, except it had an open body sold for 105,000 dollars.

25. Now this is the end of a long day for the ole' spinal column.......what a read ! I've been saving up to tackle this thread, and yes.....it was worth the back spasms........that thing is awesome sir ! What an epic car !! So many thoughts, and "what its?".... but with all work you put in, that I didn't.....I would never be so callous to ask. Great, great, great result man ! What a smile it is driving....I'll bet. Kudos brother !

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. yonahrr

yonahrr

Thanks kidcampbell1171!

I watched the tale end of that auction. I missed the speedster. I'll have to go back and look.

I worked on the generator today. I put it all together and tried to figure out how to make it charge. I got it to motor, but that doesn't check the armature. I pretty sure the armature is fine, though. I figure I can eliminate the third brush--who needs that thing any way? According to my research it's an externally grounded field type. I don't think I had it wired up correctly on my homemade test platform. I'll try again tomorrow.

Jerry

Attached Files:

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

28. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

[​IMG]

Jerry,
    Did you notice the power steering cylinder on the tie rod?
    The ALF looks great but not nearly as memorable as the Giant Speedster.
    Jack

29. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

Yeah, I definitley like yours better!

30. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

Have to agree. Your red monster looks better.